-------Nexus 4 Battery Life (Horrible, Major drainage!)-------

m92singh

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Am afraid your right, I think some of the new batches that were maid were the test devices are likely to have some problems, My phone shows good statistics of usage but the battery does seem to drain. Am gonna use it for a few days and then maybe contact Google, as you said nothing to loose :) On the whole a great piece of kit, tremendously fast, great features. A winner overall.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Galaxy Nexus GSM with larger battery and back. It had very, very good battery life. This new Nexus 4 is disappointing. Sucks because EVERYTHING else about this phone is stellar, screen size (slightly larger width, camera, screen, screen screen).

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-12-17-16-33-46.png

5:30am - 4:30pm
Screen at 25% birghtness all day
Mobile network connection 9 hours
WiFi 2 hours
Web browsing all day
Facebook all day
Downloaded 2 or 3 apps
watched a couple Youtube videos
captured a few pictures
Played 10 minutes of trials bike
30 minutes of music from Play Music
15 minutes of music from Pandora

Pretty decent imo

dentmac

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I had an initial "Not charging "issue - A hard reset didn't fix it but it "Healed "itself after going down to 5% and getting the warning. Battery life seems awful so far . Great site and I will try Gsam battery monitor and turn screen down to 15%. I carry this everywhere--POWERTRIP with 16 Gig --http://www.powerstick.com/microsite/products/powertrip/

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I did end up selling my Nexus 4. I couldn't deal with 3 hours of screen time and the phone not lasting past 7 pm. I know it's off topic but I bought an iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. Easily get 6-7 hours of screen time on HSPA+ and today I got 8.5 on Wi-Fi. My Nexus 4 will be missed though.

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I got 10+ hours of streaming through google music/wtfpod and stitcher today. about 2 hours of screen on, everything set to sync immediately and some texting back and forth. phone was off the charger since 10am, just now at 14%.

I don't understand how you can complain about that. I also don't believe this 6-7 hour screen on time. If I try to use my nexus 4 as much as possible all day I couldn't even manage to find 6 hours to use the screen.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got 10+ hours of streaming through google music/wtfpod and stitcher today. about 2 hours of screen on, everything set to sync immediately and some texting back and forth. phone was off the charger since 10am, just now at 14%.

I don't understand how you can complain about that. I also don't believe this 6-7 hour screen on time. If I try to use my nexus 4 as much as possible all day I couldn't even manage to find 6 hours to use the screen.

Are you referring to my post?

severinj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to my post?

Partly. I don't understand your motives either - You insisted something was wrong with your Nexus 4, your battery life was sketchy and bad, and your choice was to just get rid of it. Google has been saving stock specifically for exchanges for issues like you have listed. You continued to complain about it, and sorry if I got this wrong, but it seems like you never actually did anything about it. My phone lasts all day with no issues at all and heavy streaming. The 3500mah battery on my HTC G2 lasted about the same amount of time with the same amount of streaming/internet usage on 2.3.

This entire thread seems like it was created with a purpose in mind, yet the purpose didn't seem to be to get your phone replaced with a properly working one. Again, I am not trying to act like this is a conspiracy or anything, but it seems like you couldn't help but to jump to an entirely different phone instead of getting a working one.

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Partly. I don't understand your motives either - You insisted something was wrong with your Nexus 4, your battery life was sketchy and bad, and your choice was to just get rid of it. Google has been saving stock specifically for exchanges for issues like you have listed. You continued to complain about it, and sorry if I got this wrong, but it seems like you never actually did anything about it. My phone lasts all day with no issues at all and heavy streaming. The 3500mah battery on my HTC G2 lasted about the same amount of time with the same amount of streaming/internet usage on 2.3.

This entire thread seems like it was created with a purpose in mind, yet the purpose didn't seem to be to get your phone replaced with a properly working one. Again, I am not trying to act like this is a conspiracy or anything, but it seems like you couldn't help but to jump to an entirely different phone instead of getting a working one.

Not gonna go through that hassle of shipping it then waiting to get a new one and then that battery sucks too. Why should I? I paid hard earned money for a device, it should work the FIRST time I obtain it. I tried with the Galaxy S3 (battery sucked, I returned it) then I got the Nexus 4 (same thing). And I did try to do something about it. That's why I created this thread? To see what I was doing wrong and to obtain suggestions. I had the phone for about 3 weeks total, not like I sold it 2 days after buying it? And I'm more than happy with my iPhone. Amazing battery life with 6-7 hr screen time. Exactly what I need. That's just my personal preference. Android still holds a spot in my heart but for now, I'll be sticking with the iPhone.

skibbs

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I feel like my Nexus burns through more battery while idle than my iPhone 4 did... but I'm getting the hang of Android and learning how to better manage the battery life now. 5 hours and 40 minutes of screen time seems pretty good, I just wish I could have less idle drain. I uninstalled Facebook which was causing my battery to drain with an always-on GPS connection and switched most apps to update very infrequently, such as Exchange, Gmail, NY Times, etc. because it's just as easy to manually update when I launch them. Overall, battery life management on Android is more of a PITA than iOS but it's not overwhelming.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355917208463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355917208463.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355917218944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355917218944.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 57
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355917235485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355917235485.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 58

iortiz55

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I feel like my Nexus burns through more battery while idle than my iPhone 4 did... but I'm getting the hang of Android and learning how to better manage the battery life now. 5 hours and 40 minutes of screen time seems pretty good, I just wish I could have less idle drain. I uninstalled Facebook which was causing my battery to drain with an always-on GPS connection and switched most apps to update very infrequently, such as Exchange, Gmail, NY Times, etc. because it's just as easy to manually update when I launch them. Overall, battery life management on Android is more of a PITA than iOS but it's not overwhelming.

This is insane. My Nexus would go nowhere near this territory. 3.5 was the absolute max I could achieve before it died. And you're completely right about the battery management. With my iPhone I can just naturally use my phone without having to monitor its use and I know I'll finish the day with 30%. When I had my Nexus I constantly had to baby it throughout the day.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
iOS is just better at managing power. It kills apps better than Android. It's unfortunate that manufacturers are not taking the lead that Motorola and the Note 2 have. I will have my Nexus 4 tomorrow so am hoping to see better battery than my Samsung GS2. I also ordered a portable Anker battery pack to use for long trips and power emergencies.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

slvrevoix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I get 4+ hours screen on time... Delete facebook, disable currents, and unchecked location reporting. Before I did these things I would be lucky to get 3 hours.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Life is about compromises ..... If having an all day battery on a single charge is THE most important consideration for you, this is likely not the right phone for you.

Roger Donald

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the iPhone 4 to the Nexus 4 and I love every aspect of the Nexus except for the battery life. I really don't think it's as much a problem of the Nexus 4 as it was just a truly "magical" battery and battery management in the iPhone. I never worried about my iPhone's battery and I used it constantly and hardly ever charged it. I'm charging my Nexus more than I use it, kinda sucks but I still love it.
I was jogging tonight, listening to music and using mapmyrun. 6 minutes into my run I got an 11% battery warning, 3 minutes later I got 2% battery warning and 1 minute later it shut down. I've run with iPhones for the past 4 years and I never had one shut down during a run.
If battery life is your #1 concern buy an iPhone. I'll just make sure my Nexus is at 50% before I go jogging, or I'll carry a portable charger. I'm not going to set my screen on dim however, makes no sense to have a phone that you can't see.

hawgs911

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Last nite when I wnet to bed I had 65% battery. When I wake up 8 hours later I have 30% battery. How does a phone loose that much battery while the screen is off!?