Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Default -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    You have not done enough research to see benchmarks of the iPhone five getting 8-9 hours of screen time. Here are the results from Anandtech's test. These are the images from their web browsing battery life tests on LTE. and wifi

And here is the direct link to the article where the screen shots came from

Sent from my iPhone 7

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    You have not done enough research to see benchmarks of the iPhone five getting 8-9 hours of screen time. Here are the results from Anandtech's test. These are the images from their web browsing battery life tests on LTE. and wifi

And here is the direct link to the article where the screen shots came from

Sent from my iPhone 7
    I have an employee with a iphone 5 and the battery is pretty reasonable according to him. He came from the HTC Facinate and said it was way better. But this thread isn't about and iphone 5 let's stay on topic.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Not to add any offtopic discussion to this thread, but I believe that the iPhone's "usage" monitor shows any and all activity, including background sync, not just screen on time.

With that said, it still wins the real-world tests, but not by a landslide margin compared to the One X. One also wonders what brightness levels they used on all the phones during the test.

As for my personal use case, I keep my devices at 100% at all times, so those are the only numbers I care about, and as long as the N4 I have waiting in limbo gets better battery life @ 100% than my GSM GNex (about 2.5-3hrs over a 12hr day), I'll be happy as a clam.

Any N4 users out there keep their phones at a high brightness level and can report on real world usage results?

After 3 battery cycles I am getting 4 hours and 15 minutes of screen on time on my nexus 4. It's not setup with a carrier yet so all my usage has been on wifi. That's an improvement though from when I first got it, charged it to 100% and drained it to 0. The first time it only got 3 hours and 30 minutes. Hopefully it keeps improving with a few more cycles.

ROM
    CM 9.1

Default Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    Yeah? I hear that's awful
    That's exactly what I was thinking, I remember when I used to have the
    severinj and MangoPowah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking, I remember when I used to have the
    John-Smith and MangoPowah like this.

Yesterday I sent a text on my phone battery was 43% 5 minutes later I pulled it out and it was at 3% no location no NFC no nothing but data and cell service all apps were off nothing was set to sync or update, is there any rational cause for this?
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by nexus4backordrsuckz View Post
    Yesterday I sent a text on my phone battery was 43% 5 minutes later I pulled it out and it was at 3% no location no NFC no nothing but data and cell service all apps were off nothing was set to sync or update, is there any rational cause for this?
    Maybe a faulty battery.

Android Evangelist

that is without a doubt a faulty battery

I realized that my battery drains even if the phone is off! And its temperature remains as hot as when it's on. Just when the baterry is empty the phone starts to cold. So it might be a short circuit or something related to the hardware. I'll call the Google guys to see what I can do...
    Thanked by:

Look earlier in this thread. Just because you have crazy battery drain does not equal a faulty battery. I would say the most common cause is an errant app or system process that is wakelocking the phone or pulling down crazy data.

The first step is downloading a utility like GSam battery monitor before you call it a faulty battery. Many people might return the phones, get a new one and have better battery life only because it was a fresh install of Android without the issue they were having before.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by darthus View Post
    Look earlier in this thread. Just because you have crazy battery drain does not equal a faulty battery. I would say the most common cause is an errant app or system process that is wakelocking the phone or pulling down crazy data.

The first step is downloading a utility like GSam battery monitor before you call it a faulty battery. Many people might return the phones, get a new one and have better battery life only because it was a fresh install of Android without the issue they were having before.
    He said he dropped 40% in 5 minutes. No app is going to drain it that fast.

Android Evangelist

That's gotta be a bad battery!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Currently waiting for my nexus 4, but on my one x curtently, I did the following and it helped the battery life greatly.
    Turned off location setting
    The device constantly trying to locate you drains the battery
    No bt, or WiFi
    The weather apps on android devices while convenient is a major drag on battery life, so I turned that off too.
    With this done, I've had my device sometimes go for 22hrs with moderate usage, but more typically I get anywhere from 12-16hrs ( fluctuates).
    Oh, my auto-sync is on and brightness of device is left on auto.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

i had to send my 1st nexus back because it shipped with a scratch. what i found in the 2 weeks that i had it was that the battery life was mediocre, at best. in a typical day, i would get 10hrs of battery with light to moderate use. i tried all the tricks except rooting and flashing a new kernel, because honestly, i don't think i should have to do that with a battery this large to get very good battery life.

my warranty model came this weekend and i decided to test (non-scientifically) how well the battery did if i ignored the initial system update prompt, unlike my first go 'round. i received it friday, around 7pm, and it was fully charged out of the box. i put a skinomi on it and let it dry over night. i began to use it over the course of the weekend, lightly on saturday and more heavily on sunday.

i would consider what resulted phenomenal battery life. here's the thing, with my first nexus 4, it would lose 15-18% battery life over night. with the warranty nexus 4, it only lost 4 percent over an 8 hour period while i was asleep.

for those who have yet to receive their nexus 4, i would seriously consider avoiding updating the software just to see how your battery life is. for my part, i'm incredibly disappointed that google shipped software that devastates the battery this badly. i'm hoping they come out with a fix it, mostly because i'm tired of the "system update available" notification and because battery seems to be the major gripe of many users. if someone has similar results, i would love to hear them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-45.png   -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------screenshot_2012-12-09-19-36-39.png  
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by GuyverV View Post
    i had to send my 1st nexus back because it shipped with a scratch. what i found in the 2 weeks that i had it was that the battery life was mediocre, at best. in a typical day, i would get 10hrs of battery with light to moderate use. i tried all the tricks except rooting and flashing a new kernel, because honestly, i don't think i should have to do that with a battery this large to get very good battery life.

my warranty model came this weekend and i decided to test (non-scientifically) how well the battery did if i ignored the initial system update prompt, unlike my first go 'round. i received it friday, around 7pm, and it was fully charged out of the box. i put a skinomi on it and let it dry over night. i began to use it over the course of the weekend, lightly on saturday and more heavily on sunday.

i would consider what resulted phenomenal battery life. here's the thing, with my first nexus 4, it would lose 15-18% battery life over night. with the warranty nexus 4, it only lost 4 percent over an 8 hour period while i was asleep.

for those who have yet to receive their nexus 4, i would seriously consider avoiding updating the software just to see how your battery life is. for my part, i'm incredibly disappointed that google shipped software that devastates the battery this badly. i'm hoping they come out with a fix it, mostly because i'm tired of the "system update available" notification and because battery seems to be the major gripe of many users. if someone has similar results, i would love to hear them
    This is great feedback. Thanks.

Android Evangelist

I was seeing 12-17% drain per hour with zero usage and screen off, even after multiple factory resets with nothing but stock apps. I returned it as a defect and my replacement Nexus 4 is behaving much better (~6% to 8% per hour under normal usage with all my apps back on). Not as good as my Galaxy Nexus' battery life, but far better than what I was seeing with my first Nexus 4 which was obviously a defect.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clove#AC View Post
    I was seeing 12-17% drain per hour with zero usage and screen off, even after multiple factory resets with nothing but stock apps. I returned it as a defect and my replacement Nexus 4 is behaving much better (~6% to 8% per hour under normal usage with all my apps back on). Not as good as my Galaxy Nexus' battery life, but far better than what I was seeing with my first Nexus 4 which was obviously a defect.
    did you update out of the box? i'm curious if this is a software issue or not

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Read his post. He did the update and had issues then got a new phone and didn't and is having better luck.

This is the second person saying that by down grading to the last version is much better.

Android Evangelist

I ran the update immediately with both my first Nexus 4 and the replacement. I regretted not testing before & after on the replacement phone first but too late for that.

So, in summary, I saw a drastic difference in battery performance in two different units in a completely factory-fresh 4.2.1 state which can only indicate a hardware issue with my first unit.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Sorry I miss read your post. Lol. :banghead:

Android Evangelist

I cannot figure this out battery life is all over the place I am getting anywhere from 6 to 18 hours a day with the same amount of screen time with the same settings. I checked gsam and i am getting over 1400 wake locks everyday. I left it on overnight the other day in airplane mode and checked 2437 wake locks...

I'm convinced I have a bad battery because this is absolutely terrible. I've already done a factory reset too.

80% after 15 minutes screen time? Seriously? My one x would be like at 96% after 15 minutes screen time with the exact same usage.

This thing gets very hot too. Even the screen gets hot to the point it hurts.

Here is my battery life. It is still not hooked up to a carrier, and the reason for the big dropoff is because I was trying to drain the battery.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)--------uploadfromtaptalk1355179940265.jpg  
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast