Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

Has anyone tried this combination? Groove IP will let you send and receive calls through the data provider be it wifi or cellular. At $30 a month, I would never need to burn any of those 100 minutes provided in the plan.

I think I might try it out when my N4 arrives tomorrow though. $30/mo for an unlimited data plan is pretty sick!

Default Re: Q: Tmobile Monthly 4G $30 and Groove IP

I am getting the same plan but has anyone succesfully gotten it with the nexus 4 ? i heard people having problems to obtain that plan before in the past..
    Samsungian

ROM
    stock/stock, stock/stock

I think you can just get the plan through either online or at Walmart. Some T-mobile stores will actually order it for you through their computers too since it's not actually available in T-Mobile stores.

Quote Originally Posted by josegb2011 View Post
    I am getting the same plan but has anyone succesfully gotten it with the nexus 4 ? i heard people having problems to obtain that plan before in the past..
    I have yet to hear of any legitimate issues. As long as you activate online and create a new account with a brand new micro SIM, you will be able to use the $30 a month plan.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I activated the plan last week, all online, no issues at all. I use GrooVe IP as well.. Only at home on wifi tho, I've heard it can be sketchy on mobile data, depending on signal of course.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    I activated the plan last week, all online, no issues at all. I use GrooVe IP as well.. Only at home on wifi tho, I've heard it can be sketchy on mobile data, depending on signal of course.

Did you buy a sim ten while activating it online you chose the plan?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoman667 View Post
    I ordered the micro sim activation kit a week or so before I got the N4. Installed it in the phone and chose/activated the plan when I got the phone. Whole process took maybe 5 minutes.

Buy a SIM here Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly4G | T-Mobile for $0.99 with free shipping.

It will arrive in just a few days. When it does, power off your phone (hold the power button until the menu pops up then tap power off), install the new SIM card, then power the phone back on (hold the power button for about 5 seconds until phone vibrates then let go).

Now just follow the directions included with the card - basically, go to Unsupported Browser and follow the prompts.

[edit] I have no idea why it says "Unsupported Browser" in the link above. the actual link given in the activation kit is t-mobile.com/prepaidactivation [end edit]
    Thanked by:
    digitalslacker likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Buy a SIM here Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly4G | T-Mobile for $0.99 with free shipping.

It will arrive in just a few days. When it does, power off your phone (hold the power button until the menu pops up then tap power off), install the new SIM card, then power the phone back on (hold the power button for about 5 seconds until phone vibrates then let go).

Now just follow the directions included with the card - basically, go to Unsupported Browser and follow the prompts.
    I just ordered a micro-sim and it was 99 cents with free overnight shipping. Will get it tomorrow the same day as my N4.
    Recordist

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I use GrooveIP on my Galaxy Exhibit 4G, $30 plan.

I mostly use it to check my voicemail or place outgoing calls where my number doesn't matter. I've used it both on 4G and WIFI. It can be good or sketchy on either. Sometimes I get some breakup or occasional crackle.

I wouldn't use it full time, but to supplement your 100 minute allotment its a terrific tool.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    I use GrooveIP on my Galaxy Exhibit 4G, $30 plan.

I mostly use it to check my voicemail or place outgoing calls where my number doesn't matter. I've used it both on 4G and WIFI. It can be good or sketchy on either. Sometimes I get some breakup or occasional crackle.

I wouldn't use it full time, but to supplement your 100 minute allotment its a terrific tool.

With unlimited data, could you just get a number from Skype and use it for all calls? Prolly much better quality and you STILL get cheap unlimited phone service. Just put the Skype number in GV forwarding numbers list.

I will be cutting the Verizon cord come Dec 3rd, and porting my long beloved number to Google Voice; I've been using Groove IP & Google Voice for the past week with my Nexus 4 and before that on the GNex. Calls from Groove are spotty, download speeds are always faster than upload, so you will always hear callers better than they can hear you. Calls on HSPA will work ok to poor on most places; I do find myself shouting and repeating a lot, so for those instances, using the 100 minutes will come in handy.

I do get decent WiFi at home and work; home works better with calls; in & out; but for some reason I only ping less than 1megs up at work, so calls are ok, but really poor for the most part. So, I bought in-hear microphone & earphones and am taking & making calls on gmail. When I get into work, I exit my Groove App, and calls into my Google Voice gets forwarded to Gmail... pretty sweet...

Between the 100 minutes in 'emergencies', gmail & my land-line; most people shouldn't know the difference. I'll try for another few weeks, but I might try Straight Talk with unlimited minutes just to ease the hassle, but I will still keep my number on Google Voice...
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Just one warning: The coverage maps for prepaid versus post-paid plans are a little different. In particular, the post-paid plans appear to include data roaming (access to data on partner networks) while the pre-paid/pay-as-you-go plans have a "data roaming is not available" disclaimer. If you life in a larger city where T-mo is providing your actual service, you may not care. Here in Maine, it makes a BIG difference unless you stay right on the interstate AND don't go any further north than Bangor.

Yeah, it's the difference between EDGE and voice-only, but...

ROM
    Stock

With unlimited data, could you just get a number from Skype and use it for all calls? Prolly much better quality and you STILL get cheap unlimited phone service. Just put the Skype number in GV forwarding numbers list.
    Skype is still VoIP, which is dependent on the quality of your data connection. If GrooveIP is poor, I imagine Skype would be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post
    I will be cutting the Verizon cord come Dec 3rd, and porting my long beloved number to Google Voice; I've been using Groove IP & Google Voice for the past week with my Nexus 4 and before that on the GNex. Calls from Groove are spotty, download speeds are always faster than upload, so you will always hear callers better than they can hear you. Calls on HSPA will work ok to poor on most places; I do find myself shouting and repeating a lot, so for those instances, using the 100 minutes will come in handy.

I do get decent WiFi at home and work; home works better with calls; in & out; but for some reason I only ping less than 1megs up at work, so calls are ok, but really poor for the most part. So, I bought in-hear microphone & earphones and am taking & making calls on gmail. When I get into work, I exit my Groove App, and calls into my Google Voice gets forwarded to Gmail... pretty sweet...

Between the 100 minutes in 'emergencies', gmail & my land-line; most people shouldn't know the difference. I'll try for another few weeks, but I might try Straight Talk with unlimited minutes just to ease the hassle, but I will still keep my number on Google Voice...
    Just don't forget: T-Mobile plans include roaming (voice only); StraightTalk plans do not.

Also, you can buy extra minutes on T-Mobile for just $0.10 each and they roll over month-to-month. So, if your needs are in the 100 to 250 minutes per month zone, T-Mobile may still be the best way to go.
    Thanked by 2:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Just one warning: The coverage maps for prepaid versus post-paid plans are a little different. In particular, the post-paid plans appear to include data roaming (access to data on partner networks) while the pre-paid/pay-as-you-go plans have a "data roaming is not available" disclaimer. If you life in a larger city where T-mo is providing your actual service, you may not care. Here in Maine, it makes a BIG difference unless you stay right on the interstate AND don't go any further north than Bangor.

Yeah, it's the difference between EDGE and voice-only, but...
    What about the Monthly 4G plans? Same as post-paid?

ROM
    Stock

What about the Monthly 4G plans? Same as post-paid?
    No. Monthly4G falls under a "prepaid" plan. If you go to their coverage maps, there's a link above the actual map on the regular plans to "Prepaid and FlexPay coverage map", and the title on that page reads "Monthly4G and PrePaid".

Pay As You Go Coverage Map | Prepaid Coverage Zones | T-Mobile

Look carefully at that map. Anywhere you see the little slash pattern that means "partner", that means you are getting VOICE-ONLY signal there.

T-Mobile prepaid is an awesome deal, don't get me wrong! Just make sure you know precisely what you are buying. There's little point in saving money by buying a plan that doesn't give you what you need.

Of course, the nice thing about prepaid is that you can always dump it if you end up not liking it. But the only two GSM carriers that provide meaningful prepaid service are AT&T and T-Mobile. Most other prepaid providers are actually reselling services from one or the other or both. Check BOTH of their prepaid maps very carefully before buying a phone for prepaid use.

Even if you have to go postpaid, though, you're still looking at an awesome phone for not much more than the subsidized price of a similar top-shelf phone, and one that will get updates for quite a while and not get obsolete in a year like most subsidized phones.
    Thanked by 3:
    digitalslacker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Skype is still VoIP, which is dependent on the quality of your data connection. If GrooveIP is poor, I imagine Skype would be as well.
    Quality is also determined by the codex used by the VOIP company. Skype may have a better quality codex. Not sure.

Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

GrooveIP works decent. I wouldn't bank on using it as a primary calling source. I've found that Viber works well over T-Mobile 3G/4G. The hardest thing is convincing your friends to sign up for a VOIP calling service.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    Quality is also determined by the codex used by the VOIP company. Skype may have a better quality codex. Not sure.
    Yes, the codec matters - a good VoIP client does some connection quality tests and initiates an appropriate codec, but if signal speed or latency degrades mid-call it takes a really good system to adaptively switch to a lower-band codec. The assembly delay is also important (setting the delay too long leads to noticeable delays in the call, setting it too short leads to distortion and chop as the codec attempts to assemble the voice before enough of the data has arrived).

Skype may be better at that than GrooveIP, and it's worth trying out both.

But at the end of the day if your data connection can't support decent VoIP due to jitter, latency, or heavily inconsistent speed, ain't no pill gonna cure that ill.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Just don't forget: T-Mobile plans include roaming (voice only); StraightTalk plans do not.

Also, you can buy extra minutes on T-Mobile for just $0.10 each and they roll over month-to-month. So, if your needs are in the 100 to 250 minutes per month zone, T-Mobile may still be the best way to go.
    I'll have to confirm that.. from what a couple of T-Mo repts told me, once my 100-mins is up, it just stops working... Data should still work, but I'll have to reset my month if I want voice back, even if I have a few dollars on the account for overages...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DNicolasL View Post
    GrooveIP works decent. I wouldn't bank on using it as a primary calling source. I've found that Viber works well over T-Mobile 3G/4G. The hardest thing is convincing your friends to sign up for a VOIP calling service.
    Your friends shouldn't need to sign up for VoIP. I have an old Linksys PAP2 at home that I've configured with IPKall (gives you a POTS phone number and forwards it to a VoIP line for free) and a free VoIP line through a service provider I can't remember at the moment - Gizmo maybe?. The IPKAll number is set up on her Google Voice as a ring-forward, and when someone calls her she simply picks up the VoIP line if she's home, saving her cell minutes (we are on a plan with her that includes no minutes, so calling is 11 cents a minute for her on cell). When she wants to make an outbound call, she goes to Google Voice on our web browser and initiates the call from there, telling GV that she wants to use IPKall on her end. Our VoIP line rings, she picks up, and the other side starts ringing.

GrooveIP works the same way, except all on the phone itself and much more seamlessly. I just couldn't convince my wife to add a VoIP line to her phone because when it rings both the Groove and regular lines were ringing simultaneously on the phone, and that gets confusing. So we just set up a dedicated VoIP line that uses a landline handset.

i use grooveip with my nexus 4. call quality around the house is good, people complain about echo if on speaker.

3g/4g calling seems to have a 2-3 second delay.
    Recordist

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by Droidintorrance View Post
    I'll have to confirm that.. from what a couple of T-Mo repts told me, once my 100-mins is up, it just stops working... Data should still work, but I'll have to reset my month if I want voice back, even if I have a few dollars on the account for overages...
    Absolutely not true. Your service keeps on going, as long as you have money in your account to cover the 10 cents per minute overage.

In fact, last month I got to 99 minutes total for the month. When I got to 95 or so I got a message from T-Mobile when placing an outgoing call that I'd be billed 10 cents a minute for any minutes over my 100 allotment.

For all of you worried about minutes, look into Vonage Mobile app. It is VoIP that gives you 3000 free min to land lines and cellphones plus uses your mobile number as outgoing number. Basically all outgoing are free. The downside is incoming arent free. Worth it for me since my friends text or give me missed calls
    Thanked by 4:
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast