Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation A long time to charge from the included charger

I have had my phone 2 days now and each night I charged them. The first night it went on the charger at 17%, and 7 hours later it was at 99%. Last night I burned the battery all the way down to reset it. I put it on the charger and it was on there for about 10 hours give or take 30 minutes. This morning it was at 98%. I plugged the charger back in and left it another 30 minutes or so and it finally said "Charged". Last night it was off while charging; the first night it was left on.

Has anyone else experienced this? After the 3rd charge (this morning for an additional 30 minutes after unplugging it at 98%) I saw "Charged" for the first time on this phone. After about 10 minutes of use it was already down to 98%.

Default Re: A long time to charge from the included charger

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoman667 View Post
    I have had my phone 2 days now and each night I charged them. The first night it went on the charger at 17%, and 7 hours later it was at 99%. Last night I burned the battery all the way down to reset it. I put it on the charger and it was on there for about 10 hours give or take 30 minutes. This morning it was at 98%. I plugged the charger back in and left it another 30 minutes or so and it finally said "Charged". Last night it was off while charging; the first night it was left on.

Has anyone else experienced this? After the 3rd charge (this morning for an additional 30 minutes after unplugging it at 98%) I saw "Charged" for the first time on this phone. After about 10 minutes of use it was already down to 98%.
    I don't have mine yet... What is the rated output of the charger?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    I don't have mine yet... What is the rated output of the charger?
    I haven't looked but it's the stock charger so it should be sufficient.

I haven't looked but it's the stock charger so it should be sufficient.
    Sufficient.. Yes... but you have to remember this is a high capacity battery, so if the rated output is low, it can take a long time.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sufficient.. Yes... but you have to remember this is a high capacity battery, so if the rated output is low, it can take a long time.
    Agreed but others have posted that theirs fully charges in fewer hours then my 10+. I understand about waiting a few weeks but I do not remember this kind of issue when I got my 2 Nexus S's last year (brand new).

Agreed but others have posted that theirs fully charges in fewer hours then my 10+. I understand about waiting a few weeks but I do not remember this kind of issue when I got my 2 Nexus S's last year (brand new).
    Well what you can try, in the meantime is a different wall charger, find one that closest represents the Nexus 4 one. Just ensure the Voltage output is not higher (Amperage is fine). If that works better than you might just have a fubar charger.

Something isn't right, can you try another charger? Or just plug it into your computer and charge it that way? Plugged into the wall mine takes no more than 3 hours to go from below 20% to fully charged. On usb it depends on the computer it's plugged into, on my machine with an Asus motherboard equipped with Ai charger it takes the same roughly 3 hours max, on my wife's PC it takes about 4-5 hours.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok, specs on my "Travel Charger" from the N4 box:

Model: MCS-01WR
    Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.2A(0,2A)
    Output: 5.0V = 1.2A(5,0V = 1,2A)

My phone dropped to 93% in 30 minutes so I threw it up on my Seidio Desktop Charger for Samsung Devices (Model: CRDSISSX1) and it charged to full in 10 minutes or so. Are these chargers underrated for the phones they are packaged with??
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The charger thats included freaking sucks. the one i have from my old phone charges the phone soooo much faster.

It depends what you put it in. If it goes into a power supply with other things plugged in, the power will be shared. Plug it into a wall by itself and take a look....
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    It depends what you put it in. If it goes into a power supply with other things plugged in, the power will be shared. Plug it into a wall by itself and take a look....
    Mine is plugged directly into the wall. Only other thing plugged into the wall with it is my alarm clock. My iPhones always charged speedily on the same.

In comparison, what is the output of that other charger? The higher the amperage, the faster a battery will charge.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

In comparison, what is the output of that other charger? The higher the amperage, the faster a battery will charge.
    5.15V = 1A

Its the charger that came with my Logitech Darkfield Mouse.

5.15V = 1A

Its the charger that came with my Logitech Darkfield Mouse.
    I'm no electronic engineer, but I would stay away from using anything with higher voltage to charge a battery.... Now it's only .15v higher, so I can't say for certain if that's a wise choice.

Either way, if it has a lower Amperage but charges faster than the travel charger, then there must be something wrong with your Nexus 4 Charger.

could be a faulty charger
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Tonight I will the dock to charge it and see what happens.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed charging is slow with the charger.

Page 5 of this document http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-Guidebook.pdf indicates that the N4 ships with a 5Volt, 2Amp charger. However, like the OP's, mine came with a 1.2Amp charger.

I don't know if this is a charging issue exactly, or simply the difference between when the device recognizes the difference between 99% and 100% of charge. I would like the OP to tell us what state of charge exists after 1 hour of plug time, 2 hours of plug time, etc.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Page 5 of this document http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-Guidebook.pdf indicates that the N4 ships with a 5Volt, 2Amp charger. However, like the OP's, mine came with a 1.2Amp charger.

I don't know if this is a charging issue exactly, or simply the difference between when the device recognizes the difference between 99% and 100% of charge. I would like the OP to tell us what state of charge exists after 1 hour of plug time, 2 hours of plug time, etc.
    I will see if I can remember but I am usually asleep while it charges.

That pdf is BS because my charger says 1.2A

Have a look at the battery status while it is charging - see if it says Charging (AC) or Charging (USB). If it says USB then it will have switched to a lower power draw mode and take a lot longer to charge. If it does show USB then this might indicate a problem with the charger or the USB cable. Try pushing the USB cable fully into the charger. Try swapping the USB cable to a different one , otherwise a problem charger.

Quote Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
    As for "don't have it plugged in with other stuff as the power is shared". The Amp rating of a power supply, cable, multi-socket, wall socket etc are just the maximum ratings that these devices can safely supply. If you try to request more power than that then they will usually heat up and possibly burn out.

Therefore a 15amp socket can supply a maximum of 1.8Kw at 120v (wihout going into power factors etc).. The input of a charger is about 0.2A or about 24W at 120v. So you could have about 75 wall chargers plugged into the one socket (barring power loss through the multi sockets) before you might find problems sharing power. This little draw is unlikely to be affected by any regular devices you are sharing the power socket with. You'd already be risking your house burning down before it affected the charger.

I've been using about 3-4 different wall chargers to see which one charges the fastest.

1. Stock LG charger
    2. Apple iPhone charger
    3. Griffin Micro Powerblock
    4. Apple iPad charger

Out of all 4, the iPad charges the fastest for the obvious reasons. But the other 3 vary charging times and I'm not really sure why because they all have the same specs.

Isn't this just a product of the phone/charger going into trickle charge mode after being fully charged? ie, it fully charged to 100% at some point over the night, and once it did, it was on trickle charge until you picked up the phone when you woke up