Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 In Call Volume too LOUD!

Got my N4 16GB device last night and hooked it up with ST (with TMobile SIM). When talking on the phone the in call volume is unbearably loud! I have it all the way to the lowest volume setting using the volume rocker and need to hold the phone away from my ear b/c it is too loud.

Is anyone else experiencing this..heard of this?

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Nexus 4 In Call Volume too LOUD!

Quote Originally Posted by fam617 View Post
    I have it all the way to the lowest volume setting using the volume rocker
    I was going to post, "Use the volume control, n00b!" until I got to this part. Perhaps you've become a vampire or Spider-Man and have super-hearing now?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    palitsyn likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I know it sounds crazy...just had co-workers try it out and they say the same - too loud for them too.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Found a fix...raised the volume to the max setting and then dropped it back down. This did the trick. Seems like a bug, Google?
    Thanked by:

Its always loud here, especially where I work, what's loud in my apartment is perfectly balanced output outside. This is the best metropolitan phone I've had.

One bug I've noticed is the phone immediately dropping to silent and vibrating, displaying a gray speaker icon with a slash through it in the notification area. I don't know how to replicate it. Holing the volume rocker until it changes to vibrate mode displays a white, shaking phone icon in the notification area instead so I have no idea what setting is kicking in. Thank God it happens rarely but it has happened while in my hand, too. Quite odd.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

could it be on speaker?
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

Raising volume to max (using rocker) while in call then lowering it worked for me too.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by fam617 View Post
    Got my N4 16GB device last night and hooked it up with ST (with TMobile SIM). When talking on the phone the in call volume is unbearably loud! I have it all the way to the lowest volume setting using the volume rocker and need to hold the phone away from my ear b/c it is too loud.

Is anyone else experiencing this..heard of this?
    I can second that with the two Nexus 4 I have (the first and its replacement for earpiece buzz). Its extremely loud. Is there any ticket on Google Code?

My earpiece buzzes like a mother. It's borderline unusable. I've had to end calls and tell people I'll just have to text them back. I get ticking noises that come through randomly as well. I want to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
    My earpiece buzzes like a mother. It's borderline unusable. I've had to end calls and tell people I'll just have to text them back. I get ticking noises that come through randomly as well. I want to send it back.
    Lol sounds like you've been tapped

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I called Google support at 855-836-3987. They say my unit is defective and they are replacing it for free.

Great phone!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Yes...that's what I did. New phone came in 2 days and had no issues with buzzing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The call volume issue (not the buzzing) is logged as a bug here:
    Issue 2973 - android - In Call Volume too loud on lowest setting - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I have the same problem and can confirm the workaround mentioned above (turning the volume all the way up, then down again).
    Thanked by 2:

The discussion that Yanini links to mentions not only the work around of raising the volume and then lowering it. It also mentions a way of consistently triggering the bug for some users: connecting to a bluetooth audio device, such as a headset or car bluetooth system, disconnecting and then placing or receiving a call.

Yanni: Thanks for the issue tracker link. After 95 posts on the issue a developer from the Android Open Source Project closed it as posted in "wrong forum", claiming that the issue was device-specific, despite the issue having occurred on many devices for many Android versions. The users really did a great job narrowing down the (or one) cause of the issue and even posting a stack trace. I posted a summary of the 95 posts, including affected hardware and software and plea for the bug report to be reopened.