Can someone that uses Google Voice tell me if it works as a dialing/texting app?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've never used GV before, but I will be as soon as my N4 gets here. Is the app used as a replacement dialing and texting app? In other words, if you want everyone you call to see your GV number as the number you're calling from (instead of your phones actual number), do you launch GV and dial out from there? Does it have things like speed dial settings?

Or maybe it integrates itself into whatever dialing app you normally use?

Thenewyorkdolley

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
When you install GV, it will ask which calls you want it to make, with "All" being an option. If you select that all outgoing calls will appear to come from your GV number, with an important caveat. If you have no data service, GV isn't able to connect to the server and the call will come from the number associated with the phone.

As for texting, GV does not integrate with the native app in Android. You will have to use the GV app to send and receive texts if you want those texts to come from your GV number. For most users this is a minor inconvenience at best, but some people find it unacceptable.

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When you install GV, it will ask which calls you want it to make, with "All" being an option. If you select that all outgoing calls will appear to come from your GV number, with an important caveat. If you have no data service, GV isn't able to connect to the server and the call will come from the number associated with the phone.
When there is no data and I have to call my GV number to make a call the caller ID is still my GV number... not matter what phone I used to call in. But perhaps I misunderstood.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze