Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Don't get me wrong, I really want the Nexus 4 however the two biggies that are holding me back are,
    1) The extreme fragileness of the Nexus...seems very easy to crack the glass with just a small drop...
    2) Lack of sd card

    My limited research has lead me to one phone that is compatible both price and spec-wise to the Nexus 4...
    and of course it's from CHINA:

    Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP Gorilla Glass


    I found this phone as low as $345.00


    It's basically a Huawei Ascend D1 with 2G Ram and a slightly different form factor...and has only been available for only a couple of weeks.
    It come with ICS 4.0.4 and an micro sc card slot to 32GB and has WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz

    Con's:
    1) Won't see nearly the support from the Dev community for custom Roms and such
    2) Will it have a good selection of accessories like cases, screen protectors?

    I currently have the Huawei Mercury and it's a tough little phone that can handle some abuse so hopefully Glory II will as well.


    What are your thoughts on this phone?
    Are there any other smartphones that can compete with the Nexus 4 at it's price point?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    I think your 2 cons are really deal breakers for most that would want a N4.

    I think the other main difference would be the lockstep nature of the phone to Android updates and Google. Personally,I have had some bad issues with warranty when buying direct from China as well.
  3. #3  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    No other phone can compare if you are looking for a developer phone that is pure Google and that will have dev support and quick updates. If you are not a tinkerer or a dev then that's a story.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 12-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Paul627g likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Dude I wouldn't touch Huawei with a 10 foot pole.

    As it stands nothing can compete with the N4 in regards to specs-to-price ratio, meaning this is the cheapest phone of the highest build quality and specifications that you will find, bar none. This is the reason that demand is simply too high, and will remain so until either supply or competition can compensate.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    Dude I wouldn't touch Huawei with a 10 foot pole.

    As it stands nothing can compete with the N4 in regards to specs-to-price ratio, meaning this is the cheapest phone of the highest build quality and specifications that you will find, bar none. This is the reason that demand is simply too high, and will remain so until either supply or competition can compensate.
    I own a Huawei...the Mercury M886 on Cricket Wireless...so I've already touched one....got it for $150 and it's a pretty nice little 3g phone...excellent bang for the buck...
    You're not a Xenophobe are you? ie why wouldn't you touch one? Most phones are made in China anyway...
    big_time2 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by phstrat View Post
    I own a Huawei...the Mercury M886 on Cricket Wireless...so I've already touched one....got it for $150 and it's a pretty nice little 3g phone...excellent bang for the buck...
    You're not a Xenophobe are you? ie why wouldn't you touch one? Most phones are made in China anyway...
    I'm sure their functional, sorry I guess they are ok.

    I just know certain people that would never buy a Kia over a Honda, for example. And it's not because the Kia isn't a good car to drive, its almost as if they have a subconscious quality filter when it comes to anything from China, and automatically assume (mostly correctly) that a Japanese vehicle would possess way higher longevity and higher build quality.

    That was kinda what I was saying. LG is on par with quality that is expected from Samsung, Sony, etc. At the price point of $350 selling a high build quality smartphone is insane.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    I'm sure their functional, sorry I guess they are ok.

    I just know certain people that would never buy a Kia over a Honda, for example. And it's not because the Kia isn't a good car to drive, its almost as if they have a subconscious quality filter when it comes to anything from China, and automatically assume (mostly correctly) that a Japanese vehicle would possess way higher longevity and higher build quality.

    That was kinda what I was saying. LG is on par with quality that is expected from Samsung, Sony, etc. At the price point of $350 selling a high build quality smartphone is insane.
    I really like the N4 but all that glass is holding me back....to bad they don't have a HD version...ie Heavy Duty...I really don't want to fret every time I pick it up over fear of a drop, slip, or mishap...
    IMO, it's crazy to charge $600 to $700 for a no contract unlocked phone and competition from the likes of Huawei are a good thing for the general consumer at lowering overpriced devises from the big boys....as is the N4....the problem with the N4 is no sd card which forces you onto the cloud and potentially more expensive data plans from the carriers..
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
    I'm sure their functional, sorry I guess they are ok.

    I just know certain people that would never buy a Kia over a Honda, for example. And it's not because the Kia isn't a good car to drive, its almost as if they have a subconscious quality filter when it comes to anything from China, and automatically assume (mostly correctly) that a Japanese vehicle would possess way higher longevity and higher build quality.

    That was kinda what I was saying. LG is on par with quality that is expected from Samsung, Sony, etc. At the price point of $350 selling a high build quality smartphone is insane.
    Kia, being a Korean company, makes its cars in either South Korea just like N4s, or, more commonly these days, in the United States. Chinese factories, just like American factories 80 years ago, are capable of turning out products of whatever quality level people are willing to pay for. I can't speak for Huawei, but Apple builds nearly all its equipment in China and their quality these days is pretty good. On the other hand, there's no shortage of poorly-made Chinese stuff out there either.

    Quality in a global market is more about WHO makes it than WHERE they make it. At the same time VWs built in Mexico sit near the bottom of reliability ratings (right alongside the same models built in Germany), Ford has won quality awards for a couple of its Mexican-built vehicles.

    As to the OP's question, there's been quite a bit of speculation that Google is either selling N4s at cost or actually losing money on them, so it'd be nearly impossible to find a device that competes on price and specs.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Post Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by saeufer View Post
    Kia, being a Korean company, makes its cars in either South Korea just like N4s, or, more commonly these days, in the United States. Chinese factories, just like American factories 80 years ago, are capable of turning out products of whatever quality level people are willing to pay for. I can't speak for Huawei, but Apple builds nearly all its equipment in China and their quality these days is pretty good. On the other hand, there's no shortage of poorly-made Chinese stuff out there either.

    Quality in a global market is more about WHO makes it than WHERE they make it. At the same time VWs built in Mexico sit near the bottom of reliability ratings (right alongside the same models built in Germany), Ford has won quality awards for a couple of its Mexican-built vehicles.

    As to the OP's question, there's been quite a bit of speculation that Google is either selling N4s at cost or actually losing money on them, so it'd be nearly impossible to find a device that competes on price and specs.
    The N4 doesn't benchmark very well on some things...like SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

    a very high 1800 (confirmation appriciated)...my single core 1.4GHz snapdragon scorpion Huawei Merc does 2100...Apple 5 is 900..
    The Huawei Glory II would prolly smoke the N4 spec-wise on a hardware level...Huawei isn't some fly by night tech company...they are the leading telecom company in China and actually make their own SOC integrated circuits as well as state of the art cellular networking infrastructure..but for the most part they are feared and scorned by Americian's...just look at the comments on any press release on Engadget regarding Huawei devices...damn commies
    plus the Glory II would be a much sturdier phone that one wouldn't have to constantly worry about breaking via a 3 foot drop to the hard concrete...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    So get the Huawei and migrate over to that forum. I think everyone in here prefers the N4.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Thanked by 3:
    Jerry Hildenbrand and Racer X like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    So get the Huawei and migrate over to that forum. I think everyone in here prefers the N4.
    That's not very nice now is it? I'm not here to discredit the N4, just throw out some potential debating point...you seem to have a nasty side to you...life is to short buddy...
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    If they are at cost or near cost for the 8gb then they are at least turning a profit on the 16gb. 50 dollar upgrade for 1.50 more expensive chip. Hell a sandisk 64 GB micro SD card is only 41 dollars on amazon and that is with a profit for sandisk and the seller. Never understood the price increases for more memory. 50-100 extra dollars for 3 bucks cost in memory.

    You want to know the real reason there is no SD card slot in the N4? Have a 300 dollar phone at cost with a more desirable phone sold at a profit. Genius.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    704 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    If it's not a Nexus device its not going to give the Nexus 4 a run for its money.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by:
    Mac58 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Also a big reason why the benchmarks are inaccurate in comparison to actually using the phone is because they aren't optimized for 4.2 yet.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    - Motorola Atrix 2 - Nexus 7 - Nexus 4
  15. #15  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by phstrat View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I really want the Nexus 4 however the two biggies that are holding me back are,
    1) The extreme fragileness of the Nexus...seems very easy to crack the glass with just a small drop...
    2) Lack of sd card

    My limited research has lead me to one phone that is compatible both price and spec-wise to the Nexus 4...
    and of course it's from CHINA:

    Huawei U9508 Honor Glory II Quad-Core 1.4GHz 4.5 inch IPS Retinal Screen 2G RAM Android 4.0 ICS 8.0MP Gorilla Glass


    I found this phone as low as $345.00


    It's basically a Huawei Ascend D1 with 2G Ram and a slightly different form factor...and has only been available for only a couple of weeks.
    It come with ICS 4.0.4 and an micro sc card slot to 32GB and has WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz

    Con's:
    1) Won't see nearly the support from the Dev community for custom Roms and such
    2) Will it have a good selection of accessories like cases, screen protectors?

    I currently have the Huawei Mercury and it's a tough little phone that can handle some abuse so hopefully Glory II will as well.


    What are your thoughts on this phone?
    Are there any other smartphones that can compete with the Nexus 4 at it's price point?
    why not just get a subsidized phone on a carrier then? is prepaid your only option? do you need a phone that can be used anywhere in the world (gsm)?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by phstrat View Post
    That's not very nice now is it? I'm not here to discredit the N4, just throw out some potential debating point...you seem to have a nasty side to you...life is to short buddy...
    I don't mean to sound nasty...just direct. If you don't like something on the N4, why start a thread about about it? If strangers here tell you that you've lost your mind and you should buy the N4, would you do it? I doubt it. There are a lot of great devices out there and we all have different things we're looking for. So if you're looking for something other than what the N4 has, buy that and be happy. You are exactly right..."life is to short." Why waste it focusing on things you don't like? Ge the Huawei and you wont have to worry about breaking the glass back of the N4. The only thing I see that you'll be missing are the instant updates of whatever the latest OS happens to be. If that's not important to you, don't get this phone.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Mac58 and Racer X like this.
  17. #17  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    If they are at cost or near cost for the 8gb then they are at least turning a profit on the 16gb. 50 dollar upgrade for 1.50 more expensive chip. Hell a sandisk 64 GB micro SD card is only 41 dollars on amazon and that is with a profit for sandisk and the seller. Never understood the price increases for more memory. 50-100 extra dollars for 3 bucks cost in memory.

    You want to know the real reason there is no SD card slot in the N4? Have a 300 dollar phone at cost with a more desirable phone sold at a profit. Genius.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    you just read my mind, sir. although i don't think any of the nexus devices have sd cards, do they? google said something about not including them, forgot what they said
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by celliott96 View Post
    Also a big reason why the benchmarks are inaccurate in comparison to actually using the phone is because they aren't optimized for 4.2 yet.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    good point...I still want the N4 very badly...but ima wait awhile till there are better cases and cheap screen protectors...plus they're having to produce them at such a high rate right now that there is the potential for quality control issues...ima wait till the smoke clears a little before deciding...
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    phstrat's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I don't mean to sound nasty...just direct. If you don't like something on the N4, why start a thread about about it? If strangers here tell you that you've lost your mind and you should buy the N4, would you do it? I doubt it. There are a lot of great devices out there and we all have different things we're looking for. So if you're looking for something other than what the N4 has, buy that and be happy. You are exactly right..."life is to short." Why waste it focusing on things you don't like? Ge the Huawei and you wont have to worry about breaking the glass back of the N4. The only thing I see that you'll be missing are the instant updates of whatever the latest OS happens to be. If that's not important to you, don't get this phone.
    the Huawei forum is dead...why post there...the N4 is something I'm interested in..maybe by posting here in a more popular forum people can see a device that is comparable to the N4 as a possible option....do you have a problem with that? I'm not saying you should buy the Huawei over the Nexus, just posting possible alternatives...which if I was a visitor to this forum I might find interesting and want to research the device...I never said I didn't like the N4, that is something you assumed...you seem to want nothing but fanboi posts...which is shallow and sad...
  20. #20  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,754 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by phstrat View Post
    The N4 doesn't benchmark very well on some things...like SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

    a very high 1800 (confirmation appriciated)...my single core 1.4GHz snapdragon scorpion Huawei Merc does 2100...Apple 5 is 900..
    The Huawei Glory II would prolly smoke the N4 spec-wise on a hardware level...Huawei isn't some fly by night tech company...they are the leading telecom company in China and actually make their own SOC integrated circuits as well as state of the art cellular networking infrastructure..but for the most part they are feared and scorned by Americian's...just look at the comments on any press release on Engadget regarding Huawei devices...damn commies
    plus the Glory II would be a much sturdier phone that one wouldn't have to constantly worry about breaking via a 3 foot drop to the hard concrete...
    Lulz.

    Benchmarks.

    How is this even being debated?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Huawhat?
    Comes with Ics? A skinned version, I would guess. Wonder how long to update that?
    Um this is 4.2.1 the latest aosp stuff.
    It's all about software.

    Sent from my Toro ()
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    MERCDROID's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Get a used Galaxy Nexus like I did. $260. No glass back. No sd card, but there's plenty of space. And FYI, you're in the Nexus 4 forum asking what phone is better to get than the Nexus 4 lol. The Nexus is selling an experience, not just the phone. No Nexus phone will have an sd card; so if that's an issue to you, then you will never buy a Nexus phone regardless if it has a glass back or not. These guys just got their phones; so to see a thread asking them if there's a better phone to get just screams of "attack me." Don't be surprised if you get less than desirable comments posted in this thread. Get what you can afford and what will make you happy. No one in here can help you with that. Happy hunting
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    Get a used Galaxy Nexus like I did. $260. No glass back. No sd card, but there's plenty of space. And FYI, you're in the Nexus 4 forum asking what phone is better to get than the Nexus 4 lol. The Nexus is selling an experience, not just the phone. No Nexus phone will have an sd card; so if that's an issue to you, then you will never buy a Nexus phone regardless if it has a glass back or not. These guys just got their phones; so to see a thread asking them if there's a better phone to get just screams of "attack me." Don't be surprised if you get less than desirable comments posted in this thread. Get what you can afford and what will make you happy. No one in here can help you with that. Happy hunting
    said it all.

    /thread
    MERCDROID likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    Get a used Galaxy Nexus like I did. $260. No glass back. No sd card, but there's plenty of space. And FYI, you're in the Nexus 4 forum asking what phone is better to get than the Nexus 4 lol. The Nexus is selling an experience, not just the phone. No Nexus phone will have an sd card; so if that's an issue to you, then you will never buy a Nexus phone regardless if it has a glass back or not. These guys just got their phones; so to see a thread asking them if there's a better phone to get just screams of "attack me." Don't be surprised if you get less than desirable comments posted in this thread. Get what you can afford and what will make you happy. No one in here can help you with that. Happy hunting
    I would do exactly this, but I can't see the benefit of saving $40-50 to take a pretty significant downgrade in RAM and processor speed. My current phone sucks, but not so badly I can't wait another month. If I start seeing GSM GNex for $200 before Google gets around to shipping my N4, I might change my mind, especially since I really need to be able to get a good case and a lot of the 'usual suspects' don't look like they're planning on making them for the N4.
  25. #25  
    MERCDROID's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Phones that give the Nexus 4 a run for the money in both price and performance?

    Quote Originally Posted by saeufer View Post
    I would do exactly this, but I can't see the benefit of saving $40-50 to take a pretty significant downgrade in RAM and processor speed. My current phone sucks, but not so badly I can't wait another month. If I start seeing GSM GNex for $200 before Google gets around to shipping my N4, I might change my mind, especially since I really need to be able to get a good case and a lot of the 'usual suspects' don't look like they're planning on making them for the N4.
    I actually agree with you. But, I took the plunge because I was planning to cancel my Verizon contract last month, which I did. If I had waited for the Nexus 4, I would still be paying $100 for the next 2, possibly 3 months. That's $200 right there. Add in the ETF, which would be between $240 and $260; the cost of the Nexus 4 ($335 for 8GB), and the initial cost of the Walmart Family Mobile plan ($50), and I'm looking at spending $835, at a minimum. However, if you take my ETF ($270), the Galaxy Nexus ($265), and the initial cost of the plan ($50), the total comes out to $585. That's a savings of $250 right there. If you can make the math work for you, then I say totally go for the Nexus 4 or the Galaxy Nexus. You can definitely find a better deal than I did if you shop around. But, where I am, the number of locals selling Galaxy Nexii is population 5 and dwindling. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buy the s3 or wait for the new nexus ?
    By android010 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  2. Are Nexus Otterbox cases for the Verizon or the GSM version?
    By FreakyLocz14 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 03:09 AM
  3. Galaxy Nexus: Hardware Optimized for the Software?
    By diesteldorf in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
  4. Nexus Purchase Timing for the Cost Conscious
    By dapercy in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 01:07 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

B