LG Nexus 4 Experiencing Cracking Problems Due to Glass Backing

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying to activate the cracked back feature, but after quite a few drops, the back is still intact, perhaps an OTA will fix this.

AnGeor

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you check the back before/after the first email arrived and made sure there wasn't a crack? Isn't it possible that something caused the crack long before you went for a smoke but you didn't notice it till later?

No one is claiming they know what happened to your phone better than you. But glass does not just crack or break spontaneously. There has to be a better explanation than "I put it in my pocket and it magically shattered."

I'm 100% sure it wasn't cracked before, because now I can feel the crack..

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How cold was the counter top? Not very.

I still say it's nonsense. Some of you people will believe anything.

Granite gets pretty cold, my old house granite probably good 6cm thick (about 4 Nexus's) and on a 40 degree Celsius day it was still relatively cold presuming most of it was in the shade.
My current granite about 2cm is pretty cold, but not as cold but if a glass or plate is hot and placed on it, I will expect it to crack very quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

How cold was the counter top? Not very.

I still say it's nonsense. Some of you people will believe anything.

Granite gets pretty cold, my old house granite probably good 6cm thick (about 4 Nexus's) and on a 40 degree Celsius day it was still relatively cold presuming most of it was in the shade.
My current granite about 2cm is pretty cold, but not as cold but if a glass or plate is hot and placed on it, I will expect it to crack very quickly.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Mothers last name and ss number too?

Does it matter? Glass cracks and the n4 is glass

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
Yes it matter because the cracking the poster claim was without dropping it. it cracked by itself due to heat/cold. which is hard to believe and none what so ever have any proof that this is happening. also i dont believe a poster with just 8 post and joined last month.

if it has cracked by dropping then its a different story. there are cases of that and proof.

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
IF this phone some how reached 70 degrees Celsius, I could believe the self cracking but that would be extremely rare. There is the chance if SOMEHOW it managed to get as hot as a hot glass that cracks on granite, sure but... how unlikely would it be for a phone to get that hot?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
see my post above.

IF this phone some how reached 70 degrees Celsius, I could believe the self cracking but that would be extremely rare. There is the chance if SOMEHOW it managed to get as hot as a hot glass that cracks on granite, sure but... how unlikely would it be for a phone to get that hot?
yup, i agree.. also nexus will underclock and shutdown itself if the temperate reach a certain point unless it exposed to external heat source.
the poster mentioned it cracked when having a smoke on the pocket which is even hard to believe.
let the posted post a screenshot with it I would consider it a troll.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of folks with intact N4's aren't really understanding the situation. My phone is perfect but it's obvious that this is a relatively common complaint from people, and it's not really because "lol well glass breaks and water is wet" because the iPhone 4 for example had a glass setup too and this problem didn't seem as common at all. People cracked theirs, and now we're supposed to take into account temperature conditions before deciding where it's safe to put the phone? Not only that, the iPhone's glass went all the way to the edge, this one has a nice border around it.

Phones are really sensitive, maybe it's some maybe it's all but this isn't anything to discredit, because if yours broke because the god damn table was too cold you'd be pissed as well.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I think a lot of folks with intact N4's aren't really understanding the situation. My phone is perfect but it's obvious that this is a relatively common complaint from people, and it's not really because "lol well glass breaks and water is wet" because the iPhone 4 for example had a glass setup too and this problem didn't seem as common at all. People cracked theirs, and now we're supposed to take into account temperature conditions before deciding where it's safe to put the phone? Not only that, the iPhone's glass went all the way to the edge, this one has a nice border around it.

Phones are really sensitive, maybe it's some maybe it's all but this isn't anything to discredit, because if yours broke because the god damn table was too cold you'd be pissed as well.
The iPhone 4 complaints about the glass back cracking weren't common? Umm, yes they were. There were tons of complaints. But it came down to the same thing. Glass doesn't crack itself, and some form of user error was always involved - even if it's the fact that you can't toss around a glass back phone the same way you can a phone with a plastic back cover. At least, not without a case. Either take care of it - call it sensitive if you want - or you crack it.

Look, when people bought their Nexus 4's, they knew full well that it has a glass back. There were concerns about that - warranted, I'd say - even before its release. Everyone who bought one chose to take that risk. Now they are complaining that it cracks. If users aren't willing to either (a) be careful with the back, or (b) protect it with a cover/case, or (c) deal with a cracked back, the Nexus 4 isn't for those users.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 4 complaints about the glass back cracking weren't common? Umm, yes they were. There were tons of complaints. But it came down to the same thing. Glass doesn't crack itself, and some form of user error was always involved - even if it's the fact that you can't toss around a glass back phone the same way you can a phone with a plastic back cover. At least, not without a case. Either take care of it - call it sensitive if you want - or you crack it.

Look, when people bought their Nexus 4's, they knew full well that it has a glass back. There were concerns about that - warranted, I'd say - even before its release. Everyone who bought one chose to take that risk. Now they are complaining that it cracks. If users aren't willing to either (a) be careful with the back, or (b) protect it with a cover/case, or (c) deal with a cracked back, the Nexus 4 isn't for those users.

Okay, but I've never ever heard of a temperature differences cracking iPhones. At the very least the glass is weaker than the iPhone's.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since release. It's sitting naked on its wireless charger with not even a scuff. I don't have a case for it. Hell, I don't even have a screen protector on it any more. How some of you are allegedly cracking the back & getting scratches "magically" is beyond me. :confused:

Glass doesn't magically get scratched or cracked. Something caused it. Backtrack and figure out what.

Also, pics or if didn't happen. Too many iPhone and Samsung trolls lurking these boards and posting rubbish to take some of these claims seriously without a pic...

Sent from my Nexus 7

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My car was parked outside in 36 degree weather today for about 2 1/2 hours. My phone was in the car charging the whole time. When I took it out it was very cold, and I placed it in my pocket where it warmed up very quickly. Yet the glass didn't break. I've set it down on my living room table which has slate tiles that get pretty cold, and the glass hasn't broke. When I got the phone, I removed it from the shipping container, and while it was in the factory packaging it dropped off the counter top and hit my hard kitchen floor. Maybe a 4 foot drop. Didn't hurt it at all. Obviously, the box protected it a bit, but it isn't really designed to do that.

My point is that if my phone can sit in a nearly freezing car and get dropped off a counter top with minimal protection and survive, you can see why I find the stories of spontaneous cracking hard to believe.

A glass or plate that is hot that cracks has presumably been in a microwave, or oven, or been on a stove in which case it is WAY hotter than any phone will get.

AnGeor

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea, only 6 posts... BB user before... here are some pics

I know what happened, I got it's hard to believe, and if someone told me that I'll be suspicious, but it happened...

Attachments

• DS8_1929.jpg
    DS8_1929.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DS8_1931.jpg
    DS8_1931.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DS8_1932.jpg
    DS8_1932.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 30
  • DS8_1934.jpg
    DS8_1934.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 32

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Not to be the devils advocate, but all that proves is you broke it, not how. We need someone to sacrifice a Nexus to science and get accurate temperature reads and see what it take to crack the back with temperature changes/differentials.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why people are referring to granite countertops as "cold". While they may feel cool and resist or are slow to reach a new temperature, they will be for the most part "room temperature". Granite countertops don't contain magic cooling coils. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz