Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony Huynh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who transferred from iPhone, what do you think, and any tips on easy migration?

I've got an iPhone 4S and just purchased a Nexus 4 yesterday. I was getting of the same old iOS look and feel and wanted something new. In the past, I felt that iOS was superior, but now, not so much. Now I just have to get used to a new interface. I think the only thing I will really miss is the backup/restore and find my iPhone. Yes I know that there are similar find my Android apps, but they don't seem to be as polished as the iPhone version. One last thing, I plan on moving to Straight talk (AT&T or Tmobile, I'm not sure which yet), but for now can I just pull the SIM out of my 4s and put it in the nexus 4?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Who transferred from iPhone, what do you think, and any tips on easy migration?

AT&T

Default Re: Who transferred from iPhone, what do you think, and any tips on easy migration?

I went from an iphone 4 to the nexus 4, didn't really find it tough to switch, and I'm loving the nexus.
    One thing was the lack of photo stream, but I am using Google+ instant upload and that is working really well so far.
    Oh, and no airplay, I'm waiting for someone to launch a miracast box to sub in as my apple TV.

Quote Originally Posted by ktskas View Post
    I've got an iPhone 4S and just purchased a Nexus 4 yesterday. I was getting of the same old iOS look and feel and wanted something new. In the past, I felt that iOS was superior, but now, not so much. Now I just have to get used to a new interface. I think the only thing I will really miss is the backup/restore and find my iPhone. Yes I know that there are similar find my Android apps, but they don't seem to be as polished as the iPhone version. One last thing, I plan on moving to Straight talk (AT&T or Tmobile, I'm not sure which yet), but for now can I just pull the SIM out of my 4s and put it in the nexus 4?
    Me too...4S to N4. I've been iOS since 2007, too. Went to TMO for truly" limitless data, and the fact I'm saving $70/ month on three iphones in my family plan compared to ATT.

...enjoy the process of learning a new OS, it's part of the fun!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5/Moto X

my friend ordered a nexus 4 today. he bought an iphone 5 on release date. he said he is going to sell his iphone 5

Same here, been with iPhone since the first day it launched back in 07 and paid that insane price of $599 with 2 year contract. Finally left it for the Nexus 4 a week ago and not looking back. Love this phone. I miss NOTHING about the iPhone, especially don't miss iTunes. Thank god I wont ever have to launch that thing ever again lol.
    Weishaupt likes this.

I used an iPhone 4S for a year before shifting to my n4 a couple of days ago and I'm extremely surprised to see how far android has come and how fluid and great it is to use on this device as compared to my sII before I had the iPhone. I've always known the advantages to this os but it always felt a bit clunky and inconsistent but this is so polished its fantastic !As far as migrating, I used google for my mail, contacts and calendar anyway so all it took was signing in.I have also installed drop box and box which lg users get 50GB free on I'm also using Google drive. And for my media I'm using airsync with double twist to sync my iTunes playlists and photos which happens automatically when I connect to my wifi.edit:Forgot to mention Pocket casts is a great substitue for the podcast app on iPhone.
    Last edited by cornkracker; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 AM.
    Posted from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I too made the switch for similar reasons: iOS was getting old and unimaginative on a phone (but still have my iPad 3, for which the iOSis fine.) The transition hasn't been smooth.
    1. I would have liked to have a lot of my music on the phone, but since I only have about 11GB free on the phone (in comparison, I had about 25GB of music on my 3GS), I have to get used to streaming via Google Play Music. Most of the time this is fine, but when indoors or on the road, the streaming may not be perfect, the music stutters.
    2. Syncing contacts has been a nightmare. I have about 200+ contacts on Google and about as much on OSX/iOS. A lot of them are duplicates, with Google having emails associated with the names, whereas the OSX/iOS has phone numbers. I have yet to figure out how to cleanly and efficiently sync these two groups.
    3. iBooks was a far superior book reader than whatever is on Android. First, Google's stock reader won't open epub files or allow to sideload files. You need a separate app for it. I have Aldiko, nook and kindle - all of these have their deficiencies and are less refined than iBook (and its store.) While Aldiko allows for sideloading and works with epub, there is no web or iOS equivalent app that would keep up with your reading, and its interface feels cartoonish. Nook works with epub and allows for sideloading, but your local files are not uploaded to their servers, so you can't continue your reading either on the web or on iPad (though you could do this for the purchased books). Kindle won't work with epub. iBooks had a powerful and elegant app, I was able to easily read between my iPhone and iPad, though there still isn't a web app for it.
    4. There is no equivalent of iTunes University. I know of (and use) the android app Tunesviwer - but it won't afford you the control and access you get with iOS.

With all that, I still love Android and have not regretted the change.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

I had the Google Nexus One back in the day, the device was great, pure Android, but was definitely clunky. I went to an iPhone 4 and loved the smoothness of the OS. Then got the iPhone 4s, which I've had for a year. The iOS operating system has gotten so boring! There is nothing innovative about it in recent years. Google has made huge progress since the Nexus One and I'm very very eager to get my N4 to relearn and load up my device.

The only thing that will be difficult to transition to will be the lack of built in memory. I use Google for everything so transferring everything else will be super easy. I'm a huge spotify user and commute on the subway (without internet) every day. I like to load up my device with songs so I'll have to limit that for more streaming.

I can't wait!

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lev.b View Post
    I too made the switch for similar reasons: iOS was getting old and unimaginative on a phone (but still have my iPad 3, for which the iOSis fine.) The transition hasn't been smooth.
    1. I would have liked to have a lot of my music on the phone, but since I only have about 11GB free on the phone (in comparison, I had about 25GB of music on my 3GS), I have to get used to streaming via Google Play Music. Most of the time this is fine, but when indoors or on the road, the streaming may not be perfect, the music stutters.
    2. Syncing contacts has been a nightmare. I have about 200+ contacts on Google and about as much on OSX/iOS. A lot of them are duplicates, with Google having emails associated with the names, whereas the OSX/iOS has phone numbers. I have yet to figure out how to cleanly and efficiently sync these two groups.
    3. iBooks was a far superior book reader than whatever is on Android. First, Google's stock reader won't open epub files or allow to sideload files. You need a separate app for it. I have Aldiko, nook and kindle - all of these have their deficiencies and are less refined than iBook (and its store.) While Aldiko allows for sideloading and works with epub, there is no web or iOS equivalent app that would keep up with your reading, and its interface feels cartoonish. Nook works with epub and allows for sideloading, but your local files are not uploaded to their servers, so you can't continue your reading either on the web or on iPad (though you could do this for the purchased books). Kindle won't work with epub. iBooks had a powerful and elegant app, I was able to easily read between my iPhone and iPad, though there still isn't a web app for it.
    4. There is no equivalent of iTunes University. I know of (and use) the android app Tunesviwer - but it won't afford you the control and access you get with iOS.

1. Same problem
    2. There is a Google app that can sync the contacts on your computer with a google account.
    3. The kindle reading app is way better and allows side loading.
    4. Can't speak, dont use iTunes U.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by routing View Post
    I went from an iphone 4 to the nexus 4, didn't really find it tough to switch, and I'm loving the nexus.
    One thing was the lack of photo stream, but I am using Google+ instant upload and that is working really well so far.
    Oh, and no airplay, I'm waiting for someone to launch a miracast box to sub in as my apple TV.
    I'm liking the Google+ instant upload better better than photostream. For starters, it does NOT upload screenshots which I always hated about photostream. The other thing is it does pictures and video. Sweet. I only hope that album is truly private lol.

Michael

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Huynh View Post
    Same here, been with iPhone since the first day it launched back in 07 and paid that insane price of $599 with 2 year contract. Finally left it for the Nexus 4 a week ago and not looking back. Love this phone. I miss NOTHING about the iPhone, especially don't miss iTunes. Thank god I wont ever have to launch that thing ever again lol.
    Another me too on that.... started with the original iPhone. Jailbroke it within weeks of getting. Try that now with a new iPhone and it ain't happening.

Kept following up with another iPhone up to the 4S last year, which I felt was just an OK update. Had been hoping last year that the remored teardrop iPhone 5 was going to be it instead. Nope. Figured Apple would really wow me when they did come out with the iPhone 5 this year. This time I hoped the rumors about the iPhone 5 being just a longer version of the 4S--yes lighter and thinner too--were wrong. Alas, that was what the iPhone 5 turned out to be. At that point I just said no.

Loving the play store a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. Besides more apps than I expected it is better designed than the Apple app store in my opinion. Heck the Apple app store has gone backwards in functionality as far as I'm concerned. It's bad enough Apple is slow to add features but to make existing stuff worse is downright insulting. The app store was better on iOS 3.x than it is in 6.x. Ugh.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by routing View Post
    Amazon.com: Netgear PTV3000-100NAS Push2TV: Electronics

This is from an android user since the G1
    1) In the Play Music settings there's a option to cache the last songs you listened to. I live in a apartment building and it doesn't matter if i'm in the elevator, hallways, etc, the songs keep playing flawlessly. Anyway, if you want, you can select a album, for example, and ask your device to keep them offline.
    2) Try fixing your contacts using gmail on your desktop computer. It's easier, faster, and all modifications will be reflected onto your device
    3) Use Kindle app, like Exergy said.
    4) Who needs iTunes? That's the worst way to buy mp3s. You don't want to buy songs knowing that they are not yours to keep. There should be a way to extract mp3s from iTunes, upload them all to google music and start buying mp3s where you can download them so you can use them any way you want.

Please, let me know if i'm wrong about iTunes. =)

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I made the switch from the iPhone 4 that I've had for 2 years. The biggest improvement for me is the screen size. I didn't think I needed a bigger screen and thought I may not like it, but I absolutely love it, still easily fits in my pocket and can use it with one hand for the most part. I still have the iPhone and picking that up now feels so tiny and I can't believe I used to use that for browsing and watching videos. It would be very hard at this point to go back down to a smaller screen. My wife has the iPhone 5 and it looks like a pencil compared to this phone.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cesar Luiz View Post
    This is from an android user since the G1
    1) In the Play Music settings there's a option to cache the last songs you listened to. I live in a apartment building and it doesn't matter if i'm in the elevator, hallways, etc, the songs keep playing flawlessly. Anyway, if you want, you can select a album, for example, and ask your device to keep them offline.
    2) Try fixing your contacts using gmail on your desktop computer. It's easier, faster, and all modifications will be reflected onto your device
    3) Use Kindle app, like Exergy said.
    4) Who needs iTunes? That's the worst way to buy mp3s. You don't want to buy songs knowing that they are not yours to keep. There should be a way to extract mp3s from iTunes, upload them all to google music and start buying mp3s where you can download them so you can use them any way you want.

Please, let me know if i'm wrong about iTunes. =)
    I appreciate the response.

1. The issue I raised dealt more with the capacity of the phone, and not about ability to download or cache music. Regardless how you cache it, if one has only 11GB of space to work with, it's not gonna be enough.
    2. I have fixed my gmail contacts but once you sync it, you still have to work on the duplicates, which often means editing dozens and dozens of contacts. Mac OS X's Address Book app does allow for syncing with google, but the problem still exists: currently, my OS X asks me to "resolve conflicts" with more than 230 contacts between what I have on my laptop and what's on gmail. This is a lot of work.
    3. We could discuss the aesthetics of Kindle App vs. iBook, but Kindle does NOT work with epub, the format used by most sideloaded ebooks.
    4. I was referring to iTunes University -- a separate app in iOS to view and download hundreds of high-quality lectures and classes, including accompanying problem-sets, lecture notes, etc.

I appreciate the response.

1. The issue I raised dealt more with the capacity of the phone, and not about ability to download or cache music. Regardless how you cache it, if one has only 11GB of space to work with, it's not gonna be enough.
    2. I have fixed my gmail contacts but once you sync it, you still have to work on the duplicates, which often means editing dozens and dozens of contacts. Mac OS X's Address Book app does allow for syncing with google, but the problem still exists: currently, my OS X asks me to "resolve conflicts" with more than 230 contacts between what I have on my laptop and what's on gmail. This is a lot of work.
    3. We could discuss the aesthetics of Kindle App vs. iBook, but Kindle does NOT work with epub, the format used by most sideloaded ebooks.
    4. I was referring to iTunes University -- a separate app in iOS to view and download hundreds of high-quality lectures and classes, including accompanying problem-sets, lecture notes, etc.
    As I said before, I'm an android user.. lol...
    Well, the nexus is made for the cloud. Having a low storage space is either good and bad. It forces you to use more of the cloud, and for me it's working well (Google Music, Drive, Instant Upload, etc) but you'll have to backup all pictures and videos from time to time.

Regarding the iTunes University, I didn't know that, but there's probably an alternative for it in the play store. If not, there will be..

Maybe the kindle app doesn't allow for side loading ebooks, but I think Aldiko does, and it's a great ebook reader!

Another thing is that you can fix the duplicates by merging them. Select the contact, press menu and edit, then press menu and then Join.. It will show you a list of your contacts. Just select the one you want to merge with and that's it. You can fix 200 contacts in about 30 minutes.

Hope this will help =)

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

I think your issues is trying to sync contacts when they already exist (well, duh).

Here is what I did before my Nexus arrived, and ended up with no duplicates and was good to go right after signing on to Google when it arrived:

1. Wiped the few contacts I had at google.com/contacts (there weren't many as it was not syncing to anything).
    2. Exported my contacts from Contacts app on my mac as one big vcf file.
    3. Turned off iCloud syncing for Contacts on my mac.
    4. Deleted all local contacts on the mac--backed up first.
    5. Went to google.com/contacts and imported the vcf that was exported from Contacts on mac. At that point I had the exact same number of contacts that were on my mac before I purged them.
    6. Back on my mac I added contact syncing for Gmail exchange. (The account was already there for email I had not been syncing contacts or calendar.) At that point my mac synced all the contacts from Google and I had the same number as I had when syncing with iCloud. It auto-syncs I don't have to trigger it from the menu bar sync icon--like I believe I would if I merely checked off "Synchronize with Google" in Contacts prefs for On My Mac contacts.
    7. On my Nexus 4 I didn't have to do anything other than sign in.

I did something similar for calendar. On my iPad I turned off iCloud syncing and purged all contacts then added them back via gmail setup for exchange. Actually I did that for my iPhone too before Nexus arrived as I was obviously still using it. But I was good to go when the Nexus 4 arrived.

Michael

I have been doing the mobilennations world tour since the screen broke on my BB9900. Had a 4s and now recently the iphone 5...just got my nexus 4 yesterday so glad to be back on Android! One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is all the people that used imessage to get ahold of me no longer can? No idea how to get rid of others phones thinking my phone is an iphone? Any suggestions?

They are miracast pre compliant device. so be careful with that before you buy. it wont do screen sharing.

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
    I think your issues is trying to sync contacts when they already exist (well, duh).

Here is what I did before my Nexus arrived, and ended up with no duplicates and was good to go right after signing on to Google when it arrived:

1. Wiped the few contacts I had at google.com/contacts (there weren't many as it was not syncing to anything).
    2. Exported my contacts from Contacts app on my mac as one big vcf file.
    3. Turned off iCloud syncing for Contacts on my mac.
    4. Deleted all local contacts on the mac--backed up first.
    5. Went to google.com/contacts and imported the vcf that was exported from Contacts on mac. At that point I had the exact same number of contacts that were on my mac before I purged them.
    6. Back on my mac I added contact syncing for Gmail exchange. (The account was already there for email I had not been syncing contacts or calendar.) At that point my mac synced all the contacts from Google and I had the same number as I had when syncing with iCloud. It auto-syncs I don't have to trigger it from the menu bar sync icon--like I believe I would if I merely checked off "Synchronize with Google" in Contacts prefs for On My Mac contacts.
    7. On my Nexus 4 I didn't have to do anything other than sign in.

I did something similar for calendar. On my iPad I turned off iCloud syncing and purged all contacts then added them back via gmail setup for exchange. Actually I did that for my iPhone too before Nexus arrived as I was obviously still using it. But I was good to go when the Nexus 4 arrived.

Michael
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Michael. I too have come to the conclusion that exporting from my Mac and importing to Google contacts is the way to go. Howerver, unlike your situation I have more than 200 google contacts, so I can't wipe them out

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Michael. I too have come to the conclusion that exporting from my Mac and importing to Google contacts is the way to go. Howerver, unlike your situation I have more than 200 google contacts, so I can't wipe them out
    No problem. Then I would simply export them as vCard from Google, import into Contacts on the mac, and then do everything I outlined above.

Now if you have contacts in Google that you already have in Contacts on the mac that was a problem that had to be dealt with at some time . Only thing I can suggest there is trying to use the find duplicates option on the mac.

Michael

Recent transfer from iOS. I like the freedom android provides. One issue I am having is I cannot open videos I have that come via iOS. If I upload them to google drive I lose resolution. Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing I really miss from iOS is the Music/Podcast management.

iOS is still a bit more polished though, but Android has made A TON of strides since the last time I owned a device (MyTouch 3g).