Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By willdogs
  • 2 Post By zrxoa1
  • 1 Post By SpicyBigDad
  • 1 Post By rickydavis1051
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for honest opinion about N4

Hey guys, I ordered a N4 yesterday and am quite excited about it, but at the same time a little ambivalent after reading a lot of these posts. I have a GS3 through AT&t right now and it is by far the most incredible phone I've ever had. My plan was to give it to my wife who currently has an iPhone and is just sick of it.
    To be clear, the reason I'm doing this has nothing to do with the GS3. I couldn't have asked for a better phone. It has everything to do with AT&t. I don't root phones and am so sick of never getting an update because At&t doesn't want to do one. I also don't like all of the bloatware they needlessly put on the phone.
    In not expecting the N4 to be as great as the GS3, but damn close. After reading a lot of the post I am concerned that it may not even be close. So many people are writing about problems with their battery and apps not working that I am starting to take pause.
    My alternative is to cancel my order with Google and buy an unlocked GS3. It will cost a bit more, but at least I won't have to have the bloatware and eventually I'll get updates for the os, albeit not nearly as quickly as the N4.
    Sorry for the long rant, but I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Looking for honest opinion about N4

I've been through about 5 android phone launches and when a phone just comes out there are ALWAYS people COMPLAINING about something.

None of it means anything. This is a web forum which represents a very small sample of people who own the phone. I guarantee you that 98% of N4 owners love their phones and use it daily with no issues. They just don't belong to any forums

On forums you will find most people only post when they have an issue. If the phone is working fine, they mostly stay quiet because they are too busy playing with their devices.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Willdogs, thank you for your response. I'm sure you're correct about most people that are happy don't post. I guess I just got a little jaded when I saw so many complaints so quickly. My last two phones I got at launch and was one of the guys who didn't post, because I was too busy playing with it and not having any problems. Appreciate the input.

Sent from my Nexus 7

In my honest opinion this is the best phone I've ever used (Ives used a lot...) I've had no issues with mine, WiFi works great, the screen is excellent, the camera while not perfect is still very good, this thing is incredibly responsive and very smooth to operate, my only real gripes with it are the fear that comes standard of dropping any glass covered phone, and that SME apps have yet to be updated to work properly with 4.2 overall though I would say this phone is easily the best I've ever used. Also as far battery life that would really depend on your use, I'm getting about a days use on a charge (I see no reason not to charge over night) if you constantly stream movies and play games that's not going to happen but in my experience the battery life has been plenty

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I love my Nexus 4. I can't put the thing down! I sold my iPhone 5 and bought this. I am on Verizon with unlimited data, but willing to give it up for the freedom the N4 offers.

I am using an HTC Rezound on my Verizon account but not really thrilled with it. I also have an iPhone 4 which is why I upgraded to the 5 but wanted back on Android.

Like was said above, most owners are happy with their devices. You only read about the few that have problems. Get the nexus, you won't regret it!

simba747 and donec like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

This is what I was hoping to hear. And yes, I think that maybe I'm a little nervous about leaving my phone. The guys on the GS3 forum think I'm crazy, but updates to the os are really that important to me. And I hate bloatware. I bought the Nexus 7 to see what I thought about a pure Google device and so far I've been extremely happy.
    Just to be clear, I did do a search and have found no posts that state someone is leaving the GS3 for a N4. I don't want to ever bash, but the reality is the ip5 is no where close to the GS3. And that is no more than my opinion. The ip5 is an amazing phone to a lot of people. It's just not something I would want. That's why I posted my question and really appreciate the guys who have brought me back to the reality that I'm getting a small sampling when I see the negative posts. On paper the N4 looks to be as robust as the GS3, which is why I'm making the change in the first place. So again, I appreciate everyone who answered my question and I definitely feel better about the purchase and will look forward to getting the N4 in a couple of months. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Regarding the battery issues, it has been stressed many times that you need to give the battery about a week to settle to a more consistent result. A lot of the people posting only had the device for a few days, or have installed a rogue app that does not play nicely on 4.2.1 yet.

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts

If your looking for a phone that gives OS updates and doesn't have the at&t bloatware, than look no further than the N4. Like others said, people on forums just like to complain and don't wanna take the time to post praise. Check out the "first impression" sticky and you will see tons of positive feedback. People sound like scientists nit picking there battery life. I can get through a day without any problems. I keep my N7 wire in the car and the N4 wire bedside. Not that hard to charge the phone if needed.

I wouldn't buy a inter GS3. Wait for the N4 man, it is def worth it.

Super fast OS, stunning screen, and better hardware than the GS3

My opinions of course

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I'm very pleased with my N4, I upgraded from a Tegra 3 One X and it's clearly a better performer.

Plus no manufacturer/carrier bloat.

Global Posts
    1,759 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfast View Post
    The guys on the GS3 forum think I'm crazy, but updates to the os are really that important to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    FYI posting about dedicated thread to one particular device for another is going result in majority of bias negative responses.

You also can search on Google and YouTube for plenty of comparisons between GS3 and the N4.

The GS3 is most popular and probably considered the best mainstream friendly android device.
    The N4 is best Nexus phone to date that tring to break into the mainstream market.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
    I've been through about 5 android phone launches and when a phone just comes out there are ALWAYS people COMPLAINING about something.

None of it means anything. This is a web forum which represents a very small sample of people who own the phone. I guarantee you that 98% of N4 owners love their phones and use it daily with no issues. They just don't belong to any forums

On forums you will find most people only post when they have an issue. If the phone is working fine, they mostly stay quiet because they are too busy playing with their devices.

^this.

If you saw a real problem across the board, you would see hundreds posting "me too" in these threads. When I go to the F150 forum for my new truck, you'd think there wasn't a single working truck ever sold.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    ^this.

If you saw a real problem across the board, you would see hundreds posting "me too" in these threads. When I go to the F150 forum for my new truck, you'd think there wasn't a single working truck ever sold.
    Lol! That's how I feel when I go to the BMW forums. You'd swear they never made one that runs after reading some of the posts there. I'm taking everything with a grain of salt and really appreciate you guys keeping me on the N4. I can't wait! And my wife can't wait to get my GS3, so everybody wins. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Carrier
    Marshmallow!

This is what I was hoping to hear. And yes, I think that maybe I'm a little nervous about leaving my phone. The guys on the GS3 forum think I'm crazy, but updates to the os are really that important to me. And I hate bloatware. I bought the Nexus 7 to see what I thought about a pure Google device and so far I've been extremely happy.
    Just to be clear, I did do a search and have found no posts that state someone is leaving the GS3 for a N4. I don't want to ever bash, but the reality is the ip5 is no where close to the GS3. And that is no more than my opinion. The ip5 is an amazing phone to a lot of people. It's just not something I would want. That's why I posted my question and really appreciate the guys who have brought me back to the reality that I'm getting a small sampling when I see the negative posts. On paper the N4 looks to be as robust as the GS3, which is why I'm making the change in the first place. So again, I appreciate everyone who answered my question and I definitely feel better about the purchase and will look forward to getting the N4 in a couple of months. Thanks!
    The GS3 is a fantastic phone. I've played with several (in stores and owned by friends) and have walked away impressed every time. Nothing wrong with the phone, and yet you can find people complaining about it in various places. I'm willing to bet if you went back into the GS3 forum history to when it was released, you'd find plenty of people posting and complaining about problems. That's just the nature of the newest shiny.

As for the N4, still waiting on mine but I went in knowing what to expect. I too was tired of dealing with delayed updates; the final straw was Motorola's abandonment of my beloved Photon, forever trapping it on Gingerbread. Yes, being on the bleeding edge of software releases means you'll have to deal with bugs in apps not optimized for the latest OS, but on the other hand you'll know a fix will be coming shortly if it's Google's fault. To me, that's worth putting up with the N4's quirks.

Thread cleaned. Side note: telling someone to search is not an answer, and attacking other members and/or derailing threads is not acceptable. I'll be around, otherwise feel free to report any other problem posts. Thanks.

Hey guys, I ordered a N4 yesterday and am quite excited about it, but at the same time a little ambivalent after reading a lot of these posts. I have a GS3 through AT&t right now and it is by far the most incredible phone I've ever had. My plan was to give it to my wife who currently has an iPhone and is just sick of it.
    To be clear, the reason I'm doing this has nothing to do with the GS3. I couldn't have asked for a better phone. It has everything to do with AT&t. I don't root phones and am so sick of never getting an update because At&t doesn't want to do one. I also don't like all of the bloatware they needlessly put on the phone.
    In not expecting the N4 to be as great as the GS3, but damn close. After reading a lot of the post I am concerned that it may not even be close. So many people are writing about problems with their battery and apps not working that I am starting to take pause.
    My alternative is to cancel my order with Google and buy an unlocked GS3. It will cost a bit more, but at least I won't have to have the bloatware and eventually I'll get updates for the os, albeit not nearly as quickly as the N4.
    Sorry for the long rant, but I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    It's great. Don't look back. Unless you watch a lot of YouTube on your cell network you won't even notice not having LTE. Who really cares if an email takes 5 seconds to load instead of 3?
    palitsyn likes this.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

I was going to get an SG3 but Touchwiz, carrier bloatware, slow OS updates, serious cheap plastic feel and that sh*tty home button made me come to my senses, lol.

I chose the N4 and I couldn't be happier.

There are dozens of comparison videos on YouTube. I suggest you view as many as you can then choose which one best suits your specific needs and intended purposes. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Its a great phone. I just love it. I know you will love it. Battery life is great for me anyway. I can get through a day easy.

I agree with what others have said, I love mine and hope you will love yours too. This was my replacement for my aging (and awesome) original droid incredible, and it's amazing how quickly I've managed to get hooked on "modern" conveniences like a larger higher res screen and front facing camera I find it really hard to judge battery life because cell signals barely penetrate where I work and I'm on wifi all the time at home.

I'll give you my honest opinion of it. I really like the phone, but I has its fair share of problems. Results may vary, but these are the problems present its up to you to make sure it won't bother you.
    1) The battery life is worse then my evo lte. The evo lte has a worse battery then the s3. Make your own deductions on battery.
    2) the phone gets really hot from just browsing the web. Strike that. It gets hot whenever the screen is on. This may bother some people.
    3) the phone is kind of slippery. Feels like it could fall out my pocket or off my bed at any moment.
    4) I haven't dropped my phone yet, but it doesn't seem as sturdy as my evo.
    5) my back already has scratches. I don't abuse my phone at all. The back doesn't seem as strong as the front. That concerns me because I don't want the camera part to get scratched.
    6) the speaker gets kind of muzzled when put on its back. More so then other phones at least. Its also easy to cover up.
    7) there's a rattle sound whenever I shake the phone. Some say its the autofocus but my friends gnex and one s don't do it, the latter having a better camera.

Those are all the coins I can think up right now. Some things to keep in mind. First off the battery comparison was being on sprint 3g to T-Mobile 3g (or 4g, whichever you want to call it). Second off if it sounded like I was nitpicking I was. Because something that may not bother me (like the rattle) may bother you. Lastly if you want my overall feelings on the phone then I must say I really like it. Maybe I'm still in the state where you but new technology and it is perfect because you just spent $300 on it plus $350 to terminate your contract. Either way I like the phone. My only concern is that it can take a beating. I normally don't drop my phone so i didn't buy a case or bumper for it (I also feel like it messes up the beauty of the phone. And trust me, you won't know how beautiful this phone truly is until you hold it in your hand). But now I'm wondering if I should at least get a bumper and protection for the glass. Also so far the phone has NEVER lagged on me (not even in the slightest, like reloading the home screen or anything) and I only had to reboot it twice (which is two more then I was expecting).

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

While I don't doubt that there can be devices floating around with issues. Mine arrived in great shape and its exceeded my expectations. I have used around 2 dozen android phones in the last couple of years and I can honestly say, that without question, the Nexus 4 is my favorite.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

I've had the s3 and now the n4. Pretty easy when choosing. U want a phone with all the cool bells and whistles? Getta s3. Want a pure Google android phone that gets updates MONTHS in advance? Getta n4

Sent from my Nexus 4, you jelly bro?
    gone down south likes this.