Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Sim tray Stuck with nano sim adapter please help!

My sim tray is stuck with the sim adapter please help any tips

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 Sim tray Stuck with nano sim adapter please help!

Did you insert it without the nano sim?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yup inserted with out the nano sim

My only tip is keep trying to pull it out because I doubt your willing to take the phone apart.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

I'd say watch a tutorial and teardown your phone till the sim tray is visible then try to work it out, you don't want to to accidently break the pins.... Or you can try to straighten out the sim with a needle without tearing down the phone, best of luck
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    My only tip is keep trying to pull it out because I doubt your willing to take the phone apart.
    I tried to pull with a little more force and i noticed i was bending the top of the sim tray ..45 min wait with google my device is going back. with a possiblity of being charged a restocking fee
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by nazem View Post
    I'd say watch a tutorial and teardown your phone till the sim tray is visible then try to work it out, you don't want to to accidently break the pins.... Or you can try to straighten out the sim with a needle without tearing down the phone, best of luck
    Im not too good with all that. Damaged my movado watch trying to resize it threw away a iphone 3gs trying to fix the screen lol. I'll let LG take care of it because its going back

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lebanonsdon View Post
    yup inserted with out the nano sim
    That's a big no no. Don't know what to tell you unless as suggested you're willing to take it apart. Other than that there's not much you can do, sorry dude.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

I doubt they would give you a restock fee if they fix it because its silly giving out a new one.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    badbrad17 likes this.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I am embarrassed to say I did the exact same thing. I did not want to lose the adaptor so I put it in without the sim. I pulled too hard and broke the front of the tray. Lucky I was able to talk Google into giving me a return. My bigger fear was if I opened it and found out I could still not get it out and I sent it back they would know I opened it and charge me the full price for the new one. Well now just waiting on the new one to get here. Lesson learned.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by captsoto View Post
    I am embarrassed to say I did the exact same thing. I did not want to lose the adaptor so I put it in without the sim. I pulled too hard and broke the front of the tray. Lucky I was able to talk Google into giving me a return. My bigger fear was if I opened it and found out I could still not get it out and I sent it back they would know I opened it and charge me the full price for the new one. Well now just waiting on the new one to get here. Lesson learned.
    mine is on the way back to them with the adapter in it.. wait to you mean to tell me you took the phone apart and then got the sim adapter out? if thats the case im going to do a return to sender open it up take it out and sell it lol

Here's a solution that worked for me: lift the top end of the adaptor and push the nano SIM card into its place between the adaptor and the pins in the phone. Take care it's the right way around to fit into position. Use a paperclip or tiny screwdriver to push it into place. Once in there, it will push the pins down that release the nano SIM and adaptor. You can slide both out like you normally do.

Phew!
    Thanked by:
    one99 

This problem happened to me as well. I purchased my n4 a few days ago and came from an iPhone 5 with nano simcard. I purchased a nano to micro sim adapter in a local store and I could not get it to work with nano sim in the adapter. I then tried it without the nano sim and just the adapter and it got stuck..

After some hours I was able to get it out without damaging anything. Here is how I did it:

• Cut two or three strips of thin hard plastic, e.g. the boxes that headphones or other electronics or packed with. The strips need to have enough length, about 3cm and the width should not be wider than the simcard tray, a bit smaller.
    • Use the ejection tool to get the stuck tray out as far as you can. Mine was just enough to shove my nails under the tray. Once the tray popped out a bit you should try to slide the hard plastic strips next to the simcard adapter, on both sides. Depending on the thickness of the plastic this might not go easy. It is important that the plastic strip is not super easy to bend and that is is pushed as far as you can without using extreme strenght. If it slides in really easy you should try using an extra strip of plastic.

• I then used the ejection tool to get it out a bit further, which i was not able to do before. I then gently pulled the two strips at the same time while also pulling the tray with my nails. I was finally able to get it out a bit more, just enough to slide the nano sim in the adapter. This was not easy and I had to push it in by using a tooth picker. Do not use a needle because it is too sharp and might damage your simcard or other things. Once the card was shoved in I could get the tray out..
    Thanked by 2:
    psiorian, Hoi Hang and JORSSEN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeyer View Post
    ]Cut two or three strips of thin hard plastic
    After seeing this thread last week I gave up, but I checked back here before I called Google.
    Last time I tried with thin cardboard but that didn't work.

But two plastic strips did the trick! Took me 5 minutes this time.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, 3rdeyer - you've made my day today!

Quote Originally Posted by captsoto View Post
    Hi Captsoto, I have the exact same issue. My adapter is still stuck in the tray. I am about to send mine back to google for return, was wondering if they accepted yours and did give you a replacement. Please let us know.

These nano sim cards are a real PITA. I ruined a GS3 switching back and forth with my adapter.

Thanks Apple!

Could you please share if google end up charging you any thing? i am also on the same boat nano sim adaptor stuck in the phone. That would be much appreciated if you could share some details regarding the replacement or return to google..

Same thing happened to me last week. I popped it out barely with the ejector tool and then pulled out the tray with my finger nail. I didn't think it was going to come out but after two minutes of freaking out I got it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

i pulled out the sim card tray and also sim adapter. but after that if i insert the sim card , it says no sim card error but it searches the mobile network and says this sim card doesnt allow this connection.. any one could try an solution fof this pls? inserting with regular micro sim card into nexus 4 it gets tight when pulling it out and also the sim card is not working , pls help
    Last edited by sanjaycbe; 02-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.

3rdeyer's suggestion worked a treat .. Thank's! What a stupid design especially as so many will be using nano sims. Anyway, the real trick is to ensure that your plastic strips are thin enough, while also inflexible enough, to fit both sides of the SIM card slot. Then it's easy to pull on the strips, while squeezing the sim tray, to pull it all out far enough to be able to slip on the nano sim. Then it all easily comes out.
    Initially I pulled the plastic trim away from the metal card tray. Luckily was able to glue it back on with superglue while carefully lining it up with the tags (even though one end tag had actually torn away). I'll just have to be extra careful if I ever want to remove the sim again.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

The day after I received my n4 I had calling issues. So I used my work phone to contact T-Mobile. They needed me to remove the Sim. I told them I didn't have the stupid extraction tool for the tray and they told me to just use a paper clip. I did and I was terrified that the dang paper clip nearly got stuck inside the pin hole. Wow. I just don't know what to say. I wish Google had developed the Sim tray better. I mean, do I need to carry the extraction tool around with me in case I need to remove the Sim card?? Just tuck it in my wallet?! I mean really? Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darrell View Post
    What a stupid design especially as so many will be using nano sims.
    Really? They should have designed the phone to make it easier for people who choose to use the wrong size sim?

This is coming late for some of you, unfortunately, but I have something of a solution. I just got a Nexus 4 with Noosy SIM adapter in the mail today, and like the everyone else, I'm switching from an iPhone 5. What I did is super glue the nanoSIM into the microSIM adapter, so now I essentially have a jerry-rigged microSIM. This doesn't work for anyone who plans on switching back-and-forth from the iPhone to the Nexus 4, but it works if you plan on switching permanently.
    Nexus 4 (8GB) + Surface Pro (128GB) =

I had the same issue. I inserted a nano sim in an adapter plate while overseas. While trying to eject the sim tray once returning from OS, the face plate broke off, and the tray was stuck. So I removed the two screws at the bottom of the phone, and using the proper plastic lever tool (like the one used in the nexus 4 teardown) I unclipped the bottom edge of the phone (opposite side to the sim tray), then used the plastic tool to lever out the sim tray which slid the tray out a little further and then I was able to pull out the tray with my fingers... A lucky escape I think!

You are not alone. I returned my Nexus4 to google with sim adapter inside. They will hold the credit card until you return it but never charged me.
    Remember, do not invest for the the cutter sim and adapter. Buy the new sim card.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast