Is there a consensus about the following bugs?

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Got my N4 last night and wanted to check with you guys the following nuances that I've encountered:

1. When I'm in a call, the screen turns off and I can't access it until my call ends.

I installed a BSE shield, could this be the issue?

2. Noticed last night that the screen wouldn't turn off the screen after 15 segs.

Could it be a simple setting that I've missed?

3. Call quality. Even using a headset, I get some distortion unless I really turn down the volume.

I've read people have this problem.

-----

So, basically just wanted to get a clearer picture on this.

Are this issues hardware related? Software related? Should I call Google for a replacement?

The only one that REALLY bothers me right now is not been able to interact with the screen while in a call.

The other 2 I could just wait for a software fix (if they are software related).

Thanx for the input.

DavidT787

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had that problem with the screen turned off when taking or making calls. I had the SPG screen protector on and it doesn't have a cut out for the proximity sensor, and that was the problem. I took it off and it works perfect now.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the same screen problem, however, only if I'm using another application during that call. For example, if I'm on a call, and I get a text message, I will then open the message, read it, respond and go back to the call, the screen will eventually turn off and it can't be turned back on until the call ends. So I guess it happens but only in this case.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had that problem with the screen turned off when taking or making calls. I had the SPG screen protector on and it doesn't have a cut out for the proximity sensor, and that was the problem. I took it off and it works perfect now.

Yeah, I took off the front screen protector and it worked fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got my N4 last night and wanted to check with you guys the following nuances that I've encountered:

1. When I'm in a call, the screen turns off and I can't access it until my call ends.

2. Noticed last night that the screen wouldn't turn off the screen after 15 segs.

3. Call quality. Even using a headset, I get some distortion unless I really turn down the volume.

-----

Are this issues hardware related? Software related? Should I call Google for a replacement?

The only one that REALLY bothers me right now is not been able to interact with the screen while in a call.

The other 2 I could just wait for a software fix (if they are software related).

Thanx for the input.

I don't have any of these issues.

Erase your phone, reinstall the 4.2.1 update and try again.

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

-----

Thanx for the input.
I seem to have
1.When I'm in a call, the screen turns off and I can't access it until my call ends.

This is really irritating and I feel helpless when the customer service bot asks me to press an option. It seems to turn on, when I hold the phone flat, but sometimes even that fails. I have a screen protector too, don't want to remove that.

squadz

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have
1.When I'm in a call, the screen turns off and I can't access it until my call ends.

This is really irritating and I feel helpless when the customer service bot asks me to press an option. It seems to turn on, when I hold the phone flat, but sometimes even that fails. I have a screen protector too, don't want to remove that.

Move the phone away from the dark... the screen turns off to prevent you pressing buttons with your ear. Move it into the light or away from your head and you'll magically be able to do whatever you want again.

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Move the phone away from the dark... the screen turns off to prevent you pressing buttons with your ear. Move it into the light or away from your head and you'll magically be able to do whatever you want again.
Yes tried that, even when outside, that's what I meant by holding it flat, but it still wouldn't work. Like others pointed out it is probably the screen protector interfering with the sensor. I will probably have to trim it at the corner. Can't afford to remove the protector, with my two year old always wanting to play with the phone.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
It's the screen protector.

I bit the bullet and took it out and the proximity sensor started working again.

I'll wait 'till the vendors get their act together and release a screen shield with the proper cut-out for the sensor.

gomab357

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

-----

Thanx for the input.

I thought I was the only one experiencing the distortion issue. If you figure anything out, let me know...

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same thing when bringing home a brand new Razr Maxx HD from the Verizon store last weekend. The screen would not turn back on and I couldn't end the call until the other person hung up. This occurred right off with the first phone call received and each call afterwards. I did NOT have a screen protector on either. I returned the phone the next day.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I installed a BSE shield, could this be the issue? This could block the proximity sensors so try to cut a hole in the screen protector if there isn't. Check the hardness scale of the gorilla glass and the metal you'll use, if the metal is lower then you can cut it without removing the screen protector.

Could it be a simple setting that I've missed? If you didn't set it up then it wouldn't. I'm not sure myself but you may have changed the wrong setting.

I've read people have this problem. Yeah, this might be a problem. I think your device is a little faulty though or your connection is because you shouldn't get distortion using your headset (unless your headset sucks) but only reported problems was the earpiece but they sent it in for a replacement