-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Also I don't believe anyone telling me an iphone 5 lasts 8-9 hours with screen on. That is borderline ridiculous and imo completely unnecessary.

Believe what you want. I am telling you what I regularly get with my iPhone 5. I am not the only one either. On imore there are others getting what I am getting. Granted there are some that do not. But they are in the minority.

I have my phone set-up as follows:

Three emails that fetch data every hour.
Screen set to auto
Vibration is set to off
Bluetooth is on for my car
Wifi at home
LTE everywhere else
GPS is on all the time but not for all apps.

Sent from my iPhone 7

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Believe what you want. I am telling you what I regularly get with my iPhone 5. I am not the only one either. On imore there are others getting what I am getting. Granted there are some that do not. But they are in the minority.

Screen set to auto
Vibration is set to off
Wifi at home
LTE everywhere else

Sent from my iPhone 7

Are you telling me this phone would easily last you 2 days of 4 hours of screen on time per day? The iPhone 5 is fully capable of lasting you Saturday morning until Sunday night if you only use the screen 4 hours a day?

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Also I forgot to take into account it has a smaller display to light up, so maybe the nexus 4 would be closer to 5 hours with a 4".

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea I understand that would make a difference lol. But why should I need to do that every night before I go to bed. I believe the power management system on this is flawed. Hopefully an update will come out to fix this.

Honestly battery management is nothing new. You can choose to not do it as long as you are okay with a dead battery. You have to adapt.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you telling me this phone would easily last you 2 days of 4 hours of screen on time per day? The iPhone 5 is fully capable of lasting you Saturday morning until Sunday night if you only use the screen 4 hours a day?

I said one day=24 hours. The phone lasts me one day between charges during that one day it spends about 8-9 hours in use. I text, email, read the web about cars, read tapatalk, read about politics using Zite and Flipboard. Sometimes I check Facebook but not much lately. I use some of the 225 apps that I have on my phone. I use my gym goal app to log my workouts, for example. I rarely listen to music or the radio. Sometimes I use navigation. Bluetooth, wifi, GPS are always on.

Sent from my iPhone 7

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I said one day=24 hours. The phone lasts me one day between charges during that one day it spends about 8-9 hours in use. I text, email, read the web about cars, read tapatalk, read about politics using Zite and Flipboard. Sometimes I check Facebook but not much lately. I use some of the 225 apps that I have on my phone. I use my gym goal app to log my workouts, for example. I rarely listen to music or the radio. Sometimes I use navigation. Bluetooth, wifi, GPS are always on.

Sent from my iPhone 7

And you are on this forum why?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Screen set to auto
Vibration is set to off
Wifi at home
LTE everywhere else

Your still not getting nine hours of screen time. There is not one review/test/benchmark/user experience that I have seen or read yet that goes that high.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So I'm thinking about getting the iPhone 5 then. But I'm still skeptical, heard it's not that much better in terms of battery life. Cause having a long-lasting battery is the number one thing I look for in a smart phone. I would get the RAZR but I don't want Verizon and their prices haha

Get a note 2 then which has screen on time from 6 to 9 hours under normal use. Under video play back 12-14 hours. If you don't want note 2 then buy any good phone with extended battery.

saadi703

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I got 2.3 hours of on screen time at about 40% brightness, but that was starting out of the box at 60% (no charge)

that was with everything on, on low signal hspa+ inside my house. lots of texting and downloading apps as well as a bit of youtube in hd. i was impressed with that, because with a full charge I should assume I'll probably end up with about 4+ hours of screen on time. I don't even have the time to have my screen on for 4 hours in a day.

Also I don't believe anyone telling me an iphone 5 lasts 8-9 hours with screen on. That is borderline ridiculous and imo completely unnecessary.

iPhone 5 lasting 8-9 hours is a lie. I used to have one and it never lasted long and with my usage which consists of gaming as well it never even reached half of the time mentioned here. From time to time I have owned every other iPhone and I was never impressed by battery life.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Get a galaxy note 2, it has amazing battery life and u can get it on all 4 of the major U.S. carriers.

Nah that phone is too big haha s3 was as big a phone I'll go. And I like having updates as soon as they're released not having to wait months. A major reason I returned my s3 for the nexus 4. But I did sell my nexus 4. I'm shipping it out on Monday. I expected a lot more from the battery, regardless of what anyone says.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

You have not done enough research to see benchmarks of the iPhone five getting 8-9 hours of screen time. Here are the results from Anandtech's test. These are the images from their web browsing battery life tests on LTE. and wifi

avumu5as.jpg

pu7u4e9y.jpg

And here is the direct link to the article where the screen shots came from

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

Sent from my iPhone 7

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You have not done enough research to see benchmarks of the iPhone five getting 8-9 hours of screen time. Here are the results from Anandtech's test. These are the images from their web browsing battery life tests on LTE. and wifi

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/09/avumu5as.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/09/pu7u4e9y.jpg

And here is the direct link to the article where the screen shots came from

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/13

Sent from my iPhone 7

I have an employee with a iphone 5 and the battery is pretty reasonable according to him. He came from the HTC Facinate and said it was way better. But this thread isn't about and iphone 5 let's stay on topic.

MerkurMan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Not to add any offtopic discussion to this thread, but I believe that the iPhone's "usage" monitor shows any and all activity, including background sync, not just screen on time.

With that said, it still wins the real-world tests, but not by a landslide margin compared to the One X. One also wonders what brightness levels they used on all the phones during the test.

As for my personal use case, I keep my devices at 100% at all times, so those are the only numbers I care about, and as long as the N4 I have waiting in limbo gets better battery life @ 100% than my GSM GNex (about 2.5-3hrs over a 12hr day), I'll be happy as a clam.

Any N4 users out there keep their phones at a high brightness level and can report on real world usage results?

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After 3 battery cycles I am getting 4 hours and 15 minutes of screen on time on my nexus 4. It's not setup with a carrier yet so all my usage has been on wifi. That's an improvement though from when I first got it, charged it to 100% and drained it to 0. The first time it only got 3 hours and 30 minutes. Hopefully it keeps improving with a few more cycles.

nexus4backordrsuckz

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I sent a text on my phone battery was 43% 5 minutes later I pulled it out and it was at 3% no location no NFC no nothing but data and cell service all apps were off nothing was set to sync or update, is there any rational cause for this?
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I sent a text on my phone battery was 43% 5 minutes later I pulled it out and it was at 3% no location no NFC no nothing but data and cell service all apps were off nothing was set to sync or update, is there any rational cause for this?
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Maybe a faulty battery.

ikerJ

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I realized that my battery drains even if the phone is off! And its temperature remains as hot as when it's on. Just when the baterry is empty the phone starts to cold. So it might be a short circuit or something related to the hardware. I'll call the Google guys to see what I can do...