-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Battery sucks on this thing. Phone drained 40% over night. Went to bed with 57% woke up with 14%..... I am not sure how you guys use these things, but it drains much faster than my iPhone 5.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Below is the result after my first full day of using the N4 (after having it charging all night the first time).

I don't know if it's "normal" or not, but I just though I'd add another data point.
If you see anything odd in it, let me know.

Also, after it reaches 100% charge, is it better to unplug or or leave it plugged in? Say it reaches 100% at 1am and you aren't planning on waking up and fleeing with it until 8am.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. 4 hours of screen time.

Btw that is some crazy Emoji action you have. I wonder if Go SMS is a battery hog?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey on this subject can someone explain to me proper charging techniques? I ordered a nexus 4 but won't have it till January, but in the meantime I'd like to know the proper way to charge it as with a built in battery, replacement isn't an option

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Plug it in, charge it all the way. Don't let it drain down to 0% if you can help it. Try to charge it at around 10%. There isn't much more to know. Lithium Ion batteries are smart.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Battery sucks on this thing. Phone drained 40% over night. Went to bed with 57% woke up with 14%..... I am not sure how you guys use these things, but it drains much faster than my iPhone 5.

There appears to be a rouge app causing drain while it is sleeping. You may want to install GSM battery monitor to see if this is the case.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm betting 4.2 is the problem. I mean the Optimus G gets better battery life and benchmarks with a skinned ics 4.03, that tells you something right there! When a skinned oem version of android outperforms pure android you know you have a problem!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I took off the Weather Channel widget.. I'll see if that helps

You may want to look at how your phone is syncing. I set some apps to sync every 2 hours rather than all the time. But this shouldn't matter as much when it's asleep. I would also just turn off data, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS while you are sleeping. This makes a difference.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm betting 4.2 is the problem. I mean the Optimus G gets better battery life and benchmarks with a skinned ics 4.03, that tells you something right there! When a skinned oem version of android outperforms pure android you know you have a problem!

I agree. May be worth seeing if you can flash an older version of JB until they sort it out.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how possible that is on the 4,but with 5 weeks to go till its in my hands hopefully they get it sorted out.

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
You may want to look at how your phone is syncing. I set some apps to sync every 2 hours rather than all the time. But this shouldn't matter as much when it's asleep. I would also just turn off data, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS while you are sleeping. This makes a difference.

Yea I understand that would make a difference lol. But why should I need to do that every night before I go to bed. I believe the power management system on this is flawed. Hopefully an update will come out to fix this.

DEVILDOG78965

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I should contribute to the thread. 5 hours since charge with moderate texting (20 or so sent/received) and some internet browsing and other random things. Auto brightness turned off and location services turned off. I also use app killer and its set to every 30 minutes. Connected to Telus LTE network as well. I still have 73% remaining. I had the expandable 2000mah battery from samsung for my gnex and the N4 battery lasts longer for sure. The original battery in the gnex was horrible compared to the N4. I think people are just overusing the phone because its new.

That's what I'm thinking about people about using there phone because I am and I already used about 3 gb of data on my phone luck I got 16 gb.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I've been reading the whole thread after I've discovered my phone's battery is draining way too fast. And I mean... fast. I'll upload a capture later, but 15% can go away easily in 10 minutes.

That started happening yesterday. Until then, everything was working fine. More than perfect, I'd say. Even with the latest update (lucky me!). I could go 24 hours without charging it, sometimes even more. The thing is that yesterday evening, at an electronics shop, I was considering buying an alarm clock with a USB connector so my phone can sit there overnight to be charged. I tried my phone with a couple of them when suddenly, after trying to play music on one of devices, the cell phone goes off. Which was weird, because half of my battery was full. It took me a while to turn it on. And since then, bam, draining like crazy. 50 minutes means 25% battery less, without using it. And that's after a factory reset. I read about the Exchange bugs but since I am not using that service it does not apply to me.

Have any of you guys had similar issues?

Not with a Nexus, no, but that sounds very similar to what happened to my original iPod Touch. I had an older HDD-based iPod and received a clock radio/dock as a present. Then the old iPod was stolen, and I replaced it with the first gen Touch. Battery life was fine at first, but a day or two after using the dock with the new player, my battery life was horrible. Apple Store confirmed something was seriously wrong with the battery and replaced it, but I'm convinced the dock somehow fried it.

It's possible something similar happened to you, that drain is definitely not normal. You can either contact Google for a replacement, or you can try reflashing the stock Android 4.2.1 image and see if that resets something (see the first post in the rooting/rom subforum for info).

dave9851

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

Any ideas? As of now, this is the worst battery life I've had on any android phone I've owned. Have auto brightness off and level set pretty low too.

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery going down fast. 49min screen time, 60%

Post some screenshots of your battery stats. It's likely an app, at least that is where I would start. You could try installing GSam Battery Monitor to help you find out where the drain is coming from. Also what is the total usage time on your phone? 49 minutes of screen time with 60% battery left is not bad at all if the phone has been on for two days for example.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Any ideas? As of now, this is the worst battery life I've had on any android phone I've owned. Have auto brightness off and level set pretty low too.
What were you doing in this screen time? Not all screen time is created equal. For example, playing a high def streaming video on your phone for 49 minutes will consume more battery than 49 minutes of facebook updates. The more data/bandwidth intensive your task, the more battery it will use.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
To be fair android battery life really isn't all that terrible. My sister's iphone 5 drains just as fast lol

Then your sister has a bad iPhone 5. Mine lasts about 22-24 hours between charges and has 8-9 hours of usage. My usage is mostly with the screen on, ie, texting, web browsing, navigation, emailing and reading the news on zite, clipboard etc. here is my latest sample

pu2y2uje.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7

dave9851

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

All chrome browsing, but I've had the same usage on all android phones I've owned.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got 2.3 hours of on screen time at about 40% brightness, but that was starting out of the box at 60% (no charge)

that was with everything on, on low signal hspa+ inside my house. lots of texting and downloading apps as well as a bit of youtube in hd. i was impressed with that, because with a full charge I should assume I'll probably end up with about 4+ hours of screen on time. I don't even have the time to have my screen on for 4 hours in a day.

Also I don't believe anyone telling me an iphone 5 lasts 8-9 hours with screen on. That is borderline ridiculous and imo completely unnecessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance