-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ya my iPhone 4 had the best battery in a phone I've had. Not sure if it was the small screen software or hardware or a combination. Also u can look into the mophie juice packs and there is also another brand that is a case/battery which would be nice. Extra 1500mah plus protection. 1500 mah would probably give u another 2 hours of screen on time.power skin is the other one. I've thought about getting a razr but can justify leaving straight talk for $50 a month to go pay $120 and charge my phone 1 time less per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

That's a large chunk of change to drop haha All I can do is hope the battery gets better after time :-\ Yeah. My friend has an iPhone 4 too and she regularly gets 5+ hrs screen time with a single charge. That's incredible. I considered getting Sprint but I've read that the 5 on Sprint is horrific. And don't get me wrong I LOVE my Nexus 4 but I was really expecting the same numbers as the iphone 4 in terms of battery life.

anon1020562

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
That reminds me, are there any special procedures you need to do with the Nexus 4 to prolong battery life? As in, do you have to do any of that "charge for like 10 hours and then drain completely" stuff?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That reminds me, are there any special procedures you need to do with the Nexus 4 to prolong battery life? As in, do you have to do any of that "charge for like 10 hours and then drain completely" stuff?

U haven't had to do that for a while.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's a large chunk of change to drop haha All I can do is hope the battery gets better after time :-\ Yeah. My friend has an iPhone 4 too and she regularly gets 5+ hrs screen time with a single charge. That's incredible. I considered getting Sprint but I've read that the 5 on Sprint is horrific. And don't get me wrong I LOVE my Nexus 4 but I was really expecting the same numbers as the iphone 4 in terms of battery life.

Ya I was hoping the sake thing. I'm hoping they make one of the mophie juice pack or powerskin battery cases for the nexus 4 because that would be great

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
42% of your total battery life was consumed by your screen...

I don't know about you, but when I have a new phone I tend to play with it a lot for the first week or so which results in far more "on" time than I have once I settle down and integrate the device into my life. In a day or two the newness will wear off and you will likely see some improvement in battery life.

You might also consider changing your display setting from automatic to somewhere in the 20% range and see how that works out for you - I think you will find that even when turned down that low, it is still surprisingly bright (and usable) in nearly all circumstances.

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to be able to get around 3 to 5 hour screen time with the phone on battery from around 8 am to around 11 pm when I go to bed.
-Galaxy S3
-BlackBerry Storm
-G1

I think what some of your issues are is Twicca isn't optimized for jellybean 4.2 and neither is Handcent. Can cause drain for you.

It's definitely you. Mine lasted 14hrs with very heavy use today. I took this at 11hrs though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354088765336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354088765336.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 103

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^ ^
Note the huge difference in this guy's stats in regards to battery consumption by the screen (27% vs 42% for the OP). Also, note the conspicuous absence of Chrome from the top of the list (another 11% for the OP). Take it from me, web browsing consumes far more power than does voice calls; partly due (I expect) to differences in the power consumption of the radios used for voice vs. data, and also because web browsing by definition includes lots of screen time as compared to voice calls where the screen typically turns itself off for most of the duration (unless using speakerphone).

Also, while on this subject, the OP should make sure that the his N4 is set to go to sleep within a reasonable period of time - preferably no more than 2 minutes. Better yet, get used to using the power button every time you set the phone down. You will be amazed by the effect on battery life from these two simple steps.

callumjfraser

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried removing auto brightness and setting it to a much lower setting your comfortable with. The main drain on phones is the backlight. Lower the backlight and the phone time increases exponentially.

Sent from my ST25i using Android Central Forums

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I think what some of your issues are is Twicca isn't optimized for jellybean 4.2 and neither is Handcent. Can cause drain for you.

It's definitely you. Mine lasted 14hrs with very heavy use today. I took this at 11hrs though.

You see, that's amazing. That's how i want mine to be. Handcent did get updated for android 4.2 but im not so sure about twicca. But i did factory reset the phone and didnt install ANY apps to see if that would help but nope. still around 9 hours, 2 hr screen time. Im gonna turn off auto brightness and set it to around 20%. See, I knew it could be better.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
^ ^
Note the huge difference in this guy's stats in regards to battery consumption by the screen (27% vs 42% for the OP). Also, note the conspicuous absence of Chrome from the top of the list (another 11% for the OP). Take it from me, web browsing consumes far more power than does voice calls; partly due (I expect) to differences in the power consumption of the radios used for voice vs. data, and also because web browsing by definition includes lots of screen time as compared to voice calls where the screen typically turns itself off for most of the duration (unless using speakerphone).

Also, while on this subject, the OP should make sure that the his N4 is set to go to sleep within a reasonable period of time - preferably no more than 2 minutes. Better yet, get used to using the power button every time you set the phone down. You will be amazed by the effect on battery life from these two simple steps.

I have it to 15 sec. I press the power button everytime. but im pretty sure youre right. ive played with everything except for the screen brightness. ill do that tomorrow. set it at around 20-30 %.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Another thing, notice how your blue bar under the main battery stats is solid? Mine is all cut up. Should that be a concern?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
^ ^

Because the op had more screen on time in less hours meaning he used his phone more.

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense. I understand how that's true. But again, what about the drainage? why do I lose 3-5% in less than 5 min when all I'm doing is texting?

Have you considered that a sudden drop might be to do with the battery meter rather than the battery? I used Gsam Battery Monitor on my One X and found that it sometimes "stalled", the battery not dropping after being on standby for an hour or so, then when I used an app the monitor suddenly seemed to refresh itself, catch up and drop a few percent in one go.

jman1323

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
A huge difference to me between the OP's usage and Freshly_Snipes is that the OP NEVER used wifi and Freshly was on wifi all day. I get 16 hours or so with around 3 hours on screen time but I am using wifi whenever its available and I have my screen on the lowest brightness unless I am outdoors (then its on Auto).

Jesse

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I disabled so many features, basically dumbing down my device, and 8 hours is all I can get? NO WAY. Even with the 3.5 screen time that's not normal. Chris Chavez reviewed the Nexus 4 on Phandroid and he got 14 hours on the same screen time as mine. And if that was normal, what about my second point, what about the drainage? 5% in less than two minutes from PURE TEXTING? Idk. Nexus 4 and Android overall would be a huge disappointment if this was considered normal.

What screen brightness do you have? If you turn it down to 10%, you'll likely get longer battery life.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
What screen brightness do you have? If you turn it down to 10%, you'll likely get longer battery life.

Its been on auto brightness since day one. but today I unplugged it with it at around 20%. Within the first 20 seconds it dropped a percent -___-

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered that a sudden drop might be to do with the battery meter rather than the battery? I used Gsam Battery Monitor on my One X and found that it sometimes "stalled", the battery not dropping after being on standby for an hour or so, then when I used an app the monitor suddenly seemed to refresh itself, catch up and drop a few percent in one go.

Is there a way to prevent that?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Its been on auto brightness since day one. but today I unplugged it with it at around 20%. Within the first 20 seconds it dropped a percent -___-

Try setting the brightness to the lowest level and then use it for a whole day and report the difference.

stiawdftw

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
well when you first get the phone you want to use it till it almost dies then fully charge it, and try not to do alot of short charges here and there after that.. it will help with long term batt life if the first few charge cycles you drain it down and fully charge it..

This was true for older NiMh/NiCa, but not so much anymore. Lithium batteries don't need to be drained and don't mind being charged often for short periods of time.