Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?

I would love this new Nexus 4, but I don't want to wait 2-3 weeks. I found a few locals on CL who have a sealed Nexus 4. How would the warranty wok without a receipt? Is it safer to buy on ebay? How do I know I'm getting a true unlocked Nexus 4.

Default Re: Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?

What else besides a true n4 would u be getting? they are all the same. I hesitate with CL. Even eBay with its nonsense inflated prices. Wish u luck!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Same way you deal with anything you buy on Craigslist - examine it closely, test it as much as possible, don't hand over money until you're sure of what you're getting, get more than just the email address of the person selling it, etc etc.

If you're going to pay $500+; might as well get it from T-MOBILE.
    I seen a few local ads. Some people were asking way too much! Seriously, bro, call your local TMOBILE store, and ask first before you wanna buy off CL/EBAY. Some of these phucking people are ridiculous. One guy wanted my iPhone 5 + $150 on top of that. I was so closed to say yes... just to meet him in person and punch him in the face. Thank god I was able to maintain. Can't stand these greedy bastards. They ruin it for us who really want one. I was able to order a N4 a couple of hrs ago. It was a long two weeks, but it was worth it... now, I gotta wait another 1-2 weeks. Ha, it's o.k. I'll try to enjoy the iP5 for now
    Good luck
    Thanked by 2:
    bobjohnson201 and MERCDROID like this.

Everytime I would buy a phone off CL, i would get the person's license plate(s). If something was/went wrong, I'd ask for my $ back, if not, I would threaten them. It always worked
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr SandMan View Post
    If you're going to pay $500+; might as well get it from T-MOBILE.
    I seen a few local ads. Some people were asking way too much! Seriously, bro, call your local TMOBILE store, and ask first before you wanna buy off CL/EBAY. Some of these phucking people are ridiculous. One guy wanted my iPhone 5 + $150 on top of that. I was so closed to say yes... just to meet him in person and punch him in the face. Thank god I was able to maintain. Can't stand these greedy bastards. They ruin it for us who really want one. I was able to order a N4 a couple of hrs ago. It was a long two weeks, but it was worth it... now, I gotta wait another 1-2 weeks. Ha, it's o.k. I'll try to enjoy the iP5 for now
    Good luck
    I called t mobile here in Milwaukee. They do not sell the $499 unlocked version anywhere around here. I want to buy through them, but how? I also have to return my iPhone 5 before 14 days which is next week and can't be without a phone.

Only if it's in its original sealed packaging. Does the Nexus 4 even come in a sealed packaging? Not the clear wrap, but like a sticker (how Galaxy tablet boxes are packaged).
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

How do I find out what t mobile locations have them for $499?

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    How do I find out what t mobile locations have them for $499?
    Call and ask. If they don't have it ask if they know which local stores do. You'll track one down, it just might take several calls. I agree, if you're going to spend $500 might as well go through a legitimate retailer.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    Call and ask. If they don't have it ask if they know which local stores do. You'll track one down, it just might take several calls. I agree, if you're going to spend $500 might as well go through a legitimate retailer.
    Today 1 store told me that no local store will have them in the entire metro Milwaukee area.
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Quote Originally Posted by pespule View Post
    Only if it's in its original sealed packaging. Does the Nexus 4 even come in a sealed packaging? Not the clear wrap, but like a sticker (how Galaxy tablet boxes are packaged).
    Yes, there is black tape at the bottom. However, it does not say VOIDVOIDVOIDVOID when you peel it off like the Nexus 7's tape does.

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here

Yeah, so if the genuine tape is still on the packaging and wasn't tampered with, I wouldn't have a problem with buying on Craigslist. Although I would open it up in front of the seller. Who knows if they threw it against the wall or ground before putting it up for sale.

Bought my nexus 4 through craigslist, guy was real nice , I inspected the box, phone etc . just be sure to double check everything .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I've wondered...

Person A buys Nexus 4 from Google and decides to sell it for profit on ebay/Craigslist.
    Person B offers to buy the phone from Person A and does so via ebay or CL.
    Person A gets paid, he's happy. Person B gets the phone, he's happy. And both go on their merry way

Person A feels bored and just loves to trololololololol and calls Google saying "My phone was lost/stolen. Remotely disable it!!"
    Person A laughs. Person B then cries.

Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Phrozen View Post
    I've wondered...

Person A buys Nexus 4 from Google and decides to sell it for profit on ebay/Craigslist.
    Person B offers to buy the phone from Person A and does so via ebay or CL.
    Person A gets paid, he's happy. Person B gets the phone, he's happy. And both go on their merry way

Person A feels bored and just loves to trololololololol and calls Google saying "My phone was lost/stolen. Remotely disable it!!"
    Person A laughs. Person B then cries.

Now what?
    You would have your emails/texts with the original owner that you could always show Google, law enforcement, etc. You can't prove that you gave them $500 cash after-the-fact, but if you're really paranoid, you could have use an audio recorder on your phone or whatever during the in-person exchange. If you can't hear the person crying out in pain as you're beating the living daylights out of them, or you threatening them with the gun in your pocket, chances are the transaction went smoothly and you did not steal the phone. :-)
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I called t mobile here in Milwaukee. They do not sell the $499 unlocked version anywhere around here. I want to buy through them, but how? I also have to return my iPhone 5 before 14 days which is next week and can't be without a phone.
    they have it on their website but its on contract... maybe you can somehow pay full price?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    they have it on their website but its on contract... maybe you can somehow pay full price?
    I asked online and called T Mobile. They both said no.

I'm sorry to hear that, bro. Maintain tho... MAINTAIN! DO NOT FALL FOR THESE PHUCKING CROOKS. But, if you do decide to buy one... do not pay over $500, and make sure you open the box and make sure the device is in there, turn it on and test it out before you hand over the cash. You just never know these days.
    I just received my iP5 today and tbh, it's not that bad. I'm starting to like it. If I get my NEXUS within a week and I decide to keep my iP5. I'll just sell it to you for the same price + shipping.
    But, if you need a phone right now... make calls around your area. Don't give up. Good luck

Do you have a family member or friend who has TMOBILE? Have them call and order it for you. That's B.S. I walked in to a TMOBILE store and started yapping with some employees. We were talking about the Nexus 4. I told them that i was with AT&T and if they were willing to sell me one unlocked... they said YES! So, I was gonna get one this Friday, but thank god I was able to order one today. Hopefully I get it soon... before my 14 day trial, But, like i stated... im starting to like this iP5. Battery life is amazing! Received it at 9am (fully charged), now its 8:50 pm and I still have 50%. This is with heavy usage!
    Thanked by:
    zrxoa1 
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr SandMan View Post
    Do you have a family member or friend who has TMOBILE? Have them call and order it for you. That's B.S. I walked in to a TMOBILE store and started yapping with some employees. We were talking about the Nexus 4. I told them that i was with AT&T and if they were willing to sell me one unlocked... they said YES! So, I was gonna get one this Friday, but thank god I was able to order one today. Hopefully I get it soon... before my 14 day trial, But, like i stated... im starting to like this iP5. Battery life is amazing! Received it at 9am (fully charged), now its 8:50 pm and I still have 50%. This is with heavy usage!
    Not here in Milwaukee. T Mobile employee told me nobody around the city has em.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Not to mention that most of the sellers on CL are just arrogant.

I texted one who was selling an 8GB for $400 saying price was negotiable and he or she reamed me when I offered less. Around that same time the ad disappeared so guess either I wasn't the only one low balling him or someone wanted the phone bad enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Default Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?

Today 1 store told me that no local store will have them in the entire metro Milwaukee area.
    Well that sucks. You will have to go outside your metro area or try T Mo online. Either way. It is not worth the risk buying from some guy on CL.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I agree with the others that said to try T-Mobile first. If you can't find it in a T-Mobile store, try their website.

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can. (Be sure to call the telephone number to make sure they pick up and it's them.)

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS, like a busy Starbucks or McDonald's. Bring a friend if you can.

Also, try to meet inside a Police Station. This way you are sure to not get mugged or scammed. Of course, let the officer at the front desk know you're meeting a seller off Craigslist, for your safety. They won't mind. Just stay out of the way.

Yes, the inner box comes with dark gray security tape. There's an outer sleeve that you pull off to reveal the inner gray box.

Here are photos of my own box and accessories:

Outer sleeve:
    Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?-uploadfromtaptalk1354077487527.jpg

Inner gray box with security tape on both sides (see arrows):
    Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?-uploadfromtaptalk1354077555456.jpg
    You should also view some unboxing videos on YouTube to know exactly what to expect from the packaging. If anything is off, DO NOT BUY!

If the security take is broken, inspect the phone with a fine tooth comb. Turn it on, play with it. Pop your Sim card in it and make a call. Any seller that's not a scam artist won't mind a quick call to test if the phone is working.

Make sure all the accessories come in the box: USB cord, charging brick, Sim tray ejection pin (see arrow) and Quick Start Guide/Warranty.
    Safe to buy Nexus 4 from Craigslist?-uploadfromtaptalk1354078305430.jpg
    Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours, when you've paid for it, for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

If not, ask for the original receipt so that you have proof of purchase because your going to have to deal directly with LG for any warranty and they require proof of purchase since Google will not honor the warranty because you are not the original purchaser.

If the security tape is intact still open the box and inspect everything carefully as I started above. Do it in the presence of the seller so if something is broken or missing they witnessed it and you can get your money back or if it's a brick painted black or a box of rocks you have the scammer right there in front of you and can get your money back or call the cops.

Be smart. Be safe. And if something seems off, GET OUT & DO NOT BUY!

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Last edited by KitN; 11-27-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    I agree with the others that said to try T-Mobile first. If you can't find it in a T-Mobile store, try their website.

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can.

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS. Bring a friend if you can.

Also, try to meet inside a Police Station. This way you are sure to not get mugged or scammed. Of course, let the officer at the front desk know you're meeting a seller off Craigslist, for your safety. They won't mind. Just stay out of the way.

Yes, the inner box comes with dark gray security tape. There's an outer sleeve that you pull off to reveal the inner gray box.

Outer sleeve:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354077487527.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	48574

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354077555456.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	48575
    You should also view some unboxing videos on YouTube to know exactly what to expect from the packaging. If anything is off, DO NOT BUY!

If the security take is broken, inspect the phone with a fine tooth comb. Turn it on, play with it. Pop your Sim card in it and make a call. Any seller that's not a scam artist won't mind a quick call to test if the phone is working.

Make sure all the accessories come in the box: USB cord, charging brick, Sim tray ejection pin (see arrow) and Quick Start Guide/Warranty.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354078305430.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	48576
    Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

If not, ask for the original receipt so that you have proof of purchase because your going to have to deal directly with LG for any warranty and they require proof of purchase since Google will not honor the warranty because you are not the original purchaser.

If the security tape is intact still open the box and inspect everything carefully as I started above. Do it in the presence of the seller so if something is broken or missing they witnessed it and you can get your money back or if it's a brick painted black or a box of rocks you have the scammer right there in front of you and can get your money back or call the cops.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    I called T mobile and looked online. There's no mention of the $499 Nexus 4. I don't get it.....they will only sell me a contracted 2 year Plan.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post

As for Craigslist, exercise extreme caution. Get the person's name, telephone number, email address and license plate of you can.

Meet in a very well lit, busy place OF YOUR CHOOSING, during DAYLIGHT HOURS. Bring a friend if you can.

Outer sleeve:

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354077487527.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	48574

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354077555456.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	48575

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354078305430.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	48576
    Ask the seller before even meeting if they can switch the email address registered to the device to yours for warranty purposes or ask that they call up Google in your presence to have it switched on the spot when you buy. If not, ask for their full name so that you can call up and try to have it switched.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    CL sellers don't want you to open the box if they don't know your going to buy though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast