Poor Reception Issue

salam0506

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I bought my Nexus 4 from google and got it a few days ago (I am in the UK), and only just started using it 2 days ago and the reception seems to be very low at home. I was on blackberry before with the same SIM card that I chopped down to stick into the Nexus and it has gone from full bars on the Blackberry to usually 2 on the Nexus. Sometimes it jumps up to full but then drops down again after5-10mins or even less sometimes. I have tried another SIM from giffgaff which is the same network and still no better. I do have quite a few apps installed as when I used my google account to sign in it automatically downloaded all the apps I had on my tablet. Also yesterday there was an "android update to 4.2" which took a few minutes to complete. I'm not sure but it have become worse since then. If I do a factory reset will it revert back? Also if I do a factory reset and sign in with my google account is there any way to stop it from downloading all of those apps?
What apps should I look out for that some people think may have caused this problem?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Seenan

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
"Bars" can be so unreliable (didn't Apple suffer some embarrassment over that with an early iPhone model?). Try this: on your N4, go to Settings, About phone, Status and make a note of the value shown for Signal Strength.

Figure out how to do the same on your Blackberry and compare these actual numbers.

salam0506

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I checked the signal strength and my N4 is showing -101 dB whilst the BB is showing -70dB and they are on the same network next to each other. Also the N4 sometimes has no reception at all, "Emergency calls only". I think it must have something to do with the update that andriod put out the other day or an app. Does anyone know if I do a factory reset will it revert back to the original OS version? And how to stop google from installing all the apps I had on my tablet which is linked to the same google account>

"Bars" can be so unreliable (didn't Apple suffer some embarrassment over that with an early iPhone model?). Try this: on your N4, go to Settings, About phone, Status and make a note of the value shown for Signal Strength.

Figure out how to do the same on your Blackberry and compare these actual numbers.

salam0506

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Could someone "bump" this as I am having No Joy at the minute. I tried the key combination to get into the "phone testing" menu so the radio settings can be changed to LTE or GSM etc, I played around with them and it showed that when I changed the settings to LTE the signal jumped up to -71 dB for a minute or so and then went back down again. Does ANYONE have any advice as to why this is happening - I have done a factory reset and not signed in to my google account and still getting the same issue.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Virgin Mobile in Canada (so on Bell) and I have really bad reception issues as well. Not sure I am going to keep it. Maybe just return it within the window and buy again later after some fixes have been deployed. My phone is basically unusable indoors.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just gonna create a thread regarding this I've been using the phone for a while but had different network Simon it compared to my Blackberry, today I've put both Vodafone UK sims in the Nexus and Blackberry Bold 9780 and the BB has full bars 3G and Nexus fluctuates between 0-2 bars. Nexus = -101 dBm 6 asu and BB = -70 dBm is the phone faulty or has it just got weaker signal than the Berry? Anyone else experience weaker signal than their previous phone?

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Bump.

Vodafone UK. Nexus 4 showing at best at -99dBm, usually over 101-113 depending on the room, inside my flat (apartment) . I've had a couple of calls drop.
Old, non smartphone has almost max bars ( no way to measure dBm)
Is this the network or the phone?

Wifi signal is -56 according to network signal app, and that's 5 foot from router.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm on tmobile US and mine stays around -95dbm inside. I haven't had any drop calls or anything but the signal on my gs3 stayed around -72 and I thought that was bad. My boyfriend has a nexus and his hovers around -98. I think its just the radios in the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

leemaverickly

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
go to settings, more, mobile networks,click 'use only 2g networks'. I had very bad 3G reception too but mine 2G signal is very strong everywhere. This is a good solution when we are home since we have wifi at home no need to use 3G at all.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your old non smartphone is probably 2g only which explains the receptions difference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

oflife

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got a Nexus 4 and am on Vodafone. In the very same locations where my other two Vodafone connected phones (an iPhone and a Blackberry) get a good signal, I get weak to No signal on the Nexus. Getting -101 6 Asu as I type this and even my text messages won't go through. This is NOT a user issue. I have a Blackberry right next to it with 4 bars. The Nexus gets 2. Pity, as the phone is very nice.

SimonJBrown

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Arrived here with same issue.
I live in a poor reception area, I have to plce phone on window ledge.
I have a works blackberry sat next to my new Nexus 4, both on o2 network.
The blackberry has a couple bars, and a signal.. the Nexus has no bars and emergency calls only.

Is this a phone fault?
Hope not as I like the phone but it is little use to me if I cannot get a signal!!

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
go to settings, more, mobile networks,click 'use only 2g networks'. I had very bad 3G reception too but mine 2G signal is very strong everywhere. This is a good solution when we are home since we have wifi at home no need to use 3G at all.

This is good to know. I just tried it and received a 10dbm difference.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Same issue. It has gotten worse and worse lately. It may be a radio issue with the Nexus 4. Either way, it's very inconvenient. Although I've had this phone since early December, it may be time for a new phone.

str8pipe

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know if there is a solution to fix this. My Nexus 4 is basically a tablet with a small screen. I travelled 1800km from North Bay to Winnipeg and I only had signal approximately 5% of the time.

chukka63

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been moaning about the reception of my loved N4 (before i realised it had crap reception).I'm seriously considering getting rid of it as it's useless to me if i can't make/receive calls etc.Shame as the rest of the phone is great.
P.S., i've contacted google and they are replacing the handset but i'm not confident this will end the problem.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been moaning about the reception of my loved N4 (before i realised it had crap reception).I'm seriously considering getting rid of it as it's useless to me if i can't make/receive calls etc.Shame as the rest of the phone is great.
P.S., i've contacted google and they are replacing the handset but i'm not confident this will end the problem.

Did you receive the replacement? did it solve the problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674