Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

What should I do?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

What should I do?

I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bilago View Post
    I'm 99% sure that Google Chrome does not support flash. Try using another browser
    It's not working with the Dolphin HD browser either. I don't think that the browser is the problem.

EDIT:
    I guess it was the browser after all. It works with Firefox, so I guess Firefox will be my browser of choice

EDIT 2:
    I just found the .apk file for the old stock Android browser, as well.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; 12-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Flash is dead, and no longer supported by Adobe.
    Yes.... but it still works since a lot of sites have not converted to HTML5 yet
    FreakyLocz14 likes this.

I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.
    Okay, but this isn't a thread debating why developers are not using HTML5. Id rather just get flash working than complain to every webmaster I come across using flash still

Silly question-tried restarting your phone?
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I recommend complaining to the webmaster for any sites that are still using flash. They are clearly lazy.
    Flash is not dead. It is dying, but it won't be dead until it stops being so widely used on websites. Flash still dominates HTML5 in that arena, and it makes no sense for Google to just suddenly stop supporting it when it is still so widely used. Did you really expect every site that uses Flash to switch to HTML5 overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Silly question-tried restarting your phone?
    Yes, and to no avail.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; 12-03-2012 at 02:39 AM.

I got it to work with XSCOPE.

Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

Really Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Antoan Arnaudov View Post
    Removing the Flash plugin from Nexus 4 was the second worst decision from Google after removing the full screen browing. Both were present in the stock Galaxy Nexus browser.

These two features are vital for a modern smartphone because of the limitted phone screen space and because of the so widely spread flash based web sites. These are not some isolated amateur sites but major sitels like: google finance, bbc.com, battle.net, imdb and all movie official sites. They're not legacy sites which remains to be converted to HTML 5 but brand new sites developed in Flash.

I was smiling at iPhone users for missing these features and now I end up in the same $&!@.

Really Google?
    When I get my Nexus I will get out a working flash for our devices and the instructions

Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Antoan Arnaudov View Post

Really Google?
    It's not Google but Adobe that stopped mobile Flash development. What's Google supposed to do? Support a feature that was abandoned by the developer?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

I used similar measures to force install of Flash on my Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 tablet and immediately started having multiple browser crashes every hour as well as other problems.

I was never a fan of Flash as it has a long history of causing problems with desktop browsers, however there are way too many sites which are useless without a flash viewer.

At any rate, based on my experience with the Samsung tablet, I have decided not to repeat the mistake with my N4.

No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.
    . Flash is used by 21.5% of all the websites that are online.

Here are a few websites that still use flash, none of them are really popular, or anything

Yahoo.com
    Twitter.com
    Sina.com.cn
    163.com
    Go.com
    Bbc.co.uk
    Youku.com
    Flickr.com
    Ifeng.com
    Youtube.com
    Hulu.com

I'm going to give youtube a call and tell them to stop being lazy.

I haven't used flash in some time and I don't ever recall not being able to view a YouTube submission.
    Turned off flash on my browser, can no longer watch videos.

LOL... yet on my Nexus 4, I can watch them just fine.
    In the browser, or does it open the YouTube app?

bilago likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    In the browser, or does it open the YouTube app?

Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.

In Chrome... (m.YouTube.com)
    Do I need to mention m.youtube.com is the mobile version of the website... not the full featured youtube.com

Not to also mention m.youtube.com uses the RTP protocol to stream the videos to your phone, which again, isn't HTML5
    gone down south likes this.

No... as a web developer, I expected other web developers to have attended to this long ago. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.

Frankly, the only reason for sites not to be updated by now is either laziness or webmasters that don't give a crap about their clients' users.
    So this statement only was directed to the mobile device?
    Again, you're missing the point, or just being too arrogant on your position , because it's beyond clear that a lot of popular sites still use flash. Just because there is a mobile version of a watered down youtube doesn't justify to not support Adobe's flash.

This is getting redundant, but here is more info for youtube.com

In order to watch videos on our site, make sure you have the following minimum system requirements:

General System Requirements:

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22+ plug-in
    Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
    Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps

Moving forward in this thread, like i stated previously, once I obtain my Nexus 4 I will build out a compatible version of flash that will also let you view android restricted flash videos including Hulu, ABC etc.

This is a ridiculous perspective. Whether or not you develop with Flash is irrelevant. There are thousands upon thousands of web sites that use flash. I would guess that most people don't care if a web sites development is up to the current technological spec or not...they just wont to be able to view it. Flash will not magically go away because Adobe no longer supports it, so neither should my phones ability to view it. Having said that, the solution is easy...just don't use Chrome.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

, boom, Flash not necessary. Unfortunately there's no way to push advertising through html5 video as well as Flash does so html5 isn't going to pay the bills for Web developers whom have big name clients whose advertising income base is heavily invested in Flash. Web developers can rarely work probono so if the client insists on Flash what are your options?

I installed the apk successfully on my N4,I still wish Flash was dead though.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5

I don't know why you feel the necessity to make this personal, but putting that aside, it has been over a year since Adobe confirmed flash is dead on mobile platforms. And yes, we're in an Android forum so I am clearly discussing a mobile platform, but frankly, I think flash in general is on shaky ground.
    You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.
    greydarrah likes this.

No. I thought the context of this discussion was that of a mobile device.
    You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.
    I think the majority of people posting here are missing the point of this thread actually. The OP wanted to know how to get flash on his Nexus 4, not debate the current situation of HTML5 vs Flash. Back on topic folks.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post

What should I do?

I got it from link below...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2308779

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.
    A lot of videos that I watch aren't available for the mobile app, because the uploaders believed that it was bad for their viewers to watch their videos on their mobile devices for some reason. In those cases, all I needed to do was go to the desktop site, and watch the video in full screen mode.

I'm using Firefox on my N4, last Android Flash installed from that .apk. I'm signed up for the YouTube HTML5 Trial. The latest Android Firefox supports h.264 and WebM but videos tapped on through the site still direct my browser to open YouTube.app unless I view the desktop site. YouTube videos embedded in third party sites utilize the HTML5 playback because the interface is different, especially lacking anything to tap to make the videos full screen or to view directly on YouTube.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast