Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Question Why is my Nexus 4 ineligible for Solavei?!? Missing out on FREE deal!

I heard a radio ad for phone service that kicks a contribution to a charity for families of fallen police officers and when I went to check it out (link), discovered it was done in conjunction with Solavei. Even better is that they're offering the first month AND the SIM for FREE, saving me $78 right off. Good, right? WRONG!!!

I went to register and they asked for the IMEI that comes up after dialing *#06# and punched it in and it says I'm ineligible for signing up, with my only options being to either buy a device (only option is a ZTE Origin, whatever that is) or to sign up as a "Social Member" for $149 per year which doesn't even give you phone service, but allows you to, I guess, sell the service to others. I know it's not supposed to be a pyramid scam, but WTFF are people supposed to think?

Anyone else get shot down trying to sign up or did you go through someone else to get your hookup? TIA.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Default Re: Why is my Nexus 4 ineligible for Solavei?!? Missing out on FREE deal!

They use T-Mobile towers, Just get a Straight Talk plan (It's $5 cheaper a month and it can work on T-Mo or ATT towers)

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why is my Nexus 4 ineligible for Solavei?!? Missing out on FREE deal!

That not what my question was. I have ST AT&T, but want to try T-Mo and this would allow me to do so for free. Also, the kick to charity and the potential to make some coin are factors as well. And it's $4 cheaper.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Global Posts
    876 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    That not what my question was. I have ST AT&T, but want to try T-Mo and this would allow me to do so for free. Also, the kick to charity and the potential to make some coin are factors as well. And it's $4 cheaper.
    If Solavei simply uses T-mobile's network, the Nexus 4 should have no problem connecting to the Network. Did it give you a reason? I don't know what type of SIM cards Solavei has, but if it has only regular SIM cards, that may be why it's telling you no. The Nexus 4 uses a Micro SIM. Call Solavei and ask. info@solavei.com

Ask them if you can just order a SIM card, even if it's a regular SIM. You can cut the regular SIM down to make a Micro SIM pretty easily.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No reason given, just that it's not eligible. I tried the phone # on the site, but it's just an answering machine for the Freedom49 group. I'll shoot them a note and ask.

I checked the BBB, Solavei's only been in business since May of 2012. Their B rating is only because they've been in business for less than three years. I'd feel more comfortable once they've matured a bit. I don't know what they need your EMEI information for which, by the way, can be accessed by going to Settings > About Phone > Status, scroll down to IMEI. Viol, there's your number. Its also on the box your Nexus came in, on the lower left of the sticker with all the bar codes. Do they have access to the entire collection of EMEI codes? It just seems like they shouldn't have access to it and I wouldn't have been comfortable telling them.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm having a hard time biting my tongue at the replies here because they seem to answer questions other than what I've asked. It's like I asked, "How do I change a tire?" and the replies are, "Cars are expensive. Buy a bike." and "You should change that tire." I already have my IMEI number, thus the question asking why I'm getting rejected. As for how do they know what kind of phone I have; I'm sure that part of that string is make/model code just as several digits of a credit card # tell what company it's from and a car's VIN # spells out all sorts of details about what kind of features your ride has.

I got an auto-reply from Solavei and decided to give their phone line a call. I really wish I could've recorded this call so everyone could hear the utterly clueless and circular discussion I had with the CSR. She kept telling me how they'd love to "have [me] on board" but if a phone wasn't approved for use, they couldn't guarantee it would work. Then she told me about how there was a 14-day refund period in case I wanted to take a chance on the service working or not. (Since it's effing FREE, hell to the yeah I'd like to take a crack at that, not that I'm being allowed to FFS.) This went on for 10-15 minutes (whole call was 28 mins long, but I was on hold a while before they spoke to me), round-and-round as she get burping up the script while trying to encourage me to go rogue and somehow beat the system. It was very weird. They'd love to take my money, but talked to me like I'm as dumb as their CSRs, simultaneously giving wrong info that pretended it wouldn't work.

The list of supported phones is here - Device Selection - and every previous Nexus is on here, so it smells to me like they simply haven't gotten around to adding the N4 to the supported list. Bother, but I'm thinking that if they already extended this from the end of October until the end of November, a repeat next month is likely. Still it's a PITMFA. I found a post here where someone put up an invite link and supplied an IMEI from a GS3, but that doesn't sit quite right with me. Sigh.

Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why not call them instead?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I got an auto-reply from Solavei and decided to give their phone line a call. I really wish I could've recorded this call so everyone could hear the utterly clueless and circular discussion I had with the CSR.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    Why not call them instead?
    nickacs and MERCDROID like this.

ROM
    Stock

Interestingly enough I just tried my IMEI and it pops back with the same response. "Sorry! Your phone isn't compatible with Solavei Mobile Service."

I think you are right in the assumption that the N4 just hasn't been added to their approved list yet.

Try this.

xda-developers - View Single Post - My Nexus 4 isn't compatible with Solavei??

Nexus 4 hasn't been added to their devices list yet, so you just have to enter an IMEI for another phone that requires a micro SIM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The thing I don't like about those sorts of posts is that it's a slightly sneaky way to get people onto your network, feeding you $$$, by providing the referral link. I get how and why, but the key thing is the working IMEI # - in this case 353022055115650 - meaning I or anyone can just sign up clean with Solavei and be the top of our own pyramids, since if you add people to yours, these referrers are getting them counted too.

The thing I don't like about those sorts of posts is that it's a slightly sneaky way to get people onto your network, feeding you $$$, by providing the referral link. I get how and why, but the key thing is the working IMEI # - in this case 353022055115650 - meaning I or anyone can just sign up clean with Solavei and be the top of our own pyramids, since if you add people to yours, these referrers are getting them counted too.
    You're welcome.
    MERCDROID likes this.

I agree (although I think you're still the top of a pyramid regardless of who refers you). Best part is the ones posting the referral link usually have 1 post. I appreciate people providing a working IMEI (someone helped me as well) but am a bit overwhelmed by the solavei pounce that occurs whenever you mention the service.

Quote Originally Posted by mr19 View Post
    I agree (although I think you're still the top of a pyramid regardless of who refers you). Best part is the ones posting the referral link usually have 1 post. I appreciate people providing a working IMEI (someone helped me as well) but am a bit overwhelmed by the solavei pounce that occurs whenever you mention the service.
    That post from XDA wasn't mine, if that's what you're suggesting. I have a Solavei account, but I'm not one to post it all over the place because I agree, it's tacky. And I'm not even all that interested in their referral system, to be quite honest.

I've been browsing this forum quite a bit while I wait on my Nexus 4 to arrive. I saw that the OP needed some help with Solavei and figured I might as well sign up for AC so I can give him the answer. Again, the referral link in the XDA post isn't mine. I figured he might appreciate a full set of instructions instead of just the number.
    MERCDROID likes this.

More of a general statement about the methods of the Solavei fanboys. In the Other US Carriers forum I posted about concerns with porting my number to a relatively new company (Solavei) and the potential for losing it. Said I was already a customer but still had someone pounce on the Solavei keyword and offer to help me signup. I like the pricing, hopefully like the T-Mobile service (gotta be better than Sprint), but hate the Amway feel to it.
    nickacs likes this.

Agreed, mostly.

The two reasons I signed up for Solavei were that it's $10 cheaper than the equivalent T-Mo plan and doesn't throttle until 4 GB instead of 2. The referral system had nothing to do with it.

I think the main problem with the spamming comes from the fact that Solavei has enlisted the get-rich-quick types to sell this, not just customers. If they were relying solely on actual customers, I don't think it would be nearly as aggressive and irritating. The plan itself is good enough, discounts notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoneypenny View Post
    Agreed, mostly.

The two reasons I signed up for Solavei were that it's $10 cheaper than the equivalent T-Mo plan and doesn't throttle until 4 GB instead of 2. The referral system had nothing to do with it.

I think the main problem with the spamming comes from the fact that Solavei has enlisted the get-rich-quick types to sell this, not just customers. If they were relying solely on actual customers, I don't think it would be nearly as aggressive and irritating. The plan itself is good enough, discounts notwithstanding.
    Agree. I signed up for the same reasons. Why don't they save the $20/per trio they are handing out up the chain and just reduce the price by $5 to make it even more attractive.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr19 View Post
    Best part is the ones posting the referral link usually have 1 post.
    In this case that is not the case.. OP seems to be an established member, no?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    In this case that is not the case.. OP seems to be an established member, no?

Yes wasn't referring to OP, but making a general observation.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

I'm having a hard time biting my tongue at the replies here because they seem to answer questions other than what I've asked. It's like I asked, "How do I change a tire?" and the replies are, "Cars are expensive. Buy a bike." and "You should change that tire."
    I agree and have often felt the same way...

Although there is a side-benefit to the "I am trying to be helpful by giving you extraneous info/feedback/opinions" posts...

Others visit the thread and may find those "I am trying to be helpful by giving you extraneous info/feedback/opinions" posts to be helpful & informative...

But yes, I know how you feel. And you did a good job expressing your frustration in a productive manner with the "I'm having a hard time biting my tongue" wording...

The Micro SIM CARD IMEI number for SOLAVEI Services is 359902042371355
    For REGULAR SIM CARDS the IMEI Number for SOLAVEI Service is 351863043927181

When you get your phone - Change the APN Settings for MMS

Need help - give me a shout out!
    Thanked by:

Let me tell you my story with Solavei. I got the Nexus 4 and got the T-mobile $30 plan to try out. It worked perfectly. Got the fake IMEI to register with Solavei. Eventhough they said it was free first month, you still have to pay $49 for activation fee. I got the micro SIM correctly more than 2 weeks ago. I went on to activate on their site. Put the customer ID and order ID in, it was seemed to be activated. I didn't get any option to port my number and confirmation email or text message. I put the SIM in and could make phone call and saw my new phone number. I tried every APN settings I could find in their site, this site, web,... None of them are working. I can make phone call but not internet. Chat with CS couple of times and they said that my account was not activated and told me to wait. They escalated that to higher support. I waited couple of days and still no emails as they promised. I have totally chat with them 4 times now and it's still not resolved and account still not activated. They suggest now I create new account and order new SIM and will got refund for the old one once the new one activated. I don't want to go through the process again since I don't want to use the fake IMEI number again. Bad impression.

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binhton View Post
    Let me tell you my story with Solavei. I got the Nexus 4 and got the T-mobile $30 plan to try out. It worked perfectly. Got the fake IMEI to register with Solavei. Eventhough they said it was free first month, you still have to pay $49 for activation fee. I got the micro SIM correctly more than 2 weeks ago. I went on to activate on their site. Put the customer ID and order ID in, it was seemed to be activated. I didn't get any option to port my number and confirmation email or text message. I put the SIM in and could make phone call and saw my new phone number. I tried every APN settings I could find in their site, this site, web,... None of them are working. I can make phone call but not internet. Chat with CS couple of times and they said that my account was not activated and told me to wait. They escalated that to higher support. I waited couple of days and still no emails as they promised. I have totally chat with them 4 times now and it's still not resolved and account still not activated. They suggest now I create new account and order new SIM and will got refund for the old one once the new one activated. I don't want to go through the process again since I don't want to use the fake IMEI number again. Bad impression.
    free first month sounded good, till they asked 50 membership fee. straight talk is better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    chubb likes this.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Received my Nexus 4 today. Took the sim out of my Galaxy Nexus and popped it into the Nexus 4, received signal in about 30 seconds. Deleted the T-Mobile APN that gets put on the phone, added the Solavei APN settings for the Galaxy Nexus and I am now receiveing internet and MMS....no problems here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast