How do I disable the unsafe volume warning?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
UK is not Eurozone considering you mean countries that use Euro, which UK isn't :p But yes, European Union (which is something diffrent and UK belong to) have regulation to limit headphone device volume to safe levels (which are not bad to your ear)... but by limit i mean without any warning, simply block it :> so i don't this is why there warning... or else i missed something and crossing limit is allowded just with warning

Perhaps an upper ("hard") limit with a warning that kicks in as you approach the limit?

Try hard as I might, I cannot make that warning message appear on my N4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-29-08-30-45.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-29-08-30-45.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,660

Crow1336

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't know you had already tried to override in your initial round of tests. I'm at a loss.

This was supposed to be a reply to N4Newbie's post earlier.

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This happens on both my Nexus 4 and 7. Only noticed after the 4.2 update.

Oh yeah, don't think I mentioned that this only started on my N7 after the 4.2 update (and I never used the N4 without 4.2 so its always happened on there).

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, don't think I mentioned that this only started on my N7 after the 4.2 update (and I never used the N4 without 4.2 so its always happened on there).

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I installed the 4.2 update almost immediately after charging and powering on my phone for the first time last Tuesday evening an hour after UPS delivered it. As you can see from the screenshot I posted earlier, I was running 4.2 when I tested and did not get the warning message.

Late yesterday afternoon, I received the OTA update to 4.2.1 and tried running the tests again after installing it. Still the same; no warning message concerning unsafe volume levels.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you need to set the master volume for music higher?

From the manual:
To change other sounds and vibrations, go to Settings > Device > Sound and touch the one you want:
?Volumes sets the master volume separately for music, ringtones & notifications, and alarms. You can still use the physical volume control on the phone to raise or lower volume of whatever sound is currently playing.

Do you realize u move our volume rocker and what u set it there moves right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354278490129.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354278490129.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354278503096.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354278503096.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 64

gtp20

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
No solution for this?

I get the warning constantly on my Galaxy Nexus (takju) no matter which music player I'm using and I'm in Canada, so I don't believe geography has anything to do with it.. I've seen this warning several times in the past with this phone and the other Android devices I've had, but I'm pretty sure there was a check box not to show the warning again. Ever since the update to 4.2.1 I'm stuck with this constant warning.

I guess whom ever tested 4.2.1 before its release did not listen to music on their phones

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I just don't get it.

We are, after all, all using the same Nexus 4 hardware. When mine came out of the box and made its first data connection, it immediately offered up an OTA update (to v4.2, I believe) and if memory serves correctly a few days later came 4.2.1. That is what I am running now. I have NEVER seen this warning, even after extensive testing with Google Play Music, PowerAmp, Audible, and TuneIn Radio.

Also, quite curiously, a Google search for "raise volume above safe level" (with the quotes) returns remarkably few hits with this thread at the top of the results. How is it possible that such an annoying thing isn't annoying lots more people? I just can't help but feel that you guys have something else loaded on your N4's which is involved in this, somehow, someway...

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I just don't get it.

We are, after all, all using the same Nexus 4 hardware. When mine came out of the box and made its first data connection, it immediately offered up an OTA update (to v4.2, I believe) and if memory serves correctly a few days later came 4.2.1. That is what I am running now. I have NEVER seen this warning, even after extensive testing with Google Play Music, PowerAmp, Audible, and TuneIn Radio.

Also, quite curiously, a Google search for "raise volume above safe level" (with the quotes) returns remarkably few hits with this thread at the top of the results. How is it possible that such an annoying thing isn't annoying lots more people? I just can't help but feel that you guys have something else loaded on your N4's which is involved in this, somehow, someway...

I came here because I am seeing the same thing on my N7. It started after the first JB update. The best that I can tell is you are only prompted with the message once, while your media apps are still in memory. So if you were to perform a restart, you would likely be prompted again. I just tested it here. I received the error message after plugging in headphones, to listen to a youtube video. I was immediately prompted once I touched the physical volume rocker. After I acknowledged the error, I could not duplicate it again, until I rebooted.

Screenshot_2012-12-21-09-23-40.png

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I reboot often - a couple of times a week for one reason or another. Still never see that message.

You have to have something plugged into the headphone jack. Also, it only works in media players. Hulu, Play Music, etc. System volume doesn't have the same effect as far as I can tell.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You have to have something plugged into the headphone jack. Also, it only works in media players. Hulu, Play Music, etc. System volume doesn't have the same effect as far as I can tell.

I just plugged in a wired headset and tried both PowerAmp and PlayMusic. Ran the volume all the way down, all the way up, no warning message.

Powered the phone off (with the headset still plugged int), powered it back up and repeated the test. Still no warning message, no matter how much I fiddle with volume controls.

Are you running OS 4.2.1?

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just plugged in a wired headset and tried both PowerAmp and PlayMusic. Ran the volume all the way down, all the way up, no warning message.

Powered the phone off (with the headset still plugged int), powered it back up and repeated the test. Still no warning message, no matter how much I fiddle with volume controls.

Are you running OS 4.2.1?
Screenshot_2012-12-21-10-02-11.png

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
N4NEWBIE... wanna trade phones?

Too funny!

Tell me exactly what you are doing when you get this warning and I will be happy to try and duplicate it. If I cannot (as has been the case thus far), then maybe we can start to try to determine what makes your phone's response different from mine.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This whole thread has to be something related to phones outside the US. If you've got the message, call Google Customer service and ask them about it. Possible it's carrier driven.

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
This whole thread has to be something related to phones outside the US. If you've got the message, call Google Customer service and ask them about it. Possible it's carrier driven.

This is simply not true. I am running am N7, is not carrier dependent and in the US and I get the message.

AndroidN7User

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just to join the few, I too have seen this annoying message. A couple times on the plane and now just putting my headphones in to listen to music at 30% volume. Running 4.2.1 and I was really hoping to find a way to turn it off, but couldn't find anything either. Good luck out there.