Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree18Likes

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

I just had a weird issue with someone calling me. Both the Groove IP "dialer" (shows picture, answer/hang up) and the native dialer (swipe to answer) were intermittently ringing. Answering either seem to reject and I'd get a missed call. Person called back and I answered on the native dialer and it worked fine. Is there a setting I should or shouldn't have checked? Is there a general how to regarding using Groove IP and Google Voice together. I believe I have everything setup properly as my minutes aren't been used anymore, but I may be missing something. I only realized the need for something like Groove IP when I quickly used up my minutes thinking I was using only Google Voice 2 months ago lol. Been solid since, but this was weird.

Mine does that occasionally, but not with any regularity. Usually what happens is my native dialer pops up first, then after about 1 ring, the screen switches to my GrooveIP dialer and stays there until I answer. I just chalk it up to a lot of tech going on at one time and every once in while, it gets screwed up. A similar related issue I have though is that if I want to ignore the call, it keeps ringing for what seems like forever before finally going to voicemail. I figured this is the cost of getting free talk minutes, though I'd love to find a solution. Maybe someone smarter than us (that's not to hard to find where I'm concerned) will have a definitive answer for both issues.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    ** One thing I learned: it depends on the people you call and how much static, voice-cutting-out, tinny-sound, etc they're willing to stand. Most people couldn't take more than 2-3 minutes before complaining and wanting to get off the phone.
    This is my favorite thing about using GrooveIP...I hate talking to people on the phone anyway!
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    whip it good and runtmms like this.

As someone with a T-Mobile $30/mo plan, I'd like to toss in my 2...

I use GrooVe IP a lot, and it mostly works. I'm still tinkering with the echo cancellation settings on it, but it's reasonably decent. Nevertheless, I still go through many of my 100 minutes in a month because there's times when it either glitches up or some other difficulty causes me an issue.

Here's my question to you folks who call to check your voicemail: Why are you doing it that way? You can check it visually. Just download T-Mobile's Visual VoiceMail app. I also have their My Account app so I can check on present data and minute usage.
    Thanked by 2:
    rybgood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    As someone with a T-Mobile $30/mo plan, I'd like to toss in my 2...

I use GrooVe IP a lot, and it mostly works. I'm still tinkering with the echo cancellation settings on it, but it's reasonably decent. Nevertheless, I still go through many of my 100 minutes in a month because there's times when it either glitches up or some other difficulty causes me an issue.

Here's my question to you folks who call to check your voicemail: Why are you doing it that way? You can check it visually. Just download T-Mobile's Visual VoiceMail app. I also have their My Account app so I can check on present data and minute usage.
    How's the battery usage of that app?

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    How's the battery usage of that app?
    I notice no extra battery usage at all. I unplug in the morning and plug back in around mid night with about 50 to 60% battery left...maybe 1.5 - 2 hours of screen time.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Battery consumption is fairly comparable, at least in my experiences to date. The biggest issue I have is being able to answer with GrooVe IP instead of the native phone app after a few rings. However, to be fair, GIP is better in this respect than Talkatone, because in that same scenario, the native app would keep ringing in the background while I would be talking using Talkatone. And, trying to dismiss the native app in that situation was a PITA, because sometimes the two apps would conflict, hang up the call, etc.

Battery consumption is fairly comparable, at least in my experiences to date. The biggest issue I have is being able to answer with GrooVe IP instead of the native phone app after a few rings. However, to be fair, GIP is better in this respect than Talkatone, because in that same scenario, the native app would keep ringing in the background while I would be talking using Talkatone. And, trying to dismiss the native app in that situation was a PITA, because sometimes the two apps would conflict, hang up the call, etc.
    Have you found a work around for this? Is to simply dismiss the native dialer call then answer with GrooVeIP the trick?

The phone itself is great and Google voice works seamlessly, but GrooveIP does the weirdest thing. Every time I try to answer an incoming call, it (GrooveIP) logs out of Google Voice. As soon as the call is dropped, GrooveIP logs right back in and stays solidly logged in. Tried troubleshooting, but have run out of ideas. Outgoing calls connect well.

No, I haven't found a solution to it. It becomes a very awkward situation to handle because you only have so many rings before the call eventually goes to voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by dossamosas View Post
    The phone itself is great and Google voice works seamlessly, but GrooveIP does the weirdest thing. Every time I try to answer an incoming call, it (GrooveIP) logs out of Google Voice. As soon as the call is dropped, GrooveIP logs right back in and stays solidly logged in. Tried troubleshooting, but have run out of ideas. Outgoing calls connect well.
    In your troubleshooting have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling both GV and GrooveIP? It's about all I can think of that you might not have already tried.

You guys sure have a lot of patience trying to get GrooveIP working well. I gave up on it fast, and don't regret that decision at all.

Good Luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.
    Thanked by:

It sounds like you have calls forwarded to both Google Chat and to your cell number. If you forward calls to only one location in your Google Voice account you'll only get one incoming ring. So if you forward only to Google Chat then only GrooVe IP will receive the call.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using bluetooth? Android 4.2 has a bug where if you are connected to WiFi and using bluetooth the WiFi connection will disconnect. That would cause the app to sign out and sign back in when the network connection comes back.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Mine does that occasionally, but not with any regularity. Usually what happens is my native dialer pops up first, then after about 1 ring, the screen switches to my GrooveIP dialer and stays there until I answer. I just chalk it up to a lot of tech going on at one time and every once in while, it gets screwed up. A similar related issue I have though is that if I want to ignore the call, it keeps ringing for what seems like forever before finally going to voicemail. I figured this is the cost of getting free talk minutes, though I'd love to find a solution. Maybe someone smarter than us (that's not to hard to find where I'm concerned) will have a definitive answer for both issues.
    I had Google Voice (desktop browser) forwarding calls to my carrier network #.....so that's why it was ringing both dialers intermittently. So if I answered via the stock dialer I was using my minutes even though whomever called my gVoice number. WHAT A DUMBARSE!! Haha.

Tmobile Visual Voicemail was a fantastic tip, too, Tall Mike. Thanks!

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Make sure you don't have call forwarding checked. Now that I don't, only my GIP dialer rings when my gVoice # is called.

This might be helpful for some, too.

Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G  and Groove IP-snappy.jpg
    Thanked by:
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
    In your troubleshooting have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling both GV and GrooveIP? It's about all I can think of that you might not have already tried.
    No, I hadn't done that, but thanks.
    I uninstalled Talkatone and have since been able to answer incoming calls.

To answer your other point, I guess the lure of being able to drop my monthly mobile bill to $30 is a big part of the motivation. The difference btw $30/mo and $50/mo is not huge, but to me, for now, so far - worth the hassle to see what the buzz is about and to explore and learn a few things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by snrb_labs View Post
    Are you using bluetooth? Android 4.2 has a bug where if you are connected to WiFi and using bluetooth the WiFi connection will disconnect. That would cause the app to sign out and sign back in when the network connection comes back.
    Thanks, but I think I was having problems because I still had Talkatone installed on the phone. I didn't think it was running or doing anything at all, but since I removed it and re-booted I have been able to answer calls on GVIP. No bluetooth here.

No, I hadn't done that, but thanks.
    I uninstalled Talkatone and have since been able to answer incoming calls.

To answer your other point, I guess the lure of being able to drop my monthly mobile bill to $30 is a big part of the motivation. The difference btw $30/mo and $50/mo is not huge, but to me, for now, so far - worth the hassle to see what the buzz is about and to explore and learn a few things, too.
    Glad you got it working.

I totally understand wanting to reduce the monthly recurring phone bill. I just went a different route.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    Ask me about Solavei.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Make sure you don't have call forwarding checked. Now that I don't, only my GIP dialer rings when my gVoice # is called.
    That's a pretty darned cool tip! I just changed my GV settings; it should be interesting to see how well this works out.
    ConTejas likes this.

That's a pretty darned cool tip! I just changed my GV settings; it should be interesting to see how well this works out.
    I am still testing the lite version, so I need my GV number forwarded to both for now (so I can, you know, answer calls while I am out ), but that sure sounds like the solution.

I just had one of my co-workers call me (I hadn't yet received any phone calls since adjusting the forwarding setting in GV) and it seems to work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
    I am still testing the lite version, so I need my GV number forwarded to both for now (so I can, you know, answer calls while I am out ), but that sure sounds like the solution.
    If you want you could use GrooVe Forwarder to automatically adjust your forwarding settings. When GrooVe IP or GrooVe IP Lite is signed in it can forward calls to Google Chat. When they are signed out it can be configured to forward calls to your cell number.
    Thanked by:
    Jaysus 

I've been doing this for the past 3 months now. In my opinion, it's not good at all. If you need to take calls on the road, do NOT use this plan. Internet G services are really spotty on the road, and whenever I talk to my wife on her phone while she drives is pretty much an exercise in frustration. So, we no longer do it. It's OK when you do have a strong signal or WIFI, but even then, the biggest problem is echo cancellation. I can't talk to people unless I'm using headphones so they don't hear themselves from the excessively loud ear phone on my Nexus 4. I'm not sure if this is a Nexus problem or Groove IP problem, so, YMMV on this one.

Frankly, if StraightTalk comes out with its purported new $30 prepaid plan that has 2GB internet and 1500 minute voice, I would jump ship no problem. I almost never get past 1 GB of data.

I have been happier with talkatone than groove. I had trouble getting groove to receive calls. I don't notice an echo problem with talkatone. Still, you need a good network, obviously.

Global Posts
    8,334 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

Quote Originally Posted by Juno Accardo View Post
    I've been doing this for the past 3 months now. In my opinion, it's not good at all. If you need to take calls on the road, do NOT use this plan. Internet G services are really spotty on the road, and whenever I talk to my wife on her phone while she drives is pretty much an exercise in frustration. So, we no longer do it. It's OK when you do have a strong signal or WIFI, but even then, the biggest problem is echo cancellation. I can't talk to people unless I'm using headphones so they don't hear themselves from the excessively loud ear phone on my Nexus 4. I'm not sure if this is a Nexus problem or Groove IP problem, so, YMMV on this one.

Frankly, if StraightTalk comes out with its purported new $30 prepaid plan that has 2GB internet and 1500 minute voice, I would jump ship no problem. I almost never get past 1 GB of data.

Do you have any more information about this rumored plan? I've been eying jumping onto the Tmo $30 plan but have been hesitant because of the call quality issues using GrooveIP. I've tried using various VoIP apps on Sprints 3G and LTE and found that Viber and Rebel seem to have the best performance over data for VoIP but of course viber doesn't allow you to call regular phones and Rebtel rates are good for international calls but not for domestic. Takatone seems to be similar to GrooveIP in terms of call quality which is less than mediocre. Skype is ok but I hate the app and calls to US numbers isn't free unless you get a subscription which of course defeats the whole point. Basically none of the major IM/VoIP apps seem to be the perfect choice unfortunately...

Does anyone have any experience with Sipdroid or any other SIP client? Does anyone have a recommendation for the best SIP client + SIP combo out there other than google? Are there any other SIP providers that offer unlimited or super cheap calling to USA numbers? thanks...
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w, Palm Pre
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345