Phone app drains battery

Szabinger

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know why could this happen? I didnt make any calls at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354316345188.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354316345188.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 427

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I posted a thread earlier about noticing the same thing, but since no one scrolls down more than a third of a page or looks at the 2nd page, it was overlooked, it appears. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/230353-phone-process-guzzling-power.html

I'm trying to get a feel for battery life which has so far been a little worse here at work than my GS2, but in checking why I've used 48% of the battery in only 3:55 (3/4 bars, wifi and GPS off, screen 30%, BT on) and GSam Battery Monitor shows Phone using 41% of that power and when I looked at the Usage Details, it reports this:

CPU Usage: 16m 46s
Keep Awake: 3h 2m 20s
Number of Wake Locks: 1729
Number of times waking device: 60

The thing is, I haven't made a single phone call since unplugging, so WTFF is going on here? Any ideas? TIA.

deankaltsas

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i have narrowed it down to two things.... the GPS seems to eat battery life but only while it's being used. i mean alot of power! and once i walked into the movies and my phone was burning up! i rebooted the phone and is was ok after... i guess it doesn;t know when to quit looking for a signal. i played about 15-20 minutes on ingress and it ate 50% of the battery.. it uses the gps ...so i removed that program. my next guess may be the data signal or rather the higher speed network.. but for sure something is wrong!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
what service provider are you using? did you set any APNs?
I'm using these settings. They aren't the ones ST provided, but they're the ones that worked, unlike the ST-provided ones.

Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: None
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using these settings. They aren't the ones ST provided, but they're the ones that worked, unlike the ST-provided ones.

Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: None
APN type: default,supl
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

I'm using default APN.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Im not too keen on the APNs. although I know many are here. Just my basic knowledge of androids points to an issue with the phone "trying" to communicate with the Network for a signal to make phone calls. The confusing part is how much the CPU is having to think about this. It could just be a bug in the phone or an incorrect APN setting. I would attempt to search around to find different APN settings. (I have heard that the Proxy can be deleted and is not need, it only limits some apps like Speedtest)

I will do some more research and comment later.

Edit: also try to reset the phone and reset the battery monitoring. see if its the same issue after an hour or so. (if not... then an application is turning the phone on... and its not shutting off)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Were you using the Sensorly.com app "4G,CDMA,GSM,WIFI Coverage maps" by any chance? I loaded it and set it to lightly contribute to mapping, but after my post, I removed it and now after 4-1/2 hours (which still sucked half of the battery), Phone is only responsible for 2.6% of power use (down from 41%!) and the breakout is this:

CPU Usage: 2m 24s (down from 16m 46s)
Keep Awake: 3m 49s (waaaaaaay down from 3h 2m 20s)
Number of Wake Locks: 8084 ( huge jump up from 1729)
Number of times waking device: 83 (25% more than 60)

Hmmmmmm.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
and once i walked into the movies and my phone was burning up! i rebooted the phone and is was ok after... i guess it doesn;t know when to quit looking for a signal.
This problem is not unique to the N4. My current phone will do this if I go into a theater with it on. Once the movie is over, the phone will be super hot and the battery will have drained a good 30%, but a reboot fixes it. I keep meaning to put it in airplane mode instead of silent, but always forget.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I posted a thread earlier about noticing the same thing, but since no one scrolls down more than a third of a page or looks at the 2nd page, it was overlooked, it appears. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/230353-phone-process-guzzling-power.html

I'm trying to get a feel for battery life which has so far been a little worse here at work than my GS2, but in checking why I've used 48% of the battery in only 3:55 (3/4 bars, wifi and GPS off, screen 30%, BT on) and GSam Battery Monitor shows Phone using 41% of that power and when I looked at the Usage Details, it reports this:

CPU Usage: 16m 46s
Keep Awake: 3h 2m 20s
Number of Wake Locks: 1729
Number of times waking device: 60

The thing is, I haven't made a single phone call since unplugging, so WTFF is going on here? Any ideas? TIA.

Same exact issue here. I have two major issues with N4 and/or Jellybean and this is one of them. I'm opposite in that I leave my phone on charge during most of the day and off charger overnight while sleeping. Has never been an issue with any of the past 3 generation iphones (1st, 3GS and 4). With N4, I lose ~30% charge overnight (7 hrs) coming off 100% charge and zero screen use. I've disabled every background app I can, removed all widgets aside from one (which allows option not to update while screen is off). The iphone I'd lose 5-8% if that and still using the same Exchange and Gmail push settings, in fact I had 2 additional POP accts enabled.

I'm on ATT and have not modified any APN settings. Just popped in my SIM and went with it since it connected straight away (everything like MMS functional). I'm going to see what settings my iphone 4 has as comparison though.

If this is par for the course on Android, so be it and I'll deal, but seems like a battery drain issue (bug) or big lack of optimization in some area.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Same exact issue here. I have two major issues with N4 and/or Jellybean and this is one of them. I'm opposite in that I leave my phone on charge during most of the day and off overnight while sleeping.

So, wait a minute - when you guys say "off" do you mean off as in hold the power button until the menu pops up and then select the "Power off" option?

This may be an entirely different situation; I haven't tried it that way and have no idea whether the phone will charge in that mode or not.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So, wait a minute - when you guys say "off" do you mean off as in hold the power button until the menu pops up and then select the "Power off" option?

This may be an entirely different situation; I haven't tried it that way and have no idea whether the phone will charge in that mode or not.

No, sorry, I've clarified my sentence. I'm opposite in that I leave my phone on charge during most of the day and off charger overnight while sleeping. The phone is on and should be sleeping (no screen use). I get the impression most people leave their phones on charge overnight. I don't simply because of the setup in my bedroom and lack of appropriate furniture right now. I'll address that part at some point, but it's been a non-issue with other phones. Losing 30% isn't making a huge impact, but it's annoying and trying to track down the reason.

Thanks for the reply.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am posting this from my GS2 at the restaurant I'm having breakfast at because I woke up to find my N4 at 9%(!!!) battery after 8 hours from a full charge WHILE I WAS SLEEPING! The screen was on 8 minutes, but the phone was awake over 6 hours IIRC. I took a bunch of screenshots of GSam that I'll add when I get home.

This was at home, where I've got plenty of bars and it was connected to the wifi. I've seen people reporting that HD Widgets cause problems and I saw that it was using battery even though no widgets were being used, so I uninstalled it. I was still sleepy when I was taking the shots, but it appears the Maps drain that has plagued my Nexus 7 since 4.2 is happening here, too.

This was my third night with the N4 and it only went down ~15% the night before in the same location. I don't think the problem with the N4's battery is on LG's side - there is clearly a software cause to this drain and I think it's a mix of OS and app bugginess. The problem is trying to spot the culprit when everyone has 100 different apps on their phones.

Sorry for the huge screenshots - Tapatalk didn't give me the option to attach them smaller. :eek:

y4yhy9ut.jpg
u4adagud.jpg
a3epudag.jpg
yze4atem.jpg
utu4era6.jpg
a7evaveb.jpg
jazu6ape.jpg
5ysaqu8y.jpg

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I realize you are not going to like this, but battery monitoring apps have a long history of being a root cause of battery drain dating all the way back to the earliest PalmOS PDA's. Reminds me of my brother-in-law, a big city fire department captain, telling me about how many fires are started each year by wired-in smoke detectors...

AppHunter

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here, no phone calls, and phone app drains more than the screen. If not for some software bugs, the Nexus should get the same or better battery life then the Optimus G

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Prove this.

Honestly, I don't need to prove anything. If you were as heavily involved in PalmOS devices as I was - both as a developer and a user - you would be well aware of the fact that excessive battery drain, crashes, and reboots are 99.9% of the time caused by bad apps. You would also know that there were at least two battery monitor apps in the Palm world which were notorious for causing trouble.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because Palm apps are just like Android apps and everyone here is totally familiar with the history of Palm apps from our use of them. Yep. Indeed. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2