Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By nickacs
  • 1 Post By Tacoman667
  • 1 Post By KitN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Leaving plastic on front and back?

Hey guys so I got my phone yesterday and I was wondering if keeping the plastic on the front screen is standard practice? I am too scared to take it off and it doesn't obscure the view at all save for the volume rocker plus minus icons.

Am I just paranoid? I don't wanna scratch the screen permanently with my fingernails or anything like that.

Default Re: Leaving plastic on front and back?

Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    Hey guys so I got my phone yesterday and I was wondering if keeping the plastic on the front screen is standard practice? I am too scared to take it off and it doesn't obscure the view at all save for the volume rocker plus minus icons.

Am I just paranoid? I don't wanna scratch the screen permanently with my fingernails or anything like that.
    The front screen is gorrila glass 2 so it is hard to scratch. Not saying it wont but really hard.

Now the back would be a different story. buy a screen protector if you are too paranoid.

I am buying a screen protector for the back maybe!
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hey still yeah I was considering it but there is something appealing about the naked screen, plastic and protectors seem to diminish touch sensitivity and quality. does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts

I've been rocking the OEM plastic on BOTH the front and back since initial shipment 11/17 LMAO... Funny is I might leave the back on when I get my new Keycase this week and leave the front on just until I can find the right screen protector manufacturer I/others like. Been working great..lol
    AbuYazeedUK and D3lit3 like this.

does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?
    I don't have a screen protector and ended up with a hairline scratch on the FRONT after having it just a couple days. I was so frustrated because I just picked up then phone and it was there, so I don't even know how it got there. Not much I can do about it though so oh well :-(

Bare naked done Day 1 and no issues to report!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,427 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I left the back plastic on until the next morning, thinking it might be a good scratch protector, but took it off because it seemed to me it made the disco ball effect of the back too hard to see. Running naked now. My phone, I mean.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
    Droids!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I wouldn't mind getting a mostly clear but yet somewhat sticker than the glass is on the back, protector on the back. I don't want to put a case on this beautiful phone. I want to see the back as well...too pretty. So hoping for a clear pre-cut NICE cover for the back glass.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

took off the front first day and have a screen protector on the front. left the back cover till i get my case next week. might still leave it on even if i get the case since it should still protect it from hairline scratch.

I still have the plastic on mine as my protectors are delivered today. I have almost gotten used to the power/plus/minus prints on the screen. Yesterday I kept thinking my screen was dirty because of those lol.
    nickacs likes this.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I still have the plastic on the front and back. Once I receive my screen protectors, I will take them off.

Hey still yeah I was considering it but there is something appealing about the naked screen, plastic and protectors seem to diminish touch sensitivity and quality. does anyone not use a protector and still have a flawless screen after moderate to heavy usage?
    I never put screen protectors on my phones for the reasons that you said. But the only reason I haven't taken the plastic off my Nexus yet is because I'm waiting for my Liquid Armor to get here. Its not as obvious as a plastic screen protector, and it provides the same, if not better, protection.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

It's your decision so don't worry if you feel paranoid
    I took the front off because that glass is just too nice to use. However I did leave the back on (peeled off the barcode though).
    I have Clarivue front/back screen protectors coming this week. Might just use the back one.
    I also just ordered a Diztronic TPU case today. Probably the best case available. This case was a fav for the GNex

Global Posts
    6,879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

I know this is a totally different type of device, but I've had my HP TouchPad since July 2011 and have never had a screen protector on it, aside from the OEM case. It's gone to work with me every day for over a year, been dropped far more times than I would have liked, and I have relatively few scratches on it. I believe this was an earlier variant of Gorilla Glass as well. My Pre3 also Gorilla Glass, I used for 6 months before getting my SGS3, and it has no noticeable scratches either.....also been dropped. I work out of a truck all day long, in a moderate to heavy dusty environment, so I think you'll be ok.

My SGS3 on the other hand has been in an Otterbox Defender case, after I dropped it and shattered the screen on the 4th day.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

I was one day without screen protectors and there were no scratches. I then got a full-body screen protector and put a protector on the back. This is day 3, I still don't have a screen protector on the front, and there are no scratches. The smoothness of the screen makes me not want to put a screen protector on it.

Have mine still but it will start to come off by itself soon. Mine in the front is mostly bubbles now.
    United States Air Force

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I was using the OEM protective plastic until it peeled off in my pocket during a long bike ride.

Now I have a Skinomi front and back protector on it. Not fond of screen protectors in general but I'm not fond of scratches, scuffs and dents ever more, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurJohnny View Post
    The smoothness of the screen makes me not want to put a screen protector on it.
    +1

The buttery smoothness of the screen is just heaven. I really don't want to have screen protector on at all but I'm too scared that the ONE TIME I don't have my protector on I'll bump or knock into something and BAM! a scratch! *cries*

Sent from my Nexus 4
    MonsieurJohnny likes this.