Nexus 4: Need NFC help.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to send pics and other stuff between my nexus 4 and my wife's gs3. When I try to send something from her gs3 to my n4 it takes me to the play store and says item not found. When I try to send something from my n4 to her gs3, nothing happens. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need NFC help.

I've been trying to send pics and other stuff between my nexus 4 and my wife's gs3. When I try to send something from her gs3 to my n4 it takes me to the play store and says item not found. When I try to send something from my n4 to her gs3, nothing happens. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Oops! I mis-read the question.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Ya I can't send anything via Android beam to my girlfriends HTC One X either. The NFC works but nothing happens after touching the screen.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Probably because its different hardware..? Anyone know for sure? Does Android beam only work with two of the same device(N4 to N4, etc)?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

In another forum, I read that NFC transfers actually take place over a Bluetooth connection. It seems this requires that both devices have Bluetooth turned on.

Have you guys tried that?

Jeprokz

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

From what I know and figured out on my own. The GS3 uses DLNA to transfer files between each other while the Nexus line uses bluetooth for files like pictures and videos. That is the reason you can't NFC between the two. The other thing you have to know is that the GS3 is still running an earlier JB version where you weren't able to NFC pic/videos. You have to wait for GS3 to get the 4.1+ JB update where they allow for NFC to transfer pic/videos. NFC will make a connection between the two phones through bluetooth even if your bluetooth is off. The reason is because it will turn it on temporarily to transfer the file then turn it back off if it was previously off. This is from what I know of please correct me if i'm wrong.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

What I read is that NFC is used only to establish the connection, but that the actual transfers take place over bluetooth.

In fact, right here: Jelly Bean feature: Sending photos and videos over Android Beam | Android Central

In Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, Android Beam -- that's the NFC-based device-to-device transfer service -- has been augmented to support sending photo and video content. This is done from within the Gallery app, and can be activated by holding two NFC (Near-Field Communication)-supporting Jelly Bean devices back-to-back while one has an image or video open. Then, when prompted, tap the screen to send, just like earlier Android Beam incarnations. File transfers themselves are handled by Bluetooth, so depending on your device's Bluetooth version support, your transfer speeds may vary.

I think the sending phone is smart enough to turn on its own Bluetooth transceiver, but it is not clear if the receiving phone will do so. I did read that pairing is automatic so the devices do not need to have been previously paired.

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

At least one person in my family is getting a RAZR M (with 4.1) So I can test one of the theories when it arrives.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Samsung/HTC messed up android beam gs3 uses galaxy beam and idk what HTC uses

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Her GS3 is still running ICS and when you turn S BEAM off, it says that you have to have it on. I was really looking forward to using android beam because I gave my wife a 16 gig SD card out of my old phone right before I got my N4.

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Her GS3 is still running ICS and when you turn S BEAM off, it says that you have to have it on. I was really looking forward to using android beam because I gave my wife a 16 gig SD card out of my old phone right before I got my N4.

You can turn off s beam then turn on android beam, they are two separate things. However, ICS doesn't support transferring pics or videos through android beam. That feature came with jelly bean.

alc2077

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Make sure when trying to send pics via NFC that you do it via the native picture gallary app that came pre-installed on the phone and not from a 3rd party pic gallery app. This may help, at least that worked for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007