why doesn't android have a t9 dialer?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
he's talking about t9 dialer, not typing. like you are trying to call michael, all you have to type is 6(MNO) 4(GHI) 4(GHI). and the name will come up, very helpful. i don't know why android doesn't have it, htc sense skin has it. this is the one feature i def miss for going to pure android.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
You mean like if you want to call Steve you dial 78383? It does that....I do it all the time. Just make sure you tap on the person's name before you dial, otherwise you'll just call 78383.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
he's talking about t9 dialer, not typing. like you are trying to call michael, all you have to type is 6(MNO) 4(GHI) 4(GHI). and the name will come up, very helpful. i don't know why android doesn't have it, htc sense skin has it. this is the one feature i def miss for going to pure android.
If you mean that starting to type names pops up a list of contacts that you can choose from, then yes, that's a cool feature I'm missing from TouchWiz, too. Is there an app that can patch that back in?

EDIT: A quick search found this, amongst others: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bS5jb290ZWsuc21hcnRkaWFsZXIiXQ&token=NjfMVI6b..

It's a replacement dialer. It appears there are tons to choose from.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If you mean that starting to type names pops up a list of contacts that you can choose from, then yes, that's a cool feature I'm missing from TouchWiz, too. Is there an app that can patch that back in?

yeah, there's app that does it, not sure how good they are.

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
People about Sense, but this is one of those good things it has. I just use Holo Launcher on top of it.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Just download Dialer One. It's free and does exactly what you want. That's one of the great things about the Android platform...plenty of apps to let you do whatever you want with your phone.

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Every skin has a T9 dialer. No major manufacturer would make a phone without it. It's nothing special. The article is about pure Android (Nexus devices).

Tapped from my SCH - I535 using VZW stock Jelly Bean

phstrat

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
on ICS, don't know about jellybean, there's a widget for direct dial to a contact...you can put a number of these widgets in a folder on a home screen for one touch dialing...well actually two touches if grouped into a folder...one for a single widget on home screen..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2