Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching between T Mobile and AT&T.

I want to try both T Mobile (direct Prepaid) and AT&T (through Straight Talk) to see which gets a better signal in my area. I assume you get a new phone number for each carrier activation. If you start out with TMo and then after 30 days, you DON'T renew, and activate ST AT&T, would you have to get a new phone number (again) if you decided to go back to TMo, or do they hold your number for a certain time even if you let your prepaid account lapse?

Default Re: Switching between T Mobile and AT&T.

I can't speak for ST, but T-Mobile used to give 90 days before your number expires; I can't find anything to say that's changed. SIMs are currently 99c online, tho, so just order 2 or 3 if losing the number isn't a big problem.

You *could* start with T-Mobile, port to ST after a month and (if necessary) port back to T-Mobile after the second month. Just get a second T-Mobile SIM; then you activate a new account as if you never had the first and port the number in from ST.

edited to fix SIM price... guess they were only free yesterday.
    greydarrah likes this.

1,310 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,455 Global Posts

Default Re: Switching between T Mobile and AT&T.

If you have a Google Voice #, why not just set it up to forward to whichever phone # your SIM at that time is coded for? After you decide which one is better, then you can port it to that carrier. While I test out my Nexus 4, I'm going to do this until I'm satisfied with the phone and/or service and then pay the $40 to port my Trudge number to GV and keep my existing GV number.
    greydarrah likes this.