• 3 Post By TenshiNo
  • 1 Post By JobiWan144
  • 1 Post By Perry Fabiano
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default Ordered today - Leaving iPhone

Hi all.

I ordered a 16G Nexus 4 today. Hopefully I will have it around the first of the year... Long wait!

I just wanted to be clear about what I need to do at the AT&T store when I get the new phone. I am still under my 2 year agreement on my iPhone.

1. Convert data plan from Unlimited iPhone to Unlimited Smartphone 4G (HSPA+)
    2. Remove Visual Voicemail.

Will I have to edit any APN settings? Or will the default work fine with 4G HSPA+ ?
    Also, has anyone done this with AT&T and verified that it doesn't affect your "upgrade eligibility"?

Thanks!

Default Re: Ordered today - Leaving iPhone

Are you selling your iPhone? If so, where?

I'm in the same boat as you and have the same questions.

how the heck can you still order when all I see is sold out from like nov 13.....???

Quote Originally Posted by sssgood View Post
    how the heck can you still order when all I see is sold out from like nov 13.....???
    The phone went on sale again 2 days ago.

I have an iPhone 5 I got on launch day and got my N4 last week. I just swapped my SIM with an adapter, put in the APN settings from the post on here (just look for it, it should be on first page here) and it worked fine.

You don't have to do anything special to get it to work.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brett_f View Post
    Hi all.

I ordered a 16G Nexus 4 today. Hopefully I will have it around the first of the year... Long wait!

I just wanted to be clear about what I need to do at the AT&T store when I get the new phone. I am still under my 2 year agreement on my iPhone.

1. Convert data plan from Unlimited iPhone to Unlimited Smartphone 4G (HSPA+)
    2. Remove Visual Voicemail.

Will I have to edit any APN settings? Or will the default work fine with 4G HSPA+ ?
    Also, has anyone done this with AT&T and verified that it doesn't affect your "upgrade eligibility"?

Thanks!
    Do we have to switch our data plans? When I went from a Blackberry, to Android, then to iPhone, I didn't have to switch any of my data plans per se.

How do I remove visual voicemail?

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown Jesus View Post
    The phone went on sale again 2 days ago.
    are you kidding me, please don't tell me you can order only if you are in the US (Ima in Canada)

are you kidding me, please don't tell me you can order only if you are in the US (Ima in Canada)
    I don't know. It should be fine for Canada too. Go to the Play Store and see if you can order one.

Yeah U.S. only, sorry mate.

Why switch? Dont you get more than 4 hours of screen time (i.e. better battery with iPhone 5?) Dont you use the same carrier? It doesnt make your costs cheaper right? Isnt the iPhone 5 more stable in many ways?

Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    Why switch? Dont you get more than 4 hours of screen time (i.e. better battery with iPhone 5?) Dont you use the same carrier? It doesnt make your costs cheaper right? Isnt the iPhone 5 more stable in many ways?
    Every phone has its issues, but I don't think the iPhone is "more stable in many ways." Android, in its current state (that being 4.2.1), is a very feature-rich, smooth, and stable operating system. I say that from personal experience, from the points of view of a developer and consumer. Have you used both the iPhone and Nexus 4?

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

One quick disclaimer, and I'm sorry if this seems rude, but you do realize that statements like this make you sound like a troll, right? I don't know if that was really your intention, but to come into an Android forum and try to dissuade someone from switching from iOS to Android using very questionable arguments is going to come across that way.

Considering 4 hours of screen on time is just about what you can expect from most phones and, frankly, that's quite a lot. And most of my friends with iPhones are *constantly* looking for a charger.

And, no, frankly iOS6 is *not* more stable. I recently had a couple of friends who got Droid X's together jump ship for the iPhone 4s, because they were dissatisfied with their Android phones. From the sounds of it, they did have some legitimate problems with their Droid X's, but man are they regretting it right now. Both of their phones are having major issues with freezing and apps crashing, not to mention the maps debacle. And I've got a couple of other friends who are long-time iPhone users who will admit outright that, while they love their iPhones, they crash plenty.

All that said, recent studies have actually shown more app crashes per launch on the iPhone than Android:

And that doesn't even begin to touch on all the things that Android is capable of that iOS never will be. I frequently go to AndroidCentral sister site iMore and read articles and comments there. It's hilarious to me to see people saying things in the comments like "we want x!" and almost always, it's a feature Android already has, and has had for a while.

If you're buying the hype that iOS is automatically better than Android, you're not doing yourself any favors. None of this is to say that the iPhone is a bad piece of hardware, or that iOS is a bad operating system. What I am saying is that just because you believe that iOS is better doesn't mean you should try and discourage others from exploring what the mobile world has to offer.

ROM
    MeanROM ICS; may change

No, upgrading to an iPhone 5 off-contract is much more expensive than upgrading to a Nexus 4 off-contract ($300 more expensive for the 16 GB models).
    masterpfa likes this.

I just made the same swtich on ATT, have had the N4 for a over a week now and don't regret it one bit, holy hell is thing awesome and Android takes a little getting used to but in the long run is LIGHT YEARS ahead of iOS. Have only had iPhones before but I'm never going back.

As for battery, I'm getting through full days with no problems, it's all in how long you have the screen on for. To me if you're a working adult three hours of screen time on should do you just fine.
    masterpfa likes this.

I recently switched from a iPhone to a Galaxy Nexus. I still haven't changed my ATT account in any way. I ended up switching to using Google Voice to handle my voice mail to get an equivalent to visual voice mail.

Make sure you disable iMessage, otherwise any friends that have iPhones will be iMessaging you instead of text messaging you. You'll probably still get their messages but their messages to you will have to fail to send as an iMessage before they are sent as a text message. Usually makes messages to you take minutes to arrive.

On your iPhone (from )
    If you plan on transferring your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If you do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.

If you loose/break/sell/etc your iPhone before you disable iMessage then go to and unregister the device.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matthieu Heimer View Post
    I recently switched from a iPhone to a Galaxy Nexus. I still haven't changed my ATT account in any way. I ended up switching to using Google Voice to handle my voice mail to get an equivalent to visual voice mail.

Make sure you disable iMessage, otherwise any friends that have iPhones will be iMessaging you instead of text messaging you. You'll probably still get their messages but their messages to you will have to fail to send as an iMessage before they are sent as a text message. Usually makes messages to you take minutes to arrive.

On your iPhone (from )
    If you plan on transferring your SIM card or phone number from an iPhone to a device that does not support iMessage, turn off iMessage in Settings > Messages first. If you do not, other iOS devices may continue to try to send a message using iMessage first, instead only using SMS or MMS.

If you loose/break/sell/etc your iPhone before you disable iMessage then go to and unregister the device.
    That's a good tip about iMessage. Thanks!

BTW, you said you haven't modified your AT&T account in any way. Did you have iPhone 5 or a previous model? I have a 4 (not 4s) so it is 3g capable only. I am reading in other threads that my data plan will need to be modified to a 4g (non LTE) plan in order to get the best possible data speeds on the N4.