Leaving plastic on front and back?

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys so I got my phone yesterday and I was wondering if keeping the plastic on the front screen is standard practice? I am too scared to take it off and it doesn't obscure the view at all save for the volume rocker plus minus icons.

Am I just paranoid? I don't wanna scratch the screen permanently with my fingernails or anything like that.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys so I got my phone yesterday and I was wondering if keeping the plastic on the front screen is standard practice? I am too scared to take it off and it doesn't obscure the view at all save for the volume rocker plus minus icons.

Am I just paranoid? I don't wanna scratch the screen permanently with my fingernails or anything like that.

The front screen is gorrila glass 2 so it is hard to scratch. Not saying it wont but really hard.

Now the back would be a different story. buy a screen protector if you are too paranoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAExzHJIHHE

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey still yeah I was considering it but there is something appealing about the naked screen, plastic and protectors seem to diminish touch sensitivity and quality. does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been rocking the OEM plastic on BOTH the front and back since initial shipment 11/17 :) LMAO... Funny is I might leave the back on when I get my new Keycase this week and leave the front on just until I can find the right screen protector manufacturer I/others like. Been working great..lol

Nof603

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?

I don't have a screen protector and ended up with a hairline scratch on the FRONT after having it just a couple days. I was so frustrated because I just picked up then phone and it was there, so I don't even know how it got there. Not much I can do about it though so oh well :-(

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I left the back plastic on until the next morning, thinking it might be a good scratch protector, but took it off because it seemed to me it made the disco ball effect of the back too hard to see. Running naked now. My phone, I mean.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind getting a mostly clear but yet somewhat sticker than the glass is on the back, protector on the back. I don't want to put a case on this beautiful phone. I want to see the back as well...too pretty. So hoping for a clear pre-cut NICE cover for the back glass.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
took off the front first day and have a screen protector on the front. left the back cover till i get my case next week. might still leave it on even if i get the case since it should still protect it from hairline scratch.

Tacoman667

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I still have the plastic on mine as my protectors are delivered today. I have almost gotten used to the power/plus/minus prints on the screen. Yesterday I kept thinking my screen was dirty because of those lol.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey still yeah I was considering it but there is something appealing about the naked screen, plastic and protectors seem to diminish touch sensitivity and quality. does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?

I never put screen protectors on my phones for the reasons that you said. But the only reason I haven't taken the plastic off my Nexus yet is because I'm waiting for my Liquid Armor to get here. Its not as obvious as a plastic screen protector, and it provides the same, if not better, protection.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It's your decision so don't worry if you feel paranoid
I took the front off because that glass is just too nice to use. However I did leave the back on (peeled off the barcode though).
I have Clarivue front/back screen protectors coming this week. Might just use the back one.
I also just ordered a Diztronic TPU case today. Probably the best case available. This case was a fav for the GNex

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a totally different type of device, but I've had my HP TouchPad since July 2011 and have never had a screen protector on it, aside from the OEM case. It's gone to work with me every day for over a year, been dropped far more times than I would have liked, and I have relatively few scratches on it. I believe this was an earlier variant of Gorilla Glass as well. My Pre3 also Gorilla Glass, I used for 6 months before getting my SGS3, and it has no noticeable scratches either.....also been dropped. I work out of a truck all day long, in a moderate to heavy dusty environment, so I think you'll be ok.

My SGS3 on the other hand has been in an Otterbox Defender case, after I dropped it and shattered the screen on the 4th day.

MonsieurJohnny

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was one day without screen protectors and there were no scratches. I then got a full-body screen protector and put a protector on the back. This is day 3, I still don't have a screen protector on the front, and there are no scratches. The smoothness of the screen makes me not want to put a screen protector on it.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I was using the OEM protective plastic until it peeled off in my pocket during a long bike ride.

Now I have a Skinomi front and back protector on it. Not fond of screen protectors in general but I'm not fond of scratches, scuffs and dents ever more, lol. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The smoothness of the screen makes me not want to put a screen protector on it.
+1

The buttery smoothness of the screen is just heaven. I really don't want to have screen protector on at all but I'm too scared that the ONE TIME I don't have my protector on I'll bump or knock into something and BAM! a scratch! *cries*

Sent from my Nexus 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs