Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If handset and tablet vendors didn't believe that consumers and businesspeople are concerned about durability, Corning wouldn't have sold $1 billion worth of Gorilla Glass in 2012, and it wouldn't be on track to sell $1.37 billion worth this year.

Nobody said they aren't concerned. But even gorilla glass is not bullet proof. It is up to the consumers to take some responsibility and take some measures to protect their investment. No manufacturer is gonna guarantee a phone with a glass screen you can sit on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Nobody said they aren't concerned. But even gorilla glass is not bullet proof. It is up to the consumers to take some responsibility and take some measures to protect their investment. No manufacturer is gonna guarantee a phone with a glass screen you can sit on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My understanding of Gorilla glass is that it is designed to resist scratches due to the coating on the surface, not to reduce breakage.

Jagdish Prakash

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe no one has said how easy it is for this phone to crack. Shame on LG and Google to make a phone with a glass back. Samsung will never do this. Shame! Any fall from any height will break the glass. I am shocked!

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe no one has said how easy it is for this phone to crack. Shame on LG and Google to make a phone with a glass back. Samsung will never do this. Shame! Any fall from any height will break the glass. I am shocked!

After all the posts about the glass breaking when the phone is dropped, putting a case on the phone seems to be rather obvious in my opinion. I did that the day I got my phone, and don't anticipate the back breaking.

TheCIScommander

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine didn't fall. I took off the back to fix a creaking issue I had that was driving me up the wall. I was being really careful with it and I pushed the black soft touch plastic in to help fix it. Next thing I knew I heard a loud "pop" and my hand was covered in glass.

Ayni

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've also cracked my screen, or better said "it cracked itself", seriously! I took it out of my pocket and it was cracked, barely cracked by 2 hair lines. However, it was enough to make the screen unresponsive.. I just had this phone for four months. But I've dropped this phone like crazy.. really, I can't believe after reading these posts, how mine didn't break before.. it flew over my head few times while riding my skateboard (I had a Google bumper) and it never broke, ever. Until yesterday, without even dropping it!

I called Google and they sent me to LG, which told me to mail them my phone to check it out and let me know how much would the repair cost. How can't they give you this info? Being so common, they should at least have an approximated price, right? So here comes my question: Does anyone have gone the LG way? How much does they charge for fixing the screen? How long does it takes?

Oh, and I still love this phone and will buy the Nexus 5 when it comes out, even if it comes with the same "problem". Just getting a better case and being more careful should keep it safe.
Thank you.

Ayni

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.
A new screen from LG runs about $150.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I just spoke with them again and I'm going to mail my phone tomorrow morning, hoping for no more than a $150 repair price. They said the repair takes between 5-7 days. I'll update this.
They also said that I'm going to lose all my applications and their data, basically a factory reset.

How am I suppose to back up apps data, i.e game stats. If I can not use the phone at all?

Last edited:

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Finally got 4.3 last night, stuck it on charge overnight, when I took it off charge it immediately shut down. Restarted it and its been fine since............were only talking 3.5 hours though so will have to see if any more of these random shutdowns occur. Hopefully not!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

I just spoke with them again and I'm going to mail my phone tomorrow morning, hoping for no more than a $150 repair price. They said the repair takes between 5-7 days. I'll update this.
They also said that I'm going to lose all my applications and their data, basically a factory reset.

How am I suppose to back up apps data, i.e game stats. If I can not use the phone at all?

Odds are they'll just send you a new/refurb phone which is why your data won't follow.

And why aren't you regularly backing up your data, huh? :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Ayni

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Odds are they'll just send you a new/refurb phone which is why your data won't follow.

And why aren't you regularly backing up your data, huh? :)

A refurbished phone? So they always do that, or there's still a chance that I'll get my phone back with just the screen fixed?
My fault on the backup's, never thought I was going to be in a position like this. My last back must be from 2-3 months ago.

I mailed the phone this morning, with delivery scheduled for Monday. Counting shipping times and weekends, it seems like I won't have my phone until around 15 days from now..

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So I've been using my Nexus 4 for just about six months now and without a case since day one. Haven't dropped it once and no cracks on the front or back.

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've got two cracks on the back of my mobile, I think I got them a month or two after I got the device at the end of December. I just couldn't get used to how slippery the phone was, it's slipped off nearly every surface I've put it on.

meetjaggi

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I dropped my N4 while getting outta my car and the front glass shattered along with TouchWindow. Sent it to LG and they're charging me $150. Is this part available online for a cheaper price? Appreciate your help...I really really liked my N4 :(

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would remove my bumper and loved the feel of the phone without it, and hey the bumper doesn't give much protection?
an hour late I put my phone in the center of my pc desk, which is very polished, however perfectly flat, checked with spirit level afterwards.
Door rang, on my return phone had slipped off and landed 3 foot onto the foot of my chair, dented the bezel.
I have since put the bumper back on,
it may not offer much protection however it stops the phone walking off the edge of things to it's death!
I only had phone 2 months, I didn't get the one with nubs, they offered to exchange it but I couldn't be bothered.
I also have the rattle and crackles from the speaker, in many ways it feels like the cheap and nastiest phone I have ever owned, and I have had some really cheap phones!

Danny Lowe

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Why does everyone somehow drop their phone at least once? Do 99% of Android users have butterfingers?

Sorry to wake up an old post, but have you seen iPhone users' phones? Also, BTW I have dropped my nexus many times (A few on concrete), and I've had it since last May, but a cheap 99? bumper on amazon saved the day.