Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to backup all contacts on Nexus 4 since no SD card?

As question states, how and where can you backup contacts to your PC since the Nexus 4 has to SD card you can export to?
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,013 Global Posts

Default Re: How to backup all contacts on Nexus 4 since no SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by yukichi View Post
    As question states, how and where can you backup contacts to your PC since the Nexus 4 has to SD card you can export to?
    Kinda depends on how you're getting them in there in the first place. Easiest, imho, is still to use Gmail. And then you can back them up from the gmail web side of things.

There is no physical SD card, but that does not mean there is no storage.

Open the People/Contacts app, tap the Menu and select Import/Export -> Export to storage. Answer OK to the Export Contacts? query.

When completed (a few seconds), use your USB cable to connect your N4 to your Windows PC. Open Explorer, click "Nexus 4" in the left pane and Internal Storage in the right. Scroll to the bottom and you should find your .vcf file there.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

As I do not use GMail, I have no idea if Google Contacts is part of GMail but I have found the easiest way (at least for me) is to goto http://www.google.com/contacts and log-in and from there I can export my contacts.

Dan
    Thanked by:

You could get a Kingston Wi-Drive. It comes in 16, 32 & 64 GB's it is just smaller than the Nexus 4 and weighs about the same, but connects to the Nexus 4 via Wifi for file transfer both directions (only with android), streaming of media data to 3 devices. Also it has something called a bridge that allows you to connect to the internet while also being connected to the Wi-Drive wifi connection.
    Amazon.com: Kingston Wi-Drive 32 GB USB 2.0 Pocket-sized Portable Storage WID/32GBZ: Electronics
    The 32GB version is on special right now.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

The People app can export to storage, although I've a Windows 7 Pro Bootcamp partition Mac OS X is my main desktop OS, when I plug in my phone I can use Android File Transfer (not necessary in Windows) to copy over the VCF contacts file and Apple's Contacts.app to import it. I'm sure you can do the same for whatever contacts app you use on your PC.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5

backup all contacts and SMS on Android since no SD card with A All In one Android Transfer&Manager.

You can Use This Android mobile manager--Backup or Restore/Recover all Android mobile data with a Click,including contacts, SMS,apps,video,msuic,photo,catalogs, etc.You can restore all or selected backed-up files to your Android phone with a click,and quick install/uninstall, move and export apps easily for Android mobile,such as HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc.

this was very helpful- thanks
    I transfered the vcf file to my laptop
    How do I open this file to view my contacts?
    Naomi

Thx I was wondering the same thing and looked all through my files on my lap top with the n4 connected and couldn't figure out why I could find my contacts!! Lol

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

Google contacts on Gmail. Couldn't be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ferziger View Post
    this was very helpful- thanks
    I transfered the vcf file to my laptop
    How do I open this file to view my contacts?
    Naomi
    Your mail client (if you use one, Outlook, for example) may be able to open or import vcf data. Another option, Google "vcf viewer" and choose from a multitude of free and not so free downloadable programs.