Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I find it hilarious how the same people who'd laugh at the iPhone because "a glass phone makes absolutely no sense" are now defending the use of glass in the Nexus 4, saying it feels premium. It's hilarious.

As for the phone sliding on an "almost level" surface, that's not hard to do, especially when it vibrates the phone can move. Secondly, if the glass isn't strong enough on the back when the phone does vibrate/rattle it can cause cracks in the class. If the glass isn't very strong temperature differences can also cause the glass to crack.

It would also be interesting to see how the phone is weighted, compared to an iPhone 4/4S, as that can affect how it falls when it does fall.

The iPhone, being a factorably smaller device, also is less likely to get spider webbed the way the Nexus 4 is due to how compact the glass is, comparatively speaking. It's like dropping a 4 3.5" vase and not having it crack, and then being surprised that a bigger 5" vase cracks on the same drop. The larger surface area does affect it's integrity, at similar thicknesses. And with the way the back glass is constructed, it was an accident waiting to happen, anyways.

Additionally, the fact that a lot of people have dropped and cracked their iPhones isn't a 1:1 comparison. There are an order of a magnitude more iPhone 4/4S devices than Nexus 4s out in the wild, so the percentages simply do not line up equivalently.

This phone requires a case. People have been saying this since before it was released. It will never change. It's probably the most fragile smart device produced, ever.

Apple went from Glass to Aluminum for a reason. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to go there, now...

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I find it hilarious how the same people who'd laugh at the iPhone because "a glass phone makes absolutely no sense" are now defending the use of glass in the Nexus 4, saying it feels premium. It's hilarious.

here is the thing, a glass backed phone DOES feel more premium than a plastic back. However, it also makes it more fragile. There are pros and cons for having a glass back as well as for having a plastic. It is possible to like both for different reasons.

in other news, I dropped my N4 on concrete this morning. No cracks on glass but the silver rim got scuffed up on one corner. =(

nigeljennings

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
here is the thing, a glass backed phone DOES feel more premium than a plastic back. However, it also makes it more fragile. There are pros and cons for having a glass back as well as for having a plastic. It is possible to like both for different reasons.

in other news, I dropped my N4 on concrete this morning. No cracks on glass but the silver rim got scuffed up on one corner. =(

Wow, bet you feel lucky, :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
In talking with one of the materials engineers at my office, glass is not a bad substance to use to make things, especially hardened glass.

However glass can and will break and nothing can stop that, can it break easier than say plastic, according to the engineer that depends on the pressures applied to it.

He went on to say that the iPhone used a weaker glass than what is commercially available today (he did not know the specifics of the Nexus 4's glass) and one reason for it being a bad choice 2 years ago.
To those pointing out that Apple no longer uses glass in their mobile handsets, one explanation could simply be a design change which could be completely unrelated to the strength of glass.

My point, no material is damage proof and to suddenly believe that the Nexus 4's materials are stronger than the laws of physics is silly.

Dan

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
no material is damage proof and to suddenly believe that the Nexus 4's materials are stronger than the laws of physics is silly.
yes that is silly but the question is what is the best material for a phone? plastic? glass? aluminum? personally i think aluminum is because it feels premium and is more durable than glass. but i am hearing all kinds of things about aluminum scratching so i guess all you need are back/side screen protectors and your good. hell thats better than an otterbox or some of the other "bullet proof" cases that some people feel the need to get with the n4.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the rubberized material that htc uses is the best way to go. Matte finish, solid feel, not scratches or breaking....

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have no opinion on it either way. As I said somewhere before, there are enough issues with the n4, they don't need to be made up.

I am not getting into that discussion again either... Lol

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

kevinjcw

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you call LG or Google you can send it in for repair. Not sure the cost but expect $100 +.

You have to call LG and they recite the warranty to you. AKA just letting you know that you're responsible for any damages other than manufactured defects.
They then give you a Return Auth. Number (RA) to place on the inside of and outside of the return packaging. You can use the RA# to track your device throughout the repair service process on the LG Wireless site (https://wws.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/track-repair). They stated that the repair service could take up to 5-7 business days from the time they receive your device.

You are responsible for:
Return Packaging
Shipping Costs (to LG Wireless Fort Worth, Texas)
*Finding some other phone to use while they TAKE FOREVER to fix your phone...

REPAIR PRICE: $140 (shipping not included).
I mailed it on Jan. 7th and it was returned to my home address on the Jan. 15th.
My Nexus 4 looked awesome again, but when I turned on the device it was a different story....
Explained here: [Q] Repair problems: strange Android version installed - Page 9 - xda-developers

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
i agree. i hate casing my phone but its necessary.

because of the scratching or is there something else i havent heard about?

I meant I don't know why google/lg thought it was a good idea to go there, as in a glass covered phone.

Especially after seeing the risks it introduces with the 4/4S.

Scratches on aluminum are not comparable to cracked or broken glass. Not even in the same realm.

I had an xperia ion and the thing was 80x more durable than any polycarbonate or glass phone, and the aluminum didn't have any issues with scratching.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

As for the phone sliding on an "almost level" surface, that's not hard to do, especially when it vibrates the phone can move. Secondly, if the glass isn't strong enough on the back when the phone does vibrate/rattle it can cause cracks in the class. If the glass isn't very strong temperature differences can also cause the glass to crack.

It would also be interesting to see how the phone is weighted, compared to an iPhone 4/4S, as that can affect how it falls when it does fall.

The iPhone, being a factorably smaller device, also is less likely to get spider webbed the way the Nexus 4 is due to how compact the glass is, comparatively speaking. It's like dropping a 4 3.5" vase and not having it crack, and then being surprised that a bigger 5" vase cracks on the same drop. The larger surface area does affect it's integrity, at similar thicknesses. And with the way the back glass is constructed, it was an accident waiting to happen, anyways.

Additionally, the fact that a lot of people have dropped and cracked their iPhones isn't a 1:1 comparison. There are an order of a magnitude more iPhone 4/4S devices than Nexus 4s out in the wild, so the percentages simply do not line up equivalently.

This phone requires a case. People have been saying this since before it was released. It will never change. It's probably the most fragile smart device produced, ever.

Apple went from Glass to Aluminum for a reason. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to go there, now...
The same people that criticized the iphone? Isn't that a bit of a massive generalization?