How to Unlink Device before Receiving?

yukichi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I accidentally checked:

Link this device to my Google account. Learn more?

I do not want it such that when I first power on the device, it says "Welcome _myname_" How do I unlink it before opening up the package and starting for the first time?

yukichi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Still, I dont want it such that if I do a factory reset on my phone a year from now. The stranger I sell it to turns on the phone and sees:

"Welcome __my name___" __my email address here__

"Just enter your password!"

As much as the stranger wont know my password, I would rather they did not know how to contact me, my name, or subscribe me to some spammy list....

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Still, I dont want it such that if I do a factory reset on my phone a year from now. The stranger I sell it to turns on the phone and sees:

As much as the stranger wont know my password, I would rather they did not know how to contact me, my name, or subscribe me to some spammy list....

That's kind of the point of doing a factory reset..

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

It won't have that info on it brand new, there's no reason to believe it'll have it after a factory reset.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

yukichi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't they not even have to open up your device to get that functionality in there before they ship it? It puzzles me how factory restoring would work when before you or anyone else opens up the device, the device somehow "phones home?" to know what your credentials are?

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I accidentally checked:

Link this device to my Google account. Learn more?

I do not want it such that when I first power on the device, it says "Welcome _myname_" How do I unlink it before opening up the package and starting for the first time?

I checked this when i ordered my nexus in the first wave and when i got it my Google account was not loaded on it. That might have been because of the frenzy that was the first wave of orders.

I also did a factory reset shortly after receiving my device and out didn't load then either. YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yukichi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't ask for an answer to a question, and then tell people they are wrong when they answer it.

I was referring to wrong for the "brand new" part of the statement, not the latter portion of it. Despite factory reset working, it would be nice if I could just remove the device from my google account before I even open the box.

yukichi

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is another question. How do I know if it is linked to my account or not? Don't remember if I unchecked the box.

If you first turn on the device, it says "Hello ___yourname__" and just prompts you for a password instead of having to put in your email and password.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If I want to sell it after say a year or so.... I cant because its permanently linked to my account?

You can't remove it at this point without Google intervening (which they may be able to if you call them). However, that's a one-time deal. The Google Help Text says it will send your username to it once. A factory reset should remove that, and is a good idea if you ever wanted to sell your device.

So if you're concerned about having it on there on first powerup as per your initial question, you'll have to call Google and see if they can cancel the signal that is waiting to hit your device and initialize your username onto it. They probably can, and it will start up the very first time with no knowledge of who its new lord and master is.

If you're concerned about removing it before a resale after using it for a year (or a day), do a factory reset and it should just go back to "Welcome, unknown user, please enter your email and password". You can test this by factory-resetting it as soon as you get it out of the box, and it should immediately forget your email address, because the signal should only be sent once.