Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 124
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    I've been using groove ip for the past week, and while it works great over wifi, the same can not be said over tmobile (lots of cutting out), even though I get great coverage and speeds. I really wanted this to work because my wife does talk on her phone. I can live with the $30 tmobile plan and 100 minutes, but I'm going to be getting her the straight talk unlimited everything for $45.

    I even tried sipdroid as that has more codecs to choose from, but it still wasn't good enough over the cell network.
    I too am going to straight talk due to the lack of minutes. I bought groove IP when it went on sale but I hate having to keep it on all the time and I didn't want to merge my number with my Google number. Having unlimited everything for an extra $15 is much better than being on any sprint plan.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    I've seen talk of testing your line to see how good your call is. You can use the free number 1 909 390-0003. Most of the time the line will ring but sometimes it will not ring and no one will answer but when you talk you will hear yourself. I don't think it is really a true test of the quality but you can use it when making adjustments and try to get where it sounds good then try a call to another line with a person to fine tune the settings.

    I have found that for my WiFi calls I get better quality using Talkatone than Groove IP so far.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    I used that number a lot to test the call quality under various settings.

    I gave up on GrooveIP and talktatone as the quality is not satisfactory. I settled for a somewhat complicated VOIP solution but still free. Surprisingly, the call quality on 3g is better than Tmo GSM. Nowadays, I only use the Tmo minutes to compare the call quality.

    Here's the guide. [GUIDE] Free VOIP calls w/ iLBC codec (better than G729?) - xda-developers
    Thanked by:
    evanhr 
  4. #54  
    rupam95's Avatar

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    So to use Groove IP, do you need to unlock the bootloader? Also, is there a step-by-step guide on how to use Groove IP to make free phone calls?

    I am going to try out the $30 monthly 4g plan for a month and see how many minutes i would use in one month.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by rupam95 View Post
    So to use Groove IP, do you need to unlock the bootloader? Also, is there a step-by-step guide on how to use Groove IP to make free phone calls?

    I am going to try out the $30 monthly 4g plan for a month and see how many minutes i would use in one month.
    You do not need to root to use grooveip. Just install the app and you are good to go.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    I also have the T-Mobile $30. 100 minute unlimited data plan. I use Google Voice with Groove IP. My experience with calls has been very positive. The only hiccup is when switching from home wireless to the data Groove Ip takes a couple minutes to log back in to Google Voice. I make it a practice now to check after I leave home to make certain its logged in. I use a MyTouch 4g and a Motorola Xoom with the same setup.

    Also use two other things that help...MagicJack...its not hype, been using it for a few years...best deal out there. Also new service called Freedom Pop that gives you a WI-FI hotspot with 500 MB free and 2G for $10. Works great.
  7. #57  
    erjennin's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 (Stock)

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoman667 View Post
    Has anyone tried this combination? Groove IP will let you send and receive calls through the data provider be it wifi or cellular. At $30 a month, I would never need to burn any of those 100 minutes provided in the plan.

    I think I might try it out when my N4 arrives tomorrow though. $30/mo for an unlimited data plan is pretty sick!
    I tried this for a few days and I blew through the 100 minutes quickly... so I was forced to use GrooveIP for all my remaining calls. The end result is that it didn't work very well. I live in a very well covered T-Mobile area and nearly every caller complained of the call quality. I was forced to eventually change to the $60 UNL Min, UNL Text, 2GB of High Speed data plan on T-Mobile. Coming from Verizon LTE, I don't want to deal with AT&T's slower speeds and I don't like how many people have been complaining of random throttling by StraightTalk.
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by E DIDDY View Post
    I tried this for a few days and I blew through the 100 minutes quickly... so I was forced to use GrooveIP for all my remaining calls. The end result is that it didn't work very well. I live in a very well covered T-Mobile area and nearly every caller complained of the call quality. I was forced to eventually change to the $60 UNL Min, UNL Text, 2GB of High Speed data plan on T-Mobile. Coming from Verizon LTE, I don't want to deal with AT&T's slower speeds and I don't like how many people have been complaining of random throttling by StraightTalk.
    I would checkout Solavei they have $49 unlimited plan using t-mobile towers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
  9. #59  
    skyrockett's Avatar

    Posts
    372 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    i gave up on GrooveIP! I thought it would be a great option... but it isn't.
  10. #60  
    erjennin's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 (Stock)

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    I would checkout Solavei they have $49 unlimited plan using t-mobile towers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Does Solavei offer data/voice roaming? Are the speeds throttled or is the service de-prioritized since it's not T-Mobile's direct plan? My previous experience with Straight Talk wasn't great, so I'm skeptical about Solavei.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    I'm sorry to steal the thread, but I plan on getting the $30 plan. Is there any way I can switch my phone number at Walmart from my AT&T service?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'm sorry to steal the thread, but I plan on getting the $30 plan. Is there any way I can switch my phone number at Walmart from my AT&T service?
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by E DIDDY View Post
    Does Solavei offer data/voice roaming? Are the speeds throttled or is the service de-prioritized since it's not T-Mobile's direct plan? My previous experience with Straight Talk wasn't great, so I'm skeptical about Solavei.
    According to their website they offer roaming for both, but data at 2g speeds.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quick question; I plan on getting the $30 plan as well. Is there any way I can switch my phone number from AT&T to the monthly T-Mobile?
  14. #64  
    erjennin's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 (Stock)

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by ShashankNegi View Post
    Quick question; I plan on getting the $30 plan as well. Is there any way I can switch my phone number from AT&T to the monthly T-Mobile?
    Yes, the port is very easy. When you go through the online process, there is an option to port your number over.
    Thanked by:
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by E DIDDY View Post
    Does Solavei offer data/voice roaming? Are the speeds throttled or is the service de-prioritized since it's not T-Mobile's direct plan? My previous experience with Straight Talk wasn't great, so I'm skeptical about Solavei.
    It's always good to be skeptical with these services providers. I can only relate my understanding/experiences. They have what they call domestic roaming through service partners. These areas are striped on the coverage map. This data roaming is 2g. If you want an example check Kremmling CO - I had 2g data there. No coverage (white) means no coverage. I believe this is the same map as the T-Mobile prepaid but T-Mobile doesn't let you have the 2g in those areas. (I could be wrong.)

    The first 4GB are unthrottled - then 2g. I have never see or heard anything about them being de-prioritized but I honestly can't say for sure. I've posted the question in the customer service forum - I'll let you know if I get an answer.

    I've been very happy with Solavei.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.
    Thanked by:
    jdbii likes this.
  16. #66  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
    It's always good to be skeptical with these services providers. I can only relate my understanding/experiences. They have what they call domestic roaming through service partners. These areas are striped on the coverage map. This data roaming is 2g. If you want an example check Kremmling CO - I had 2g data there. No coverage (white) means no coverage. I believe this is the same map as the T-Mobile prepaid but T-Mobile doesn't let you have the 2g in those areas. (I could be wrong.)

    The first 4GB are unthrottled - then 2g. I have never see or heard anything about them being de-prioritized but I honestly can't say for sure. I've posted the question in the customer service forum - I'll let you know if I get an answer.

    I've been very happy with Solavei.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I was hoping someone with Solavie would chime in. I am probably going to put my wife on their plan soon.

    Please keep us updated with their response about priority.
  17. #67  
    cognus's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Timely thread for me... I have been on the 'other' $30 plan for more than a year. the one with 1500 minutes/messages and 30mb data. would you believe I never hit the limit even once on the data side? To me it was an easy mental discipline to understand that Data on the 'droid is for emergencies - like on a road trip, need to pull a map and can't wait to hit a mcdonald's or burger king or free wifi [in texas along some of the heavily traveled interstates there are a lot of wifi free spots]. see what I mean? I just don't need big downloads until I'm in a spot to sit down and jump on wifi.
    so, I JUST today switched to the "unlimited" data plan, where I'll have to treat voice calls as "must" only. mainly [and this is a business line for me - i consult] its incoming use only. if someone calls to inquire about an appt or something I talk. otherwise, I don't do much chit chat on the handset.
    The thing not mentioned above that needs to be mentioned: on the Prepaid plans, if you hit the wall, just refill. its that simple. think about it as not $30 per month but $30 per tank. If I hit the wall at three weeks, so be it. on a yearly basis it will still work out to be a huge savings.

    also, nobody mentioned the use of google voice callback.... I had noticed in the last 4 months or so that for reasons I don't understand, I'm able to get Google Voice callback [not Groove IP... never used it] in locations I never did before. if anyone understands the 'why' of this I'm all ears
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    I was hoping someone with Solavie would chime in. I am probably going to put my wife on their plan soon.

    Please keep us updated with their response about priority.

    The response I got from Member Support when I asked if people who signed up directly with the carrier got network priority over Solavei members was: "There is no priority from one to the other."

    I obviously don't have any first hand experience or knowledge about this. I can only repeat what I was told.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.
  19. #69  
    jdbii's Avatar

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by cognus View Post
    The thing not mentioned above that needs to be mentioned: on the Prepaid plans, if you hit the wall, just refill. its that simple. think about it as not $30 per month but $30 per tank. If I hit the wall at three weeks, so be it.
    Can't you just pay 10 cents a minute for talk if you hit your 100 minute limit before the end of the month?



    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #70  
    cognus's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    i don't think so - not on prepaid plan as I understand it though the arithmetic may work the same. my understanding is that at the moment you hit the limit, service is stopped until you "refill" and the minimum refill is $30.
    so far, that is the only mechanism I have experienced, and excess capacity that you do not use is flushed.

    they did tell me that the 'special' $30 4G 'unlimited' plan is a one time opportunity. if I stay, I stay. If I change the plan to something else, that offer will not be available again.... [that is, unless I jump ship and they offer a deal to steal customers from at&t et al...]
  21. #71  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    Can't you just pay 10 cents a minute for talk if you hit your 100 minute limit before the end of the month?



    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Correct...only 10 cents a minute for overages. So if you need the extra minutes, they aren't THAT expensive (200 minutes for $20 making it $50 for the month...not horrible).
    Thanked by:
    jdbii 
  22. #72  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Hey Guys,

    I just got my N4 setup with GrooveIP and the T-Mobile 100 minute plan tonight. I'm having a little trouble getting everything configured properly.

    I want GrooveIP to ring when my GVoice number is dialed.

    Currently both the GrooveIP and the native phone app (telco) ring together when the GVoice number is dialed.

    How can I disabled the GVoice call forwarding aspect so only GrooveIP rings?

    Second, has anyone figured out how to use GVoice for voicemail with the 100 minute pre-paid plan? T-Mobile pre-paid doesn't allow GVoice voicemail.

    Thanks!
  23. #73  
    cognus's Avatar

    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    I don't know the answer, but I'm all-ears as to how you got this far. I just went live on the 100 min plan myself. How do you get any coordination between your t-mo number and G-Voice number??? T-mo banishes any associating of the two so far as I've ever known.
    I have wondered, but haven't researched, as to whether a script could be written that would intercept and sorta force-forward to google voice - something vaguely analogous to the old "Google Callback" app

    Quote Originally Posted by .jacob View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I just got my N4 setup with GrooveIP and the T-Mobile 100 minute plan tonight. I'm having a little trouble getting everything configured properly.

    I want GrooveIP to ring when my GVoice number is dialed.

    Currently both the GrooveIP and the native phone app (telco) ring together when the GVoice number is dialed.

    How can I disabled the GVoice call forwarding aspect so only GrooveIP rings?

    Second, has anyone figured out how to use GVoice for voicemail with the 100 minute pre-paid plan? T-Mobile pre-paid doesn't allow GVoice voicemail.

    Thanks!
  24. #74  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    Quote Originally Posted by .jacob View Post
    How can I disabled the GVoice call forwarding aspect so only GrooveIP rings?

    Second, has anyone figured out how to use GVoice for voicemail with the 100 minute pre-paid plan? T-Mobile pre-paid doesn't allow GVoice voicemail.

    Thanks!
    I'm not the best one to answer, but since nobody else chimed in... I did play with GrooveIP for a while. If I remember correctly, the way you get only GrooveIP to ring is in your GV account. You had to select "Forward Calls to Google Chat" under settings. In the same place, if you uncheck the box to forward to your number the then only GrooveIP should ring.

    I can't help with the GV T-Mobile integration. It's one of the reasons I went with Solavei. They are on the T-Mobile network and they support conditional call forwarding so setting up GV voicemail for both my sim number and GV number was easy. Yes, it's $49 - but for every three people that sign up with your link they pay you $20 a month. Three sign ups and I'm effectively paying $29 for unlimited talk / text / data(unthrottled 4GB) and no fighting with GV. (Or having to get GrooveIP working.)

    I tried looking up the "callback" thing. It looked to me like there's a current version called Voice+. Trying that might solve some problems. I really don't know.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Ask me about Solavei.
  25. #75  

    Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

    In addition you can cancel voicemail services from Tmo that way all voicemails go to GV

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
  2. [GUIDE] Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP
    By Takenover83 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM
  3. Should I switch to Tmobile monthly 4g?
    By Smokey 85 in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 03:20 AM
  4. Groove IP and Google Voice
    By sajy999 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  5. Droid X and Groove IP Settings
    By diesteldorf in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Posting Permissions