Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Default Re: LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    post a screenshot with your cracked nexus 4 + logged in on your PC with this account. side by side
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Mothers last name and ss number too?

Does it matter? Glass cracks and the n4 is glass

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Yes it matter because the cracking the poster claim was without dropping it. it cracked by itself due to heat/cold. which is hard to believe and none what so ever have any proof that this is happening. also i dont believe a poster with just 8 post and joined last month.

if it has cracked by dropping then its a different story. there are cases of that and proof.
    Last edited by still1; 12-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.

IF this phone some how reached 70 degrees Celsius, I could believe the self cracking but that would be extremely rare. There is the chance if SOMEHOW it managed to get as hot as a hot glass that cracks on granite, sure but... how unlikely would it be for a phone to get that hot?
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Quote Originally Posted by AnGeor View Post
    ?
    see my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    IF this phone some how reached 70 degrees Celsius, I could believe the self cracking but that would be extremely rare. There is the chance if SOMEHOW it managed to get as hot as a hot glass that cracks on granite, sure but... how unlikely would it be for a phone to get that hot?
    yup, i agree.. also nexus will underclock and shutdown itself if the temperate reach a certain point unless it exposed to external heat source.
    the poster mentioned it cracked when having a smoke on the pocket which is even hard to believe.
    let the posted post a screenshot with it I would consider it a troll.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

The electronics will, the glass wont

I think a lot of folks with intact N4's aren't really understanding the situation. My phone is perfect but it's obvious that this is a relatively common complaint from people, and it's not really because "lol well glass breaks and water is wet" because the iPhone 4 for example had a glass setup too and this problem didn't seem as common at all. People cracked theirs, and now we're supposed to take into account temperature conditions before deciding where it's safe to put the phone? Not only that, the iPhone's glass went all the way to the edge, this one has a nice border around it.

Phones are really sensitive, maybe it's some maybe it's all but this isn't anything to discredit, because if yours broke because the god damn table was too cold you'd be pissed as well.

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FYourProblems View Post
    I think a lot of folks with intact N4's aren't really understanding the situation. My phone is perfect but it's obvious that this is a relatively common complaint from people, and it's not really because "lol well glass breaks and water is wet" because the iPhone 4 for example had a glass setup too and this problem didn't seem as common at all. People cracked theirs, and now we're supposed to take into account temperature conditions before deciding where it's safe to put the phone? Not only that, the iPhone's glass went all the way to the edge, this one has a nice border around it.

Phones are really sensitive, maybe it's some maybe it's all but this isn't anything to discredit, because if yours broke because the god damn table was too cold you'd be pissed as well.
    The iPhone 4 complaints about the glass back cracking weren't common? Umm, yes they were. There were tons of complaints. But it came down to the same thing. Glass doesn't crack itself, and some form of user error was always involved - even if it's the fact that you can't toss around a glass back phone the same way you can a phone with a plastic back cover. At least, not without a case. Either take care of it - call it sensitive if you want - or you crack it.

Look, when people bought their Nexus 4's, they knew full well that it has a glass back. There were concerns about that - warranted, I'd say - even before its release. Everyone who bought one chose to take that risk. Now they are complaining that it cracks. If users aren't willing to either (a) be careful with the back, or (b) protect it with a cover/case, or (c) deal with a cracked back, the Nexus 4 isn't for those users.

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    The iPhone 4 complaints about the glass back cracking weren't common? Umm, yes they were. There were tons of complaints. But it came down to the same thing. Glass doesn't crack itself, and some form of user error was always involved - even if it's the fact that you can't toss around a glass back phone the same way you can a phone with a plastic back cover. At least, not without a case. Either take care of it - call it sensitive if you want - or you crack it.

Look, when people bought their Nexus 4's, they knew full well that it has a glass back. There were concerns about that - warranted, I'd say - even before its release. Everyone who bought one chose to take that risk. Now they are complaining that it cracks. If users aren't willing to either (a) be careful with the back, or (b) protect it with a cover/case, or (c) deal with a cracked back, the Nexus 4 isn't for those users.
    Okay, but I've never ever heard of a temperature differences cracking iPhones. At the very least the glass is weaker than the iPhone's.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I've had mine since release. It's sitting naked on its wireless charger with not even a scuff. I don't have a case for it. Hell, I don't even have a screen protector on it any more. How some of you are allegedly cracking the back & getting scratches "magically" is beyond me.

Glass doesn't magically get scratched or cracked. Something caused it. Backtrack and figure out what.

Also, pics or if didn't happen. Too many iPhone and Samsung trolls lurking these boards and posting rubbish to take some of these claims seriously without a pic...

Sent from my Nexus 7

My car was parked outside in 36 degree weather today for about 2 1/2 hours. My phone was in the car charging the whole time. When I took it out it was very cold, and I placed it in my pocket where it warmed up very quickly. Yet the glass didn't break. I've set it down on my living room table which has slate tiles that get pretty cold, and the glass hasn't broke. When I got the phone, I removed it from the shipping container, and while it was in the factory packaging it dropped off the counter top and hit my hard kitchen floor. Maybe a 4 foot drop. Didn't hurt it at all. Obviously, the box protected it a bit, but it isn't really designed to do that.

My point is that if my phone can sit in a nearly freezing car and get dropped off a counter top with minimal protection and survive, you can see why I find the stories of spontaneous cracking hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Granite gets pretty cold, my old house granite probably good 6cm thick (about 4 Nexus's) and on a 40 degree Celsius day it was still relatively cold presuming most of it was in the shade.
    My current granite about 2cm is pretty cold, but not as cold but if a glass or plate is hot and placed on it, I will expect it to crack very quickly.
    A glass or plate that is hot that cracks has presumably been in a microwave, or oven, or been on a stove in which case it is WAY hotter than any phone will get.
    Blendercloud likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is also one of those things that I'm pretty sure LG would test...
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Yea, only 6 posts... BB user before... here are some pics

I know what happened, I got it's hard to believe, and if someone told me that I'll be suspicious, but it happened...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing-ds8_1929.jpg   LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing-ds8_1931.jpg   LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing-ds8_1932.jpg   LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing-ds8_1934.jpg  

Not to be the devils advocate, but all that proves is you broke it, not how. We need someone to sacrifice a Nexus to science and get accurate temperature reads and see what it take to crack the back with temperature changes/differentials.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    So you are volunteering?

You would think with all these kids that do drop tests someone would have put this phone to some sort of temperature test by now.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't know why people are referring to granite countertops as "cold". While they may feel cool and resist or are slow to reach a new temperature, they will be for the most part "room temperature". Granite countertops don't contain magic cooling coils. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    Blendercloud likes this.

...if I had a quarter for every iPhone/iPod screen that I've seen while riding trains that looked smashed.

It's like the phenomenon of accidents involving [the almost overnight popularity of] texting and moving vehicles, there seems to be a steep, society-wide learning curve when going from flip phones to touchscreen smartphones.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
    Thanked by:
    KitN 

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar_Junkie View Post
    I don't know why people are referring to granite countertops as "cold". While they may feel cool and resist or are slow to reach a new temperature, they will be for the most part "room temperature". Granite countertops don't contain magic cooling coils. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Actually, what you just described is the exact reason why glass can crack when set on granite, especially the phone is heated. The reason granite is "slow to reach a new temperature" is that it has a high specific heat, meaning that it needs to absorb more heat in order to reach a higher temperature than most objects. So when a warm piece of glass is put on a cold granite top, it draws the heat from the glass quickly, and since glass is a bad conductor of heat, the bottom surface (surface in contact with the granite) cools down faster than the surface not in contact, contracting the bottom surface faster than the other surface, which causes the crack. You can think of it as a magic coil, but it's actually simple science.
    Thanked by:
    msndrstood likes this.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by FYourProblems View Post

We don't know how much environmental factors are an issue, that's the problem. People are claiming their Nexus 4 "just broke" without any kind of outside force such as dropping the phone. How many of these are true defects, and how many are just made-up claims for whatever reason? Personally I feel the chance of the Nexus breaking due to temperature variation would be very small; heck, some reviewers in order to overcome the heat throttling in testing. If the N4 really was susceptible to such things, you would think someone would have noticed given such extreme testing.

Obviously something cracked these Nexi; eliminating reasons is just good practice. However, I also agree that anyone who bought one went in with full knowledge that the phone is made of glass, and needs to always be mindful of that. Reports of breakage therefore are really nothing new. Unless I can see more solid proof of cracking outside of phone violence, I'll continue to believe that the Nexus is no more fragile than the iPhone 4/4s.

Edit: forgot to add that a couple Google searches failed to reveal any solid evidence of glass breaking or cracking after being set on a cold granite counter top. Everything I did find had to do with dropping or knocking glassware over, and nothing with simply setting it down and having it crack. Could it happen? I think it's within the realm of possibility, but I'm thinking "freak accident" more than "regular occurrence."
    Last edited by Citizen Coyote; 12-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 

If it helps I used mine quite extensively in thick falling snow in Canada last week and it hasn't cracked.

Now it's back in the UK and still hasn't cracked.

This has happened to me. Never dropped it. Treated it very carefully as I heard about the scratch issues. One night I just looked at the back and a solid what looks like crack across the back. No what I would consider extreme temperature changes for the phone. Mystery

LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing-photo.jpg
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Actually, what you just described is the exact reason why glass can crack when set on granite, especially the phone is heated. The reason granite is "slow to reach a new temperature" is that it has a high specific heat, meaning that it needs to absorb more heat in order to reach a higher temperature than most objects. So when a warm piece of glass is put on a cold granite top, it draws the heat from the glass quickly, and since glass is a bad conductor of heat, the bottom surface (surface in contact with the granite) cools down faster than the surface not in contact, contracting the bottom surface faster than the other surface, which causes the crack. You can think of it as a magic coil, but it's actually simple science.
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about applies to laminated glass, i.e. glass made of two panes bonded together, and not a single thin pane of glass. If that's what you're saying, then almost every piece of glass that separates a warm area from the cold outside would crack, since the temperature difference is substantial (for example, right now it's 72 degrees in my shop, but 30 outside).

Also, I've seen this type of thing happen with car windshields, but that was much more extreme temp differences, and using a heat gun (I tint windows) then applying pressure to the "cold" side.

So the theory of temperature change doesn't make much sense to me when we're talking about a single thin pane of glass that can change temps relatively quickly, and isn't going from 150+ to 40 degrees.

A much more likely cause would be some sort of stress fracture. There's no point of impact, so it's not necessarily from a drop, either.

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that what you're talking about applies to laminated glass, i.e. glass made of two panes bonded together, and not a single thin pane of glass. If that's what you're saying, then almost every piece of glass that separates a warm area from the cold outside would crack, since the temperature difference is substantial (for example, right now it's 72 degrees in my shop, but 30 outside).

Also, I've seen this type of thing happen with car windshields, but that was much more extreme temp differences, and using a heat gun (I tint windows) then applying pressure to the "cold" side.
    Two key differences: first, air is not granite. Air doesn't draw heat from objects in contact nearly as fast as granite. The glass panes have much more time to transfer the heat between inside and outside panels. It's not just about a temperature differential, it's also about specific heat, or how fast heat is transfered.

Second, two pieces of glass bonded together as pane actually prevents cracking from temperature changes. The double pane captures a small packet of air in between, which further slows heat transfers. And the 2 pieces of glass are not really affecting each other's differential in the surfaces.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Two key differences: first, air is not granite. Air doesn't draw heat from objects in contact nearly as fast as granite. The glass panes have much more time to transfer the heat between inside and outside panels. It's not just about a temperature differential, it's also about specific heat, or how fast heat is transfered.

Second, two pieces of glass bonded together as pane actually prevents cracking from temperature changes. The double pane captures a small packet of air in between, which further slows heat transfers. And the 2 pieces of glass are not really affecting each other's differential in the surfaces.

I'm talking about two panes of glass that are bonded together, not separated by an air gap. Phone glass is more like automotive glass than it is residential glass. You know what I did do, though? I took my One X with it's really hot display (it's been sitting in the sun) and placed it flat on the concrete floor of the shop (in the shade, considerably colder) and guess what? It didn't crack. And before anyone worries, I made sure it was clean and free of debris, and lifted straight up and down to prevent scratches.

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I'm talking about two panes of glass that are bonded together, not separated by an air gap. Phone glass is more like automotive glass than it is residential glass. You know what I did do, though? I took my One X with it's really hot display (it's been sitting in the sun) and placed it flat on the concrete floor of the shop (in the shade, considerably colder) and guess what? It didn't crack. And before anyone worries, I made sure it was clean and free of debris, and lifted straight up and down to prevent scratches.
    What type of glass does the One X have on the display? Remember that we're dealing with the N4's back glass, which isn't Gorilla glass 2, like the front. Let's not go and compare apples to oranges here. Also sitting in the sun does not make a phone as hot as high intensity usage. You also can't replicate the exact conditions, which depend on temperature differentials as well as how long a phone was set down on a granite surface.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What type of glass does the One X have on the display? Remember that we're dealing with the N4's back glass, which isn't Gorilla glass 2, like the front. Let's not go and compare apples to oranges here. Also sitting in the sun does not make a phone as hot as high intensity usage. You also can't replicate the exact conditions, which depend on temperature differentials as well as how long a phone was set down on a granite surface.

Splitting hairs you are now. Original Gorilla Glass. So would you like me to do this with a regular pane of glass then? Cuz I can. And the result will be the same. I guarantee it. I'll heat it up to the point it's too hot to touch with bare hands and then put it straight on the concrete. That would be more extreme than anything a phone goes through right?

And yes, sitting in the sun will most certainly raise it to normal operating temperatures. I've been given the heat warning on the screen just by turning the screen on after it's sitting in the sun.
    palitsyn likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast