How can i transfer songs from my itunes too my Nexus 4?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Make a column in what, iTunes?

I went to where my iTunes Media is but I only see a few recently purchased songs. Then there is a folder called Previous iTunes Libraries with iTunes Database Files (.itl files).

Any thoughts on where the rest of my songs are stored?

In iTunes where you see all your music. And you know how you have all those columns like Artist, song name, length, genre, etc..? Right click at the top of those column to bring up a menu to add additional columns. I forget the name of the column because it's been changed through versions of itunes but look for something that would identify file type. And when they column appears you can sort by the various types and see the ones that are all protected. Then you'll know what tracks specifically have DRM. As far as the rest goes not sure. I typically browse everything through iTunes and have all my music in 1 folder on my computer. At this point you just need to identify the DRM tracks and the above is the easiest way because you can then select those tracks and move them to a playlist for action later.

iTunes: How to Check Which Songs Are DRM Protected

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I found my files. They were under a different user name.

So all I do is copy the ".M4P" files to a CD and then recopy them back to my computer and that removes the DRM? That sure is one terrible DRM system if it is that easy to remove.

Burn it like you're making an audio CD. Audio files don't have the codec to keep it protected. Once you burn it to the CD successfully then rip it back to itunes. It will be the same songs but different format for you to use freely. And yes it's a workaround and it's a pain if you have a lot of DRM music. If not, then pretty painless.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Burn it like you're making an audio CD. Audio files don't have the codec to keep it protected. Once you burn it to the CD successfully then rip it back to itunes. It will be the same songs but different format for you to use freely. And yes it's a workaround and it's a pain if you have a lot of DRM music. If not, then pretty painless.
I take it this is only possible if you burn an audio CD, not if you save to a flash drive, correct?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I take it this is only possible if you burn an audio CD, not if you save to a flash drive, correct?
Yes. The idea is you're converting a DRM protected song file to an audio CD format, then re-converting it. If the original DRM-protected file isn't very high resolution (192kbps, 128kbps), the resulting audio may be missing something, and the re-rip will be missing a bit too. But ... no more DRM.

Flash drive copying is simply that -- copying. Same files, same DRM locking.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
any decent free audio cd burner software out there? I have my itunes songs on an older computer and the audio CD burning software on that computer doesn't recognize m4p files as audio files. I tried downloading a nero product but it couldn't complete the installation likely due to not enough space on the hard drive to install it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
any decent free audio cd burner software out there? I have my itunes songs on an older computer and the audio CD burning software on that computer doesn't recognize m4p files as audio files. I tried downloading a nero product but it couldn't complete the installation likely due to not enough space on the hard drive to install it.

Use iTunes to burn it. Just go into the preferences and set it to audio CD and that's it. Add those songs to a playlist and burn. Instructions below.

iTunes: Music purchased from iTunes Store cannot be burned to MP3 format CD

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I use MediaMonkey to manage all my digital music, audiobooks, podcasts. Damn good program, even with bugs and faults. Including burning and ripping CDs.

Tony Brown3

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded Android File Manager to my Nexus 4 phone, the folder Music was already there, I connected my phone to my computer, and just copied all my iTunes music to my phone, it took just over 1 hour.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've just gotten done ripping all my CDs in Lion. Here's my workflow, and yes, I get that it's a pain, but I'd argue the results are 100% worth it.

Rip CD:
Let iTunes do a Gracenote query on the CD in question and do a virtual rename of files on the CD. There's no metadata stored yet, but at least the files have track numbers and names. I simply create a folder titled the name of the band, a folder inside of that titled the name of the CD, and if there's multiple CDs to this album, then folders inside that named Disc 1, Disc 2, and so on. Then, I drag the tracks off the CD to the appropriate location. This will result in AIFF files in the directory.

Acquire Album Art:
If I can find 500x500 px (or larger) album art on the Web that's of perfect quality, I'll use it. If it's above 500x500, then I make sure it's a square image and then I scale it down to 500x500 px using Gimp. Otherwise, I'll shoot the album art myself, edit it in Gimp to clean it up, crop it square, and shrink it to 500x500. In any event, I store all album art to be used as PNGs, since I do not support the use of proprietary file formats.

Metadata Insertion and Transcoding:
I use Max to allow me to batch-edit metadata, batch-add album art, and then batch-transcode my AIFFs into FLACs. In this way, I know exactly what I've got, and there are absolutely no errors or inconsistencies in my music archives. This can be a painstaking process, but since iTunes does not support FLAC, there is no useful alternative. Also, in using Max to transcode existing AIFFs, it does so ultra quickly. DO NOT use it to extract the audio from the CD, because that will be a painfully slow (30 minutes + per CD) process.

Storage:
I store all my music on a personal file server. Everything is grouped by Artist -> Album -> Disc # (if appropriate) and I typically will append the year of the release of the album to the album name. Also included at the track file level is a PNG of the album art, just in case. I always try to be prepared.

Google Play Music:
Google Play is a bunch of d*cks. They insist for God-only-knows-what-reason on storing all music as MP3s. I've tried uploading FLACs to them but it adds a bit to the delay time of having the music available. So, what I've done (since I already had the music encoded as FLAC with album art and all relevant metadata) is to take them and transcode them into 256 bit MP3s (which is the rate that Google Play Music nominally uses) and then let Google Music Manager upload the results.

Local (on-phone) Storage:
If there's any music I want to keep on the phone itself, I use Max to transcode it into good quality OGG Vorbis. As I said above, I don't advocate the use of proprietary file formats, and so I won't aid or abet such things myself.

Ultimately, is my process the quickest and easiest way of doing this? Probably not. Is my process for everyone? No; simply put, most people lack the technical knowledge, competence, and understanding to do what I do. But, I didn't devise this process based on "Is this what Joe Average computer user would understand?" I devised this process based on what works for me. All I can do is assure you the end result of my process, while laborious, will give you files of exacting quality and the open-endedness to allow you to create files of formats suitable for any situation (Max, for instance, supports 40 different open and proprietary formats, WMA being a notable exception to this). Also, if FLAC should be succeeded by a newer (and/or better) format in the future, these FLACs can presumably be re-transcoded into that successor format. If one insists, for instance, on using a device or service that only supports MP3, you can convert them for compatibility, all the while retaining non-lossy originals that can be played on better-quality equipment with no loss of fidelity.

chunnih

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: to play music from my nexus 4 using bluetooth to my car radio, it does not work

my nexus4 cell does not work for music play back, I can hear the music from my cell but once I turn on the Bluetooth I cannot hear it, anyone help

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member