-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow once you starting playing some games on this thing the battery just disappears. Plague. Inc is fun though haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
10am off charger
1:45am on charger
battery was at 8%
4 hours of screen time
almost 16 hours

only things off are Google Now (don't need this feature) and NFC

not too bad today...juicedefender def made a big difference IMO

Freak.A.Droid

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Battery Life after 3 conditioning cycles.png

Attached is my Battery life after doing 3 complete drainage conditioning cycles (Drain completely - leave off - charge completely) - not bad. I guess the one caeat here is though I am a moderate user - I don't game on my device; I really only use the phone when I have need (i.e. Mail, Browsing web at work, phone, check the temperature outside when I am working etc).

Oh and I don't have anything turned off (Service wise) except I changed it so that Google Now doesn't listen for "Google" to search; that and I guess I limited Google now to only search for files/services that I use (not Play Magazine, video, books) However I do use Google Music - and (Unfortunately) I am a heavy texter because all of my friends seem to prefer to communicate frequently that way. (Or Talk).

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Well day 2 since reflashing and turning off the update location automatically setting in maps, and I'm pleased to say I'm still no closer to pinpointing which of the 2 changes made the most difference but currently :

79% remaining battery
5h 56m since taking off charge
22mins screen time (not alot I agree)
Made 2 short phone calls, few texts, bit of web browsing, few emails, Whatsapp, Google+, Chrome, Facebook.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup definitely don't recommend gaming without a charger around. I went from 40% to 14% in about an hour while playing Plague Inc.

This is good to know. Guess my old Photon will become my gaming device as well as my back-up music/whatever device. Kids like playing on the phone way too much for me to let them use the N4. :)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Well day 2 since reflashing and turning off the update location automatically setting in maps, and I'm pleased to say I'm still no closer to pinpointing which of the 2 changes made the most difference but currently :

79% remaining battery
5h 56m since taking off charge
22mins screen time (not alot I agree)
Made 2 short phone calls, few texts, bit of web browsing, few emails, Whatsapp, Google+, Chrome, Facebook.

I would try turning the update location setting back on in Maps for your next full charge and see how that impacts your battery. You have plenty of data with it off to compare to now. If that doesn't have any noticeable effect, then obviously something went screwy with the first update that you fixed by re-flashing.

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I would try turning the update location setting back on in Maps for your next full charge and see how that impacts your battery. You have plenty of data with it off to compare to now. If that doesn't have any noticeable effect, then obviously something went screwy with the first update that you fixed by re-flashing.

Yep was my theory too, gonna try that tomorrow :)

InItRightNow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just going to add my stats to the mix...here's the stats for this following screenshot:

- Day 2, 3rd charge
- Using to 0%, charging to 100% each time
- GPS on, NFC on, auto checkin off
- Brightness to auto
- Gmail and Facebook push notifications on
- No navigation, map usage
- NO calls, 1 text message

To me, this seems absolutely ridiculous. The phone heats up like crazy and just drains battery like crazy. This battery loss is from sitting indoors in a conference room while barely using the phone at all. The only thing I can think of is that signal was poor, but I checked and this wasn't the case. This is similar loss of battery to what I've been experiencing over the last couple days.

Anybody have any input?? Should I send this back??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-06-09-29-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-06-09-29-13.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2012-12-06-09-28-45.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-06-09-28-45.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 42

YujiN4

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I found my N4 does not go to deep sleep with some of the live wallpapers such as Snowfall live, even though Galaxy Nexus goes to deep sleep with the same wallpaper. I had constant battery drain, but with different wallpaper, it is considerably better.

Some other live wallpapers prevent N4 deep sleep are Blue Skies, aniPet Aquarium, Ocean HD, Jumpgate, EarthRot, Thunderstorm.
Galaxy Pack works fine and goes to deep sleep.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Live wallpapers - well-coded ones, that is - don't eat that much power.

I used Navigation on the drive in again this morning and it sucked down 25% of the battery in 35 minutes. Unreal.

nexus4backordrsuckz

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Plain and simple if I just use WiFi no data connection, no cell service its fine as soon as I turn on phone service and data batteries dead within two hours... Nothings on no NFC no location no WiFi nothing no apps on and batteries dead, I have full bars and 19 down on 4g great service here so its not looking for signal but the battery dies as soon as I connect to tmo...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
in Settings>Display>Sleep I have my Nexus 4 set to 1 minute, but for whatever reason my phone stays on until I manually turn it off. Am I doing something wrong? I just bought a tpu s-line clear case. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The power button does seem recessed lower than normal, but I may be incorrect.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
in Settings>Display>Sleep I have my Nexus 4 set to 1 minute, but for whatever reason my phone stays on until I manually turn it off. Am I doing something wrong? I just bought a tpu s-line clear case. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The power button does seem recessed lower than normal, but I may be incorrect.

I powered it down all the way and it works like it should now.

darthus

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
InItRightNow, i you want help debugging your battery drain, download GSam battery, install and post screenshots of app usage. What you posted doesn't show anything. It's saying you lost 47% of your battery in 2 and a half hours from "screen, phone idle and Android OS" which I don't believe. The built in battery monitor is really not great about finding apps that are battery hogs, unfortunately.

InItRightNow

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
InItRightNow, i you want help debugging your battery drain, download GSam battery, install and post screenshots of app usage. What you posted doesn't show anything. It's saying you lost 47% of your battery in 2 and a half hours from "screen, phone idle and Android OS" which I don't believe. The built in battery monitor is really not great about finding apps that are battery hogs, unfortunately.

These screens are from today, 3rd day of usage. Settings this time:

- Day 3, 4th charge
- GPS OFF, NFC on, auto checkin off
- Brightness to auto
- NO calls, NO text messages

I've also noticed that the phone gets very hot very quickly, even while on standby in my pocket, and this seems to chew thru the battery much quicker.

I appreciate anyone's help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-16.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-16.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-42.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-10-15-42.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 22

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
These screens are from today, 3rd day of usage. Settings this time:

- Day 3, 4th charge
- GPS OFF, NFC on, auto checkin off
- Brightness to auto
- NO calls, NO text messages

I've also noticed that the phone gets very hot very quickly, even while on standby in my pocket, and this seems to chew thru the battery much quicker.

I appreciate anyone's help!

Android system and System (wakelock) are way higher than on mine, I'd be inclined to make sure the settings are backed up, do a reflash with 4.2.1 like I did and install only the apps you need and see what happens. Mine's now lasting between 16 and 18 hours per charge when before it was shocking and I only made 2 small change, one being the reflash.

This is mine today :

Screenshot_2012-12-07-15-51-52.jpg.jpg

Screenshot_2012-12-07-15-51-58.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante