Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By corance
  • 1 Post By solovln
  • 1 Post By GopherDroid
  • 1 Post By XChrisX
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 is ready for LTE when Tmobile completes install of LTE.

This is why Nexus 4 has a built in LTE band 4 chip, TMobile is setting up LTE right now, so your N4 ought to run in either HSPA or LTE in the very near future.

T-Mobile announces LTE, prepares to take the US wireless market by storm | ExtremeTech

Page 2 - T-Mobile announces LTE, prepares to take the US wireless market by storm | ExtremeTech
    Last edited by mawil1013; 12-02-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    The Practical BBQ'r !

Default Re: Nexus 4 is ready for LTE when Tmobile completes install of LTE.

Yeah I heard about that. Kinda weird how TMobile was the only carrier to sell it in the US and it will work on the lte bands TMobile will use...
    andr0idralphie likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Yeah I heard about that. Kinda weird how TMobile was the only carrier to sell it in the US and it will work on the lte bands TMobile will use...
    Google has a plan and is willing to not make gross or maybe any profits to push things along, I wish I lived in Kansas City for the Google High Speed Internet for $300 for 7 years of mega speed internet, plus there are great rib joints there too! LOL I've got my Nx4 on order, can't wait!
    The Practical BBQ'r !

Until they come out with the next generation of LTE radios, I'm not interested. LTE sucks your battery dry way too fast. It's one of the reasons I don't mind leaving Verizon.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Until they come out with the next generation of LTE radios, I'm not interested. LTE sucks your battery dry way too fast. It's one of the reasons I don't mind leaving Verizon.
    They say the Nexus 4 which is running HSPA+ has a really good battery life, with the quad core running only one core at a time and adding cores as needed, helps keep battery life up. What's seems nice is that you may have a choice with the N4, HSAP+ or LTE, when it comes out. I've been on Blackberry and found whenever there were battery issues it almost always was caused by certain Apps and not making sure running Apps were turned off when done to some Apps running constantly in the background. Running a resource checker helps greatly to locate and force off bully Apps, me , I run as few Apps as possible and if it isn't being used I delete, found battery life to greatly improve following those guidelines.
    The Practical BBQ'r !
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I think Nexus 5 will be ready when T-mobile completes their LTE network. But for people with Nexus 4 and not planning upgrade it will be icing on the cake I guess.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    It's still nice to have the option of LTE or not. Maybe only using it when you absolutely need to blaze along. More options > less options.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

The Practical BBQ'r !

I don't see the need for more than 7 or so megs down and 2 or so megs up for mobile uses, so long as data caps/limits are as low as they are. HSPA+ provides more than that on my Nexus 4. LTE speeds will be nice if the mobile connection ever becomes a viable option to replace home internet. Until then, I don't see what the typical consumer needs the faster speeds for. Sure, emergency professionals and certain work environments could have uses for that amount of bandwidth, but those aren't the typical consumer uses. You don't need much to send email, upload pictures to Facebook, listen to Pandora, and play Angry Birds.
    ColoradoSteve likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by GopherDroid View Post
    I don't see the need for more than 7 or so megs down and 2 or so megs up for mobile uses, so long as data caps/limits are as low as they are. HSPA+ provides more than that on my Nexus 4. LTE speeds will be nice if the mobile connection ever becomes a viable option to replace home internet. Until then, I don't see what the typical consumer needs the faster speeds for. Sure, emergency professionals and certain work environments could have uses for that amount of bandwidth, but those aren't the typical consumer uses. You don't need much to send email, upload pictures to Facebook, listen to Pandora, and play Angry Birds.
    Time Warner internet sucks here, if LTE gets that good, I may end up dumping TW!
    The Practical BBQ'r !

The only problem is T-Mobiles footprint is much smaller than AT&T's, and Verizons. Either way my Nexus 4 is on order, and can't wait to get it up, and running.
    Last edited by ChrisXe; 12-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    Plano26 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    Te only problem is T-Mobiles footprint is much smaller than AT&T's, and Verizons. Either way my Nexus 4 is on order, and can't wait to get it up, and running.
    I've been with tmo a few years, my wife with att, she couldn't wait to get off att. due to poor connections. Just read a report the attention was still rated worse than all other carriers.
    The Practical BBQ'r !

Awesome!! I've been thinking of leaving VZW to get TMobile's $30 prepaid plan. Or I might just get the unlimited data and text and mins plan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    I've been with tmo a few years, my wife with att, she couldn't wait to get off att. due to poor connections. Just read a report the attention was still rated worse than all other carriers.
    I can pull 62mbps down with AT&T LTE though, probably never going to see those speeds with TMO. Going to be a transition going from LTE to HSPA+ but it will be worth it for pure Google. Plus I'm on wifi a lot anyway.

I just returned a Optimus G on Sprint. Waiting on my Nexus 4 which I'm putting on T-Mobile. Sprints crappy network really becomes apparent when you have a good phone. Hopefully the Nexus on T-Mobile doesn't disappoint.

I can pull 62mbps down with AT&T LTE though, probably never going to see those speeds with TMO. Going to be a transition going from LTE to HSPA+ but it will be worth it for pure Google. Plus I'm on wifi a lot anyway.
    What do you do with your phone where you feel a transition between 15 mbps and 62 mbps?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    Time Warner internet sucks here, if LTE gets that good, I may end up dumping TW!
    You really want to deal with data caps for your home internet?

You won't always see 62 mbps with AT&T LTE either. The network is new and it's less loaded than any of the HSPA networks (in terms of subscribers per MHz of spectrum).

You'll never see 62 mbps on T-Mobile's current HSPA deployment because it's well beyond the theoretical maximum rate to a single device, but we don't know the rest of the details about future T-Mobile LTE deployments. They *could* deploy LTE on 20 MHz and at 2x2 MIMO the theoretical rate would be 2x what it is on AT&T now. They could deploy on 4x4 MIMO for that matter if they were willing to bear the expense but none of the current devices are set up with 4 receive antenna, so far as I know, so it'd only be future devices that would see that performance (which would be real-world roughly 4x what you're seeing on AT&T - 2x for the spectrum and 2x for the double spatial layers). Future versions of HSPA will allow for greater numbers of bonded carriers too - instead of just two bonded 5 MHZ carriers there is a future path up to 8 bonded carriers which would give 40 MHz, and could be deployed with 2x2 MIMO as well.

HSPA+ still has a lot of theoretical legs on it, and depending on how T-Mobile wanted to go forward it could stick with HSPA+ and deliver very competitive end user performance. AT&T and Verizon are basically trapped on a single 10 MHz LTE channel until LTE-Advanced appears which allows bonding of non-contiguous channels, and even then only AT&T has LTE on any other band than those in the 700 MHz block.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherDroid View Post
    What do you do with your phone where you feel a transition between 15 mbps and 62 mbps?
    Honestly it's just bragging rights lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by valeuche View Post
    You won't always see 62 mbps with AT&T LTE either. The network is new and it's less loaded than any of the HSPA networks (in terms of subscribers per MHz of spectrum).

You'll never see 62 mbps on T-Mobile's current HSPA deployment because it's well beyond the theoretical maximum rate to a single device, but we don't know the rest of the details about future T-Mobile LTE deployments. They *could* deploy LTE on 20 MHz and at 2x2 MIMO the theoretical rate would be 2x what it is on AT&T now. They could deploy on 4x4 MIMO for that matter if they were willing to bear the expense but none of the current devices are set up with 4 receive antenna, so far as I know, so it'd only be future devices that would see that performance (which would be real-world roughly 4x what you're seeing on AT&T - 2x for the spectrum and 2x for the double spatial layers). Future versions of HSPA will allow for greater numbers of bonded carriers too - instead of just two bonded 5 MHZ carriers there is a future path up to 8 bonded carriers which would give 40 MHz, and could be deployed with 2x2 MIMO as well.

HSPA+ still has a lot of theoretical legs on it, and depending on how T-Mobile wanted to go forward it could stick with HSPA+ and deliver very competitive end user performance. AT&T and Verizon are basically trapped on a single 10 MHz LTE channel until LTE-Advanced appears which allows bonding of non-contiguous channels, and even then only AT&T has LTE on any other band than those in the 700 MHz block.
    Yeah Usually I get 40-52mbps down, and that's good enough for me. Where I work get's really strong LTE signal, but at home not so much.