Bad Radio / Google RMA / AT&T Experience!

impala79

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Nexus 4 and slapped a Straight Talk AT&T SIM in it. I got on to an HSPA:10 network with speeds of about 10Mbps down. Unfortunately, my data connection would drop after about 3 to 5 minutes and the only way to restore it was to restart the phone, only to have data drop out again after 3 to 5 minutes. I called Straight Talk and got nowhere; just lot's of suggestions to restart my phone, restore it to factory settings and triple check that the APN was correct. They even wanted my to install an iOS APN app on the Nexus 4 :mad:

So, I gave up and went to my local AT&T store and tried to buy a GoPhone SIM, but they wouldn't sell one to me claiming that GoPhone is not available for Android devices with ICS or newer! Hmmmm. So I went ahead and signed up for a no-contract (since I have my own phone) post paid plan, knowing that I could cancel anytime, and if I cancel within 3 days I even get my activation fee refunded! Well, with my AT&T SIM in place, I still had the same data issues as I did with Straight Talk.

I got home and called AT&T tech support. First off, they said my phone's IEMI was entered and recognized as a dumb phone. So, they used a dummy IEMI from an HSPA+ compatible phone and got my device set up with a 4G data plan (as opposed to Non-Smartphone or LTE plans). Then we spent another 2 hours going through tons of different APN settings and restarts and re-provisionings of my SIM on their end -- all to no avail! The gal helping me was incredibly smart and helpful; she's even a frequent Androidcentral reader! Well, our final conclusion was that it must be a faulty radio in my Nexus 4.

Finally, I called Google. After a 40 minute wait, I explained my problem to a nice guy on the Nexus warranty support line. When I told him my trouble shooting steps that I've already taken, he explained that there is "trouble shooting, above-and-beyond trouble shooting, and then there's what you did!" Without any argument he agreed the radio must be bad, and set up an RMA. Luckily Google has a separate RMA stock so I'll have my replacement device in 3 business days. Hopefully this one will work just fine.

The End.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Ouch sorry to hear that.It sucks when all you do and it still drops trough on you. To bad you couldn't have gotten a Tmo sim and see if you could replicate the issue. More than likely though its a radio issue. Good luck.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Nexus 4 and slapped a Straight Talk AT&T SIM in it. I got on to an HSPA:10 network with speeds of about 10Mbps down. Unfortunately, my data connection would drop after about 3 to 5 minutes and the only way to restore it was to restart the phone, only to have data drop out again after 3 to 5 minutes. I called Straight Talk and got nowhere; just lot's of suggestions to restart my phone, restore it to factory settings and triple check that the APN was correct. They even wanted my to install an iOS APN app on the Nexus 4 :mad:

So, I gave up and went to my local AT&T store and tried to buy a GoPhone SIM, but they wouldn't sell one to me claiming that GoPhone is not available for Android devices with ICS or newer! Hmmmm. So I went ahead and signed up for a no-contract (since I have my own phone) post paid plan, knowing that I could cancel anytime, and if I cancel within 3 days I even get my activation fee refunded! Well, with my AT&T SIM in place, I still had the same data issues as I did with Straight Talk.

I got home and called AT&T tech support. First off, they said my phone's IEMI was entered and recognized as a dumb phone. So, they used a dummy IEMI from an HSPA+ compatible phone and got my device set up with a 4G data plan (as opposed to Non-Smartphone or LTE plans). Then we spent another 2 hours going through tons of different APN settings and restarts and re-provisionings of my SIM on their end -- all to no avail! The gal helping me was incredibly smart and helpful; she's even a frequent Androidcentral reader! Well, our final conclusion was that it must be a faulty radio in my Nexus 4.

Finally, I called Google. After a 40 minute wait, I explained my problem to a nice guy on the Nexus warranty support line. When I told him my trouble shooting steps that I've already taken, he explained that there is "trouble shooting, above-and-beyond trouble shooting, and then there's what you did!" Without any argument he agreed the radio must be bad, and set up an RMA. Luckily Google has a separate RMA stock so I'll have my replacement device in 3 business days. Hopefully this one will work just fine.

The End.

How did you get them to put you on a 4G smartphone plan? They keep putting me on blackberry 3G/4G plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

impala79

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
How did you get them to put you on a 4G smartphone plan? They keep putting me on blackberry 3G/4G plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

From what I understood of the process, the AT&T tech support person had to use a dummy IEMI from a smartphone with comparable specs, i.e., Android HSPA+. She never did tell me which device's IMEI number she ended up using (and I should have asked, but I didn't!). She did say that someday I could get very unlucky and my dummy IEMI could coincide with a lost/stolen number and I'd get temporarily blocked from service. If that happens I am supposed to call up and ask for a new dummy number.

I got lucky in that the person helping me was well-versed in android tech. She was as nerdy as any of us and knew what needed to be done without any explanation. I've read on this and other forums about people needing to explain in detail that the Nexus 4 is HSPA+ but the IEMI's aren't recognized yet as such, so a dummy is needed, etc, etc....

Once I get my replacement I'll post and let you know if the new one "just works" after popping in the SIM, because as of now I really have no way of knowing if what the AT&T rep performed actually did anything to give me a solid data connection!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Nexus 4 and slapped a Straight Talk AT&T SIM in it. I got on to an HSPA:10 network with speeds of about 10Mbps down. Unfortunately, my data connection would drop after about 3 to 5 minutes and the only way to restore it was to restart the phone, only to have data drop out again after 3 to 5 minutes...

I am curious to know how you made the determination that your "...data connection would drop..."

Is this like you are browsing the web or downloading a file and it stops transmitting/receiving data in the middle, or what?

Also, did you have an active Wi-Fi connection at the time or was Wi-Fi disabled?

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Had you not tried directly with an actual AT&T sim, I would have said there was most likely nothing wrong with your phone. It's been well covered that all MVNO's on AT&T's network have issues in this are. I personally had a ton of problems beginning this summer on H2O. Switching to straighttalk (AT&T) I had fewer problems, but they were still there. I have since switched to using straight talk with a Tmobile sim for my daily useage and save the straighttalk AT&T sim for when I'm traveling to areas with nno Tmobile coverage. Sorry to hear you might have gotten a bum phone.

impala79

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I am curious to know how you made the determination that your "...data connection would drop..."

Is this like you are browsing the web or downloading a file and it stops transmitting/receiving data in the middle, or what?

Also, did you have an active Wi-Fi connection at the time or was Wi-Fi disabled?

1) Phone powers up. WiFi is OFF, Data is Enabled.

2) I have 4 bars of reception. They are blue. There is an 'H' above them.

3) I can browse the internet just fine.

4) Approximately 3 to 5 minutes have passed.

5) I can no longer browse the internet (page requests time out). Other apps also indicate no data connection, e.g., Play Store say "No Connection Retry". I still have 4 blue bars with an 'H'. I still have an IP address according to the phone's status.

6) After about 5 more minutes, the 'H' goes away, and my 4 blue bars become 4 grey bars. My IP Address is "unavailable."

7) Cycling airplane mode or WiFi do nothing in regards to cellular data. WiFi works just fine. Forcing 2G (Edge) doesn't result in a connection either.

8) I turn off WiFi and make sure data is enabled and airplane mode is off.

9) Restart phone. GoTo 1). Rinse, Lather, Repeat!

impala79

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you try a factory restore first? It could be a software issue...

You sound like the Straight Talk customer service guy: "Sir, have you restarted your device? Sir, we're going to have to do a factory restore. Sir, I need you to install our iOS APN writing app. Sir, the iOS app won't install? Then, I'm not sure what the problem is." ;)

But seriously folks, yes, factory restores factored into my debugging procedure.

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
You sound like the Straight Talk customer service guy: "Sir, have you restarted your device? Sir, we're going to have to do a factory restore. Sir, I need you to install our iOS APN writing app. Sir, the iOS app won't install? Then, I'm not sure what the problem is." ;)

But seriously folks, yes, factory restores factored into my debugging procedure.

You did not write in your notes you did a factory restore. You said reset by turning off the device. But seeing as you did that, then yes possibly sounds like a faulty radio.