Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

    What should I do?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

    What should I do?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser
    It's not working with the Dolphin HD browser either. I don't think that the browser is the problem.

    EDIT:
    I guess it was the browser after all. It works with Firefox, so I guess Firefox will be my browser of choice

    EDIT 2:
    I just found the .apk file for the old stock Android browser, as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by FreakyLocz14; 12-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Flash is dead, and no longer supported by Adobe.
    Yes.... but it still works since a lot of sites have not converted to HTML5 yet
    FreakyLocz14 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.
    Okay, but this isn't a thread debating why developers are not using HTML5. Id rather just get flash working than complain to every webmaster I come across using flash still
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Silly question-tried restarting your phone?
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.
    Flash is not dead. It is dying, but it won't be dead until it stops being so widely used on websites. Flash still dominates HTML5 in that arena, and it makes no sense for Google to just suddenly stop supporting it when it is still so widely used. Did you really expect every site that uses Flash to switch to HTML5 overnight?

    Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Silly question-tried restarting your phone?
    Yes, and to no avail.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by FreakyLocz14; 12-03-2012 at 02:39 AM.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    I got it to work with XSCOPE.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

    These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

    I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

    Really Google?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Antoan Arnaudov View Post
    Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

    These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

    I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

    Really Google?
    When I get my Nexus I will get out a working flash for our devices and the instructions
  11. #11  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Antoan Arnaudov View Post
    Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

    These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

    I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

    Really Google?
    It's not Google but Adobe that stopped mobile Flash development. What's Google supposed to do? Support a feature that was abandoned by the developer?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    I used similar measures to force install of Flash on my Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 tablet and immediately started having multiple browser crashes every hour as well as other problems.

    I was never a fan of Flash as it has a long history of causing problems with desktop browsers, however there are way too many sites which are useless without a flash viewer.

    At any rate, based on my experience with the Samsung tablet, I have decided not to repeat the mistake with my N4.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

    Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.
    . Flash is used by 21.5% of all the websites that are online.

    Here are a few websites that still use flash, none of them are really popular, or anything


    Yahoo.com
    Twitter.com
    Sina.com.cn
    163.com
    Go.com
    Bbc.co.uk
    Youku.com
    Flickr.com
    Ifeng.com
    Youtube.com
    Hulu.com

    I'm going to give youtube a call and tell them to stop being lazy.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    I haven't used flash in some time and I don't ever recall not being able to view a YouTube submission.
    Turned off flash on my browser, can no longer watch videos.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    LOL... yet on my Nexus 4, I can watch them just fine.
    In the browser, or does it open the YouTube app?


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    bilago likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    In the browser, or does it open the YouTube app?


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

    The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    In Chrome... (m.YouTube.com)
    Do I need to mention m.youtube.com is the mobile version of the website... not the full featured youtube.com

    Not to also mention m.youtube.com uses the RTP protocol to stream the videos to your phone, which again, isn't HTML5
    gone down south likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

    Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.
    So this statement only was directed to the mobile device?
    Again, you're missing the point, or just being too arrogant on your position , because it's beyond clear that a lot of popular sites still use flash. Just because there is a mobile version of a watered down youtube doesn't justify to not support Adobe's flash.

    This is getting redundant, but here is more info for youtube.com


    In order to watch videos on our site, make sure you have the following minimum system requirements:

    General System Requirements:

    Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22+ plug-in
    Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
    Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps

    Moving forward in this thread, like i stated previously, once I obtain my Nexus 4 I will build out a compatible version of flash that will also let you view android restricted flash videos including Hulu, ABC etc.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

    Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.
    This is a ridiculous perspective. Whether or not you develop with Flash is irrelevant. There are thousands upon thousands of web sites that use flash. I would guess that most people don't care if a web sites development is up to the current technological spec or not...they just wont to be able to view it. Flash will not magically go away because Adobe no longer supports it, so neither should my phones ability to view it. Having said that, the solution is easy...just don't use Chrome.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    , boom, Flash not necessary. Unfortunately there's no way to push advertising through html5 video as well as Flash does so html5 isn't going to pay the bills for Web developers whom have big name clients whose advertising income base is heavily invested in Flash. Web developers can rarely work probono so if the client insists on Flash what are your options?

    I installed the apk successfully on my N4,I still wish Flash was dead though.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    I don't know why you feel the necessity to make this personal, but putting that aside, it has been over a year since Adobe confirmed flash is dead on mobile platforms. And yes, we're in an Android forum so I am clearly discussing a mobile platform, but frankly, I think flash in general is on shaky ground.
    You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.
    greydarrah likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    No. I thought the context of this discussion was that of a mobile device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.
    I think the majority of people posting here are missing the point of this thread actually. The OP wanted to know how to get flash on his Nexus 4, not debate the current situation of HTML5 vs Flash. Back on topic folks.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

    What should I do?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    I got it from link below...

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2308779

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

    The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.
    A lot of videos that I watch aren't available for the mobile app, because the uploaders believed that it was bad for their viewers to watch their videos on their mobile devices for some reason. In those cases, all I needed to do was go to the desktop site, and watch the video in full screen mode.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

    I'm using Firefox on my N4, last Android Flash installed from that .apk. I'm signed up for the YouTube HTML5 Trial. The latest Android Firefox supports h.264 and WebM but videos tapped on through the site still direct my browser to open YouTube.app unless I view the desktop site. YouTube videos embedded in third party sites utilize the HTML5 playback because the interface is different, especially lacking anything to tap to make the videos full screen or to view directly on YouTube.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a app or apps to replace the adobe flash player to view sites??
    By donatosmoosey in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM
  2. Adobe Flash player not working on Motorola Droid 2 Global
    By Dagon327 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 08:26 AM
  3. "support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web."
    By ffoghorn in forum AT&T LG Phoenix/Thrive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM
  4. Honeycomb 3.0 & Adobe flash player On Nook Color
    By Jim75th in forum Android 3.0 Honeycomb
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
  5. No Flash Player for the Cliq?
    By kn0t in forum Motorola Cliq and Dext
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

B