-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
After failing to secure a Nexus 4 after Google's horrific first launch, I decided to just go to T-Mobile and renew my contract and upgrade to the LG Nexus 4. Wow. The phone is amazing. Blazing fast and a great design. Only problem is...the battery life. I won't say it's the worst battery life I've ever had but being that it's the Nexus 4 (Google's flagship Android device) this thing's battery sucks! I've seen reviewers online showing snapshots of their Nexus getting 14 hours+ with like 3 hour screen time and I have no idea how they do it. I'm not a tech expert and certainly not an Android expert but I know my way and I know the basics and I've tried adjusting settings, removing apps, factory reset, etc. but to no avail.

Some background info:
-Before the Nexus 4 I owned a Samsung Galaxy S3 (literally 3 weeks before) on Sprint but I returned it and cancelled my contract for this very same reason.
-The phone is new, purchased 3 days after the initial release (T-Mobile).
-I reside in Queens, NY. Service is excellent, around 95% of the time on 4G, full bars.
-Apps that I installed the first day I got the phone: Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Handcent, Handcent Emoji Plugin, ESPN, Bank of America, Google Drive, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja. I installed Apex home-launcher.
-After the first 3 days or so the battery life was so horrible that I decided to factory reset the phone to try and see if that would fix the problem but that was a fail.
-After resetting it I did not install any 3rd party apps and tested the phone for a day to see if that would help but same result.

Steps I've taken in order to try and get the amazing battery life that this device is supposed to offer: (After the factory reset)

• Only 3rd party apps installed Twicca, Tumblr, Instagram, Handcent, and Bank of America. Stock Android keyboard.
  • Vibrate on key press is disabled.
  • Pop-up is disabled on Handcent, notification LED light is solid.
  • Disabled Location Services: Google Now is disabled, GPS, etc.
  • Disabled the Google Now hotword detection so it doesn't activate when I say "Google"
  • NFC is disabled
  • Autosync is disabled for all 3rd party apps.
  • Auto brightness is enabled

The screen shots below are from today (11/27/12). Instagram, Twicca, Tumblr, e-mail, texting, web browsing here and there, that's it. I unplugged the phone at 10:30 am (Fully charged overnight) and by 7 pm it was at 6%! You can argue that the 3 and a half hour screen time might have had something to do with it but the above list should do more than compensate for it! Besides, the Nexus 4 should be able to handle this screen time and still present way more longevity. And my battery doesn't just die fast, it DRAINS. All apps are closed and I can be using just Handcent and from sending and receiving a couple texts my phone would go from 99% to 95 in literally like 2 minutes! I know that's not normal. I know it can't be the network affecting it because I had the S3 (and on a different carrier) as stated before and it would do the same thing. I doubt I could be so unlucky that this drainage problem would happen two times in a row with two different phones on two different carriers. I'm starting to believe it's just Android and I'm considering getting the iPhone 5 because I've become so frustrated with this problem. I don't want to but I can't afford being stuck with a phone that is supposed to be superb in battery life but fails drastically. So can anyone help me identify the problem and tell me what I can do to try and fix it? And is anyone else having this same issue with the battery drainage or is it just me?

Attachments

• OverallBattery.png
    OverallBattery.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 482
  • Screenshot_2012-11-27-19-10-48.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-27-19-10-48.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 480
  • ScreenTime.png
    ScreenTime.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 471

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)

Is your signal always that low? That could be a huge cause for your battery loss. The lower the signal the more power the phone uses to try to get a stronger signal.

Just a thought.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

No, that was just an unlucky coincidence at the time of the screen shot. Around 95% of the time I have 4G with full bars.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No, that was just an unlucky coincidence at the time of the screen shot. Around 95% of the time I have 4G with full bars.

Seems perfectly normal. U got 3.5 hrs of screen on time where do u see a problem? I've had over 10 android devices and almost every phone has been between 2.5-3.5hrs of screen on time no matter the manufacturer. Unless u get a phone with extended battery I wouldn't expect much more than 3 hours of screen on time if u are on 3g for that period of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Seems perfectly normal. U got 3.5 hrs of screen on time where do u see a problem? I've had over 10 android devices and almost every phone has been between 2.5-3.5hrs of screen on time no matter the manufacturer. Unless u get a phone with extended battery I wouldn't expect much more than 3 hours of screen on time if u are on 3g for that period of time.

I disabled so many features, basically dumbing down my device, and 8 hours is all I can get? NO WAY. Even with the 3.5 screen time that's not normal. Chris Chavez reviewed the Nexus 4 on Phandroid and he got 14 hours on the same screen time as mine. And if that was normal, what about my second point, what about the drainage? 5% in less than two minutes from PURE TEXTING? Idk. Nexus 4 and Android overall would be a huge disappointment if this was considered normal.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Is your signal always that low? That could be a huge cause for your battery loss. The lower the signal the more power the phone uses to try to get a stronger signal.

Just a thought.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I disabled so many features, basically dumbing down my device, and 8 hours is all I can get? NO WAY. Even with the 3.5 screen time that's not normal. Chris Chavez reviewed the Nexus 4 on Phandroid and he got 14 hours on the same screen time as mine. And if that was normal, what about my second point, what about the drainage? 5% in less than two minutes from PURE TEXTING? Idk. Nexus 4 and Android overall would be a huge disappointment if this was considered normal.

I could make my phone look like it gets amazing battery life to. Go to sleep lose what maybe 10% over 8-10 hours then use it another 10 hours when I get up get 3 hours of screen on time and bam looks like I got 20 hours with 3 hours screen on time. Personally I've noticed disabling things other than GPS has very small effects on battery. I used to keep auto sync off no Facebook or email syncing no GPS wifi BT and screen on lowest brightness setting and would get maybe another 30 minutes screen on time. U really won't get much better than 3.5 hours screen on time while on 3g with any phone unless u get extended battery or a razr maxx.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I could make my phone look like it gets amazing battery life to. Go to sleep lose what maybe 10% over 8-10 hours then use it another 10 hours when I get up get 3 hours of screen on time and bam looks like I got 20 hours with 3 hours screen on time. Personally I've noticed disabling things other than GPS has very small effects on battery. I used to keep auto sync off no Facebook or email syncing no GPS wifi BT and screen on lowest brightness setting and would get maybe another 30 minutes screen on time. U really won't get much better than 3.5 hours screen on time while on 3g with any phone unless u get extended battery or a razr maxx.

Yeah that makes sense. I understand how that's true. But again, what about the drainage? why do I lose 3-5% in less than 5 min when all I'm doing is texting?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
you know it takes a good 2 weeks for you batt life to get better, make sure your conditioning the battery right... you havent had it that long and your probably still using it more than you normally would

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense. I understand how that's true. But again, what about the drainage? why do I lose 3-5% in less than 5 min when all I'm doing is texting?

I lost 3% just typing out that message on my phone. Just wait a week or 2 for ur battery to get conditioned and I wouldn't worry about losing that battery percentage if u are still getting 3-3.5 hrs screen on time. For me I use a medium brightness setting GPS wifi BT off unless I'm using them and my Gmail isn't on auto sync. Facebook syncs every 30 minutes I believe and that's about it. I've had that on all my androids and havent noticed much difference with all of those things turned down or off

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
you know it takes a good 2 weeks for you batt life to get better, make sure your conditioning the battery right... you havent had it that long and your probably still using it more than you normally would

Can you elaborate? What do you mean by conditioning the battery right?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If 3.5 hours screen on time is typical then it won't get any better than that. You'll just have to manage when you use that screen on time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's disappointing...

What were u expecting? This is a powerful smartphone with an average battery capacity maybe a little above average. I'd say 3hrs screen on time is a good average out of most of the android phones out. What phones did u have before this?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
well when you first get the phone you want to use it till it almost dies then fully charge it, and try not to do alot of short charges here and there after that.. it will help with long term batt life if the first few charge cycles you drain it down and fully charge it..

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The only time I was dissapointed with battery life was coming from the iPhone 4 where I'd get 4-5 hrs screen on time to my razr where I'd get 2.5. And when we got 4g lte. But I've come to realize most of my androids get around 3hrs. I've had the note,gs2,razr,Droid x,incredible,galaxy nexus,evo 4g, evo 3d. And all of those phones were between 2-3hrs screen on time.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
What were u expecting? This is a powerful smartphone with an average battery capacity maybe a little above average. I'd say 3hrs screen on time is a good average out of most of the android phones out. What phones did u have before this?

I wanted to be able to get around 3 to 5 hour screen time with the phone on battery from around 8 am to around 11 pm when I go to bed.
-Galaxy S3
-BlackBerry Storm
-G1

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The only time I was dissapointed with battery life was coming from the iPhone 4 where I'd get 4-5 hrs screen on time to my razr where I'd get 2.5. And when we got 4g lte. But I've come to realize most of my androids get around 3hrs. I've had the note,gs2,razr,Droid x,incredible,galaxy nexus,evo 4g, evo 3d. And all of those phones were between 2-3hrs screen on time.

So I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 5 then. But I'm still skeptical, heard it's not that much better in terms of battery life. Cause having a long-lasting battery is the number one thing I look for in a smart phone. I would get the RAZR but I don't want Verizon and their prices haha

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to be able to get around 3 to 5 hour screen time with the phone on battery from around 8 am to around 11 pm when I go to bed.
-Galaxy S3
-BlackBerry Storm
-G1

So 15 hours with 3-5 screen on tine is do able. But not if use all your screen on tine within the first 7 hours of the phone being unplugged.if I let my phone sit for 10 hours at work almost untouched with maybe 10 texts I can leave work with about 80% battery and still go home and get 2.5 or so hours of screen on time. But most of the time I'm constantly on my phone and get that 2.5-3hrs within the first 6 hours of being unplugged. Just depends on how u use ur phone. Just goes to show how fast the screen drains the battery. Also if u have access to wifi that helps save a lot of battery. On my note I average about 2.5-3hrs screen on time on hspa+. When at home on wifi I can get around 4 hours screen on time.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 5 then. But I'm still skeptical, heard it's not that much better in terms of battery life. Cause having a long-lasting battery is the number one thing I look for in a smart phone. I would get the RAZR but I don't want Verizon and their prices haha

Ya my iPhone 4 had the best battery in a phone I've had. Not sure if it was the small screen software or hardware or a combination. Also u can look into the mophie juice packs and there is also another brand that is a case/battery which would be nice. Extra 1500mah plus protection. 1500 mah would probably give u another 2 hours of screen on time.power skin is the other one. I've thought about getting a razr but can justify leaving straight talk for $50 a month to go pay $120 and charge my phone 1 time less per day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante