at&t APN settings for Nexus 4

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I'm currently trying out APN settings from xda for my Nexus 4 on at&t after noticing that my speeds were fairly poor with the default APN. XDA settings increased my speeds dramatically; I was getting around 3 to 4 Mbps down with default settings but now I'm getting 8 to 13 Mbps down. I'm fairly new to APN changes and settings but thought I'd post this in case some people are looking for settings with at&t.

APN settings: [APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 9/15) - xda-developers

EDIT: Let me know if anyone knows about better settings or anything else I need to know. :)

Last edited:

Nof603

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I'm also new to changing APN settings and had a general question for anyone here that can answer.. If I was to change these settings from the default "ATT WAP" APN that AT&T set up when I got the new SIM, would AT&T have any problems with this? I would love to get the faster data speeds, but don't want to cause any issues with AT&T. Thanks!

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I'm also new to changing APN settings and had a general question for anyone here that can answer.. If I was to change these settings from the default "ATT WAP" APN that AT&T set up when I got the new SIM, would AT&T have any problems with this? I would love to get the faster data speeds, but don't want to cause any issues with AT&T. Thanks!

I don't think they can tell if you change the APN or not. I've been using this for alittle bit and nothing has changed with my service, I just get faster data speeds.

Lazo7

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and waiting for my Nexus 4 to show up next week. Its my 2nd Android device after getting the Nexus 7 on black friday and really getting to love it. In regards to the APN settings i will followed the above settings. Im also going to be switching between the i5 and N4 every so often. Do i have to mess with Apn setting everytime i put the sim card in the devices? Also after setting the APN settings up for the N4 and when i switch back to the iphone 5 will my LTE work flawlessly?? Thanks for any response

harsubs

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I'm currently trying out APN settings from xda for my Nexus 4 on at&t after noticing that my speeds were fairly poor with the default APN. XDA settings increased my speeds dramatically; I was getting around 3 to 4 Mbps down with default settings but now I'm getting 8 to 13 Mbps down. I'm fairly new to APN changes and settings but thought I'd post this in case some people are looking for settings with at&t.

APN settings: [APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 9/15) - xda-developers

EDIT: Let me know if anyone knows about better settings or anything else I need to know. :)

This doesn't work for me. I walked into the AT&T store today and got the phone set up with a new sim. I am moving from a Captivate (3G). The data shows HSPA 10/15, but because the APN is wap.cingular, speedtest craps out. Moving to this APN cuts off my data connection completely. I just chatted with an ATT rep who told me they can't move me to a 4g plan because the billing system will not recognize my device as an "AT&T 4G device". Basically she told me I'm SOL.

Forgot to add - I did pick a TMO sim as well to test it out and the speeds are outstanding. Seems to be a no-brainer for me -> I'm going to have to move to TMO.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't work for me. I walked into the AT&T store today and got the phone set up with a new sim. I am moving from a Captivate (3G). The data shows HSPA 10/15, but because the APN is wap.cingular, speedtest craps out. Moving to this APN cuts off my data connection completely. I just chatted with an ATT rep who told me they can't move me to a 4g plan because the billing system will not recognize my device as an "AT&T 4G device". Basically she told me I'm SOL.

Check out this thread;
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226814-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att.html

It explains that you need to get them to put you on a 4G HSPA+ plan, and how to do it. (I had then assign me an Inspire 4G phone).

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
At&t also told me I'm Sol but am using this APN and getting hspa 10 and hspa+15. I've talked to at&t a lot about this and its the same every time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

If you can't get them to put you on a 4G data plan post on their Facebook wall, the reps on there are way more helpful

jordanmc109

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Running into some problems. I am coming from a AT&T GS3 so I have a LTE plan. I am still getting crappy speeds on the "phone" APN outside, with full bars, with "About Phone" showing HSPA+:15 and "Phone info" showing HSPAP, in an area that AT&T's coverage viewer says had "4G". Screenshots below. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

1zxv1hy.png
nd3401.png
2rpekxt.png
34igyew.png

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Running into some problems. I am coming from a AT&T GS3 so I have a LTE plan. I am still getting crappy speeds on the "phone" APN outside, with full bars, with "About Phone" showing HSPA+:15 and "Phone info" showing HSPAP, in an area that AT&T's coverage viewer says had "4G". Screenshots below. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zxv1hy.png http://i50.tinypic.com/nd3401.png http://i49.tinypic.com/2rpekxt.png http://i50.tinypic.com/2h3n5ab.png[/IMG}[url]http://i50.tinypic.com/34igyew.png

Change APN to pta and turn on data roaming. I'm getting decent speeds on an LTE plan ranging from 6 Mbps to 10 Mbps with AT&T.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I didn't need to put it Pta when I was still on my lte plan... have you tried using s diff server ? Were yo getting better hspa speeds wit another device

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

DMC55

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. I called customer service and they claim to have put me on 4G Smartphone Data Plan. The APN settings shown do not work at all for me, all data cut off. I went to the AT&T store today and basically got blown off saying they already have you on 4G Data plan. I really don't want to move to T-Mobile after 15 years of being an AT&T customer and also since I do a lot of international travel, the phone needs to work when I get to where I'm going. Very discouraged. :(

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was having poor data speeds too, maybe 1mbps.

Now I'm much better off. These results are after following these instructions. Thanks!

- I did have to call, and ensure I was on the correct plan.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360331620117.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360331620117.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 58

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what's to expected with h+ but anything over 6 mb should be good its not lte but it will do for me on att sure bit as fast as my iPhone 5 with lte but we knew that right.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360384846552.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360384846552.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 47

Marco Mendoza

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
This is my speed with my nexus 4. I have the 3gb lte plan. I'm using an imei from an lg nitro HD

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-10-08-22-14.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-10-08-22-14.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 42

poojaguptagupta

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the smartphone 4g plan and I get around 1.5mbps with all the suggested settings. Would there be a difference in switching to an LTE plan and putting an LTE capable phone's IMEI in AT&T system?

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante