New Nexus 4 Died

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I received my Nexus 4 today, and the 1st thing I did was unlock the bootloader using the Nexus Toolkit. That went fine. I booted it up and a notification said there were 18 or so (mostly Google) apps that needed updated. I started the updates, and after updating some of them it locked up while updating Google+. (While the updates were running I was checking out apps & settings. The notification "Unfortunately, app name has stopped..." or whatever that message says popped up. When I'd hit OK it would come up again for another app.) After waiting awhile, I pushed the power button, and it immediately rebooted, but it froze on the Jelly Bean symbol (large colored X). After waiting about 5 minutes I held the power button until it shut off. Now it will not do anything. I tried plugging it in to the PC, power adapter, unplugged, nothing! One time I did get a red blinking notification light. Otherwise nothing. Completely dead.

Did anyone else here experience this, or have any ideas as to what I can do? Thanks in advance!

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Just curious! Did you charged up the Nexus 4 or made sure that the battery is charged before you did all that?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I held the power button for a minute or more. I also tried holding the power button with volume up & volume down, together and also each separately. I think I've tried every button combination possible!

When I first booted it up & plugged it in the battery was at 82%, so I don't think that is the problem. It was plugged in to power while the updating was taking place.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Wipe and reload factory image.

Have to be able to put the device into fastboot mode. If it doesn't power up, then there is no way to do it.

I would leave the battery out for an hour or so. Then slap it back in and try to power up the device again. Hopefully that would kick it in the ass and power up.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Have to be able to put the device into fastboot mode. If it doesn't power up, then there is no way to do it.

I would leave the battery out for an hour or so. Then slap it back in and try to power up the device again. Hopefully that would kick it in the ass and power up.

I wish I could, but remember it's a Nexus 4! So what is the exact button combination to similate a battery pull?

At this point I have no way to connect to it. As far as the computer is concerned, I have a brick hooked up to it. Any ideas of what Google CS will say about a bricked device with unlocked bootloader, or won't they worry about that? Is it likely that the bootloader unlocking is involved, since it booted up fine after that and everything was normal during the unlocking, and a bit afterwards? It was during the Google apps update that it locked.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So I'm assuming you tried holding all three buttons down, volume up & down and power, all at the same time? This is the only way I know how to get into fastboot mode. I wish I knew more to help.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could, but remember it's a Nexus 4! So what is the exact button combination to similate a battery pull?

At this point I have no way to connect to it. As far as the computer is concerned, I have a brick hooked up to it. Any ideas of what Google CS will say about a bricked device with unlocked bootloader, or won't they worry about that? Is it likely that the bootloader unlocking is involved, since it booted up fine after that and everything was normal during the unlocking, and a bit afterwards? It was during the Google apps update that it locked.

My bad. I was going by past experiences. Nexus 4 doesn't have a removable battery? Mine is out for delivery so I do not know yet.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
So I'm assuming you tried holding all three buttons down, volume up & down and power, all at the same time? This is the only way I know how to get into fastboot mode. I wish I knew more to help.

Yes I've tried that. I feel kinda helpless, and I don't feel that way often since I'm an IT tech by trade (Microsoft)! But I have no clue what to do here. Any other time an Android device acted like this a battery pull took care of it. I guess I'll call CS tonight and see if I can get a warranty replacement. I already waited 2 weeks, what's another few days? Thanks everyone for your advice, and if you have any more please keep it coming!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I've tried that. I feel kinda helpless, and I don't feel that way often since I'm an IT tech by trade (Microsoft)! But I have no clue what to do here. Any other time an Android device acted like this a battery pull took care of it. I guess I'll call CS tonight and see if I can get a warranty replacement. I already waited 2 weeks, what's another few days? Thanks everyone for your advice, and if you have any more please keep it coming!

I do I.T. on the side so I know if you're into that field there may be not much more I can tell you. These smartphones are different than computers. You would think if you put some power to it something would happen, at least enough for you to get into the command promt and access the adb. Anyway, good luck.

Last edited:

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site

I didn't read it wouldn't turn on, woops. Hard to take the battery out of a nexus 4 lol

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried this?
In most cases, you are locked out from your device or it can not be touched at all. How do you manually reset your Google Nexus 4 Android smartphone to factory data settings?
If you are suffering this, please try to:
1. Power off your device.
→ If the phone screen was frozen or crashed, press and hold the POWER button for at least 12 seconds. Your phone will turn off and then turn back on.
2. Press and hold the Volume keys then press and hold the Power button (simultaneously).
3. An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
4. Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
5. Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
6. An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
7. Press the Power key and Volume Up keys simultaneously.
8. Use the Volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power key to select.
9. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power key to select.
→ It will takes you several minutes for system to complete the hard reset process. Please be patient.
10. Select Home to setup basic settings via quick start guide.

Source: http://easyreboot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pdf-guide7.pdf

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
This won't help, but I've made my evo lte appear entirely lifeless to me that the clever xda folks had tools to revive it. i'm hoping there'll be a lot of tinkering/unbricking tools for the n4 as well..

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried this?
In most cases, you are locked out from your device or it can not be touched at all. How do you manually reset your Google Nexus 4 Android smartphone to factory data settings?
If you are suffering this, please try to:
1. Power off your device.
→ If the phone screen was frozen or crashed, press and hold the POWER button for at least 12 seconds. Your phone will turn off and then turn back on.
2. Press and hold the Volume keys then press and hold the Power button (simultaneously).
3. An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
4. Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
5. Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
6. An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
7. Press the Power key and Volume Up keys simultaneously.
8. Use the Volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power key to select.
9. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power key to select.
→ It will takes you several minutes for system to complete the hard reset process. Please be patient.
10. Select Home to setup basic settings via quick start guide.

Yes, but #3 never happens unfortunately. I called Google CS, who told me to call LG. The Google CS agent said if LG can't help me resurrect the phone that I should call Google again.

The LG rep I talked to wasn't all that helpful. After troubleshooting actions didn't provide any evidence of life I was told to let the phone sit until the battery is dead. I asked how I'm supposed to know when the battery is dead, and she said it'll be when I push the power button and it doesn't turn on. :-\ Let's see, hadn't we just tried holding the power button which resulted in nothing at all happening?

I called Google back and now they're processing an RMA for me. The agent said that my phone will be inspected, and if it is indeed dead they will send me another one. If they determine that it doesn't work because of user error, it will be returned and I will be charged postage. I assume for that to happen it would have to show at least some sign of life, which it doesn't.

emuneee

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a very similar issue with my Nexus 4. I pulled it out of the box today (just delivered) and it would cut off once it got past the Google logo during. I did manage to get into Android a few times, but it would cut off randomly. I would try to go into fastboot, but it would cut off again...randomly. The battery was between 70 and 80%.

I called Google and the CSR was as dumbfounded as I was. I guess I got a lemon, but I have a replacement unit in processing and hopefully on the way soon. It seems like the power components had some sort of issue. Stuck power button / circuit / bad battery. Too bad its not replaceable.

I did manage to unlock the boot loader and relock once I realized I'd be sending it back. I would try and reflash a stock image, but I don't trust the phone not to cut off during the process.

I am tempted to hold onto my Galaxy Nexus a bit longer. That last two weeks dealing with the Nexus 4 have been annoying.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but #3 never happens unfortunately. I called Google CS, who told me to call LG. The Google CS agent said if LG can't help me resurrect the phone that I should call Google again.

The LG rep I talked to wasn't all that helpful. After troubleshooting actions didn't provide any evidence of life I was told to let the phone sit until the battery is dead. I asked how I'm supposed to know when the battery is dead, and she said it'll be when I push the power button and it doesn't turn on. :-\ Let's see, hadn't we just tried holding the power button which resulted in nothing at all happening?

I called Google back and now they're processing an RMA for me. The agent said that my phone will be inspected, and if it is indeed dead they will send me another one. If they determine that it doesn't work because of user error, it will be returned and I will be charged postage. I assume for that to happen it would have to show at least some sign of life, which it doesn't.

Hopefully everything goes through without a problem. Keep us updated.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking the Bootloader went without a hitch for me, I read the instructions dozens of times before attempting and throughout the process. I'm sorry this happened to you and, yes, I'd appreciate you're keeping us updated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish