Phone app drains battery

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't need to prove anything. If you were as heavily involved in PalmOS devices as I was - both as a developer and a user - you would be well aware of the fact that excessive battery drain, crashes, and reboots are 99.9% of the time caused by bad apps. You would also know that there were at least two battery monitor apps in the Palm world which were notorious for causing trouble.

If this was true he would have had the same issue on his GS2.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what I've wondered too since it's gotta be constantly checking the GPS and whatnot. However, this could easily be prevented by using a simple check as to whether the phone is moving or not. With the gyroscope and orientation sensors, you'd think there'd be a line of code like "IF gyro_status="not going anywhere" THEN "do nothing until movement detected." A phone sitting on a nightstand shouldn't be doing anything for four hours unless it has a secret gambling problem and is betting on horse races in Indonesia or something.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
But it also checks your email for details etc. I didn't have it activated on my Transformer Prime but just turned it on the other day and have noticed a not more battery drain. I am going to start doing some tests on that too.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed in the past on my GS2 that some widgets are serious power vampires. (As in they drain the battery, not that they're like Klaus on the Vampire Diaries.) After updating my GS2 to ICS, I was getting insanely short battery like (like THREE HOURS!) and had to factory restore it. After I did so, I didn't do the usual "reload your 100 favorite apps immediately" thing, but let it sit bone stock and see what happened. What happened was that it seemed to lose no juice at all. Then I added my accounts and set up Gmail and waited some more. Slightly faster drain, but still good. Eventually I got all the software back in, but whatever they're doing is drinking from the power pool.

What's useful, but frustrating is that while GSam can point us toward what's feeding, it can't tell us what we can do about it when they're autonomous system processes. Sparkly Froo-Froo Widgets is using a lot of juice? Uninstall that troublemaker! Google Services or Phone drinking power? Ummmmm...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed in the past on my GS2 that some widgets are serious power vampires. (As in they drain the battery, not that they're like Klaus on the Vampire Diaries.) After updating my GS2 to ICS, I was getting insanely short battery like (like THREE HOURS!) and had to factory restore it. After I did so, I didn't do the usual "reload your 100 favorite apps immediately" thing, but let it sit bone stock and see what happened. What happened was that it seemed to lose no juice at all. Then I added my accounts and set up Gmail and waited some more. Slightly faster drain, but still good. Eventually I got all the software back in, but whatever they're doing is drinking from the power pool.

What's useful, but frustrating is that while GSam can point us toward what's feeding, it can't tell us what we can do about it when they're autonomous system processes. Sparkly Froo-Froo Widgets is using a lot of juice? Uninstall that troublemaker! Google Services or Phone drinking power? Ummmmm...

Yup. I hear ya. There needs to be better control on optimization of apps. Google needs to monitor things like Apple does or it will be impossible to know what is wrong. I have been pretty lucky recently with my SG2. The battery isn't perfect but I know what to do it in order to minimize the drain. I use Go Launcher with the calendar and power widgets. Plus widgets for minimalistic text, circle battery widget, Bob clock. Over all these seem to be okay.

Elijah Waeterling

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue, phone app was using 56% of my battery life. I deleted two "bad apps" I suspected to be causing the problem. A game boy advance emulator and a Nintendo 64 emulator. The phone app dropped to using 54% battery after a few minutes. The delete of those two emulators seems to be helping

Update: right after I posted this I checked my battery out again and the phone app is down to using 50%!!!! I hope this helps someone out

Vanessa Larralde

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue on a Samsung T699; I've read and re-read all the suggestions here and still don't know how to fix it.
My phone was ok and suddenly the "Phone" app started eating up all the battery. I uninstalled recently installed apps (although they didn't seem to use much battery, according to the Battery indicator provided by Android) and the problem continued. I now have the same apps I had when the phone was working smoothly, so I suspect the culprit are not new (and uninstalled) apps but the old ones I've been using that may have got a faulty update.
I installed Greenify, but since my phone is not rooted there's not much it can do (and, boy Samsung does add a lot of useless apps by default!).
I also installed GSam Battery Monitor to check what happened.
The weird thing is: the problem suddenly stopped. I don't remember doing anything other than installing those two but well, I was happy. But it only lasted for 3, 4 days (and 2 or 3 full battery charges). Then it came back after I hadn't used my phone more than a few second to send a few whatsapp messages.
I usually have bluetooth and GPS off, and only keep wifi and mobile data on. And the phone worked ok for 2 years with this configuration.

This is what the Phone app did today in the 30 minutes the phone was not being used right after I plugged it off from the charger:
2015-04-15 08.00.55.png
2015-04-15 08.00.47.png

I force stopped each one of the included packages (the ones that let me do it, since others just don't allow force stop) and it kinda seems to have solved the problem, although I suspect that now the whole phone functionality won't work.

Any hints on what might be going on, or what I can do to find what's actually draining the battery? Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21