Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Eudo
  • 2 Post By Eudo
  • 1 Post By Mellimel22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus S--three-way comparison

I recently got my long-awaited Nexus 4 which, for me, was an upgrade to a Nexus S. Coincidentally, my husband took advantage of a great deal to pick up a Galaxy Nexus. So, we're comparing the two phones as new owners of both.

You know what? They're both excellent. We've been comparing them side-by-side for three days and we're both totally happy. There are some differences worth noting:

* All three phones have great screens, to my eyes. Obviously text looks vastly better on the GNex and N4 than on the Nexus S, but all three have good colours. The colours on the N4 are a little more muted than on the GNex or Nexus S (both of which are AMOLED, I think). I'm used to the super-saturated Nexus S colours, so the N4 colours look a little dull, but I think they're probably just more 'balanced'. I'd be happy with either the N4 or GNex screens.

* Both cameras seem quite good to me. I'm not sure why people complain about these cameras so much. They're not as good as my point-and-shoot Canon, but they're more than adequate for capturing fun moments in daily life. The camera interface on the N4 is a lot of fun to use. Photospheres are cooler than you imagine and they work a lot better than the reviews say, too. I am going to be making a lot of them while travelling.

* The swipe interface on the N4 keyboard is great. I no longer feel like I'm going a little insane while typing on virtual keys on the smaller Nexus S screen. I tried Swype on the Nexus S and didn't like it enough to stick with it. Somehow the implementation in 4.2 on the N4 is more comfortable.

* Going from HSPA (Nexus S) to HSPA+ (Nexus 4) is a BIG difference. I was worried about the N4 not having LTE, but actually HSPA+ is very good (I'm on Rogers in Canada). I haven't bothered trying to activate LTE using the published trick.

* Battery life on the N4 is fine. It's a fair bit better than on the Nexus S, in my real-world use scenarios (involving a fair bit of tethering).

* The N4 is *very* slippery--moreso than the GNex. The Google bumper doesn't really help with that. I'm ditching it for an el-cheapo rubber case from Ebay.

* The N4 is almost weirdly thin. I feel like I'm holding an oversized credit card.

* Both phones feel very fast to me. I don't feel like the N4 is more 'buttery' than the GNex. I'm sure there are differences, but they're not super-obvious to me. Certainly both are a lot faster than the Nexus S.

* Voice search works infinitely better on the N4 than on the Nexus S, where it was a clunky novelty at best. It seems to work fine on the GNex, too.

In summary, I'd say that, if you have a Nexus S or earlier, both the N4 and the GNex are going to feel like huge upgrades. The N4 is a little more future-proof, sure, but it's not as different from the GNex as I'd expected.

If you're reading reviews of the N4 and feeling a little glum about the digs people take at it, I wouldn't worry. I heard all sorts of bad things about the battery life, the CPU throttling, the camera, and so on. But I still love the phone. Stock Android is, as always, a killer feature. I'm so glad I didn't cave and buy a non-Nexus device.

I'm happy to answer questions, if I can.
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus S--three-way comparison

Excellent, detailed post! Thank you. I'm switching from a Nexus S to an N4 and looking forward to it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I suspect you'll really like the N4. It's a big step up from the Nexus S. I just tried doing two-way video calling over HSPA+ using the N4 and it worked fantastically. That certainly wasn't the case with the Nexus S. Lots to love with the N4. I'm just paranoid about dropping it!

I have heard that the gnex screen is a "yellow tobacco stain" compared to the n4, but you like both.
    Jury is still out on my end as I have not recieved mine yet...but I'd like to see how my tobacco stain compares.
    Going from vz to st att for now. Don't really care that I might lose speed and unlimited data cos my monthly will be cut in half.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I do like both screens. This is where I think reviewers are harsh. To read the reviews, you'd think that, as you put it, some screens are tantamount to tobacco stains. I've seen screens I couldn't live with for sure and I can well understand why people don't like PenTile screens but, honestly, I wouldn't burn any neurons out trying to decide between the GNex and N4 screens. They are both totally acceptable to me. The N4 colours are definitely more 'neutral' than those of the GNex, but I think the difference comes down to preference. I don't see one screen as clearly better.
    Thanked by:
    davey11 and MERCDROID like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Eudo View Post
    I recently got my long-awaited Nexus 4 which, for me, was an upgrade to a Nexus S. Coincidentally, my husband took advantage of a great deal to pick up a Galaxy Nexus. So, we're comparing the two phones as new owners of both.

You know what? They're both excellent. We've been comparing them side-by-side for three days and we're both totally happy. There are some differences worth noting:

* All three phones have great screens, to my eyes. Obviously text looks vastly better on the GNex and N4 than on the Nexus S, but all three have good colours. The colours on the N4 are a little more muted than on the GNex or Nexus S (both of which are AMOLED, I think). I'm used to the super-saturated Nexus S colours, so the N4 colours look a little dull, but I think they're probably just more 'balanced'. I'd be happy with either the N4 or GNex screens.

* Both cameras seem quite good to me. I'm not sure why people complain about these cameras so much. They're not as good as my point-and-shoot Canon, but they're more than adequate for capturing fun moments in daily life. The camera interface on the N4 is a lot of fun to use. Photospheres are cooler than you imagine and they work a lot better than the reviews say, too. I am going to be making a lot of them while travelling.

* The swipe interface on the N4 keyboard is great. I no longer feel like I'm going a little insane while typing on virtual keys on the smaller Nexus S screen. I tried Swype on the Nexus S and didn't like it enough to stick with it. Somehow the implementation in 4.2 on the N4 is more comfortable.

* Going from HSPA (Nexus S) to HSPA+ (Nexus 4) is a BIG difference. I was worried about the N4 not having LTE, but actually HSPA+ is very good (I'm on Rogers in Canada). I haven't bothered trying to activate LTE using the published trick.

* Battery life on the N4 is fine. It's a fair bit better than on the Nexus S, in my real-world use scenarios (involving a fair bit of tethering).

* The N4 is *very* slippery--moreso than the GNex. The Google bumper doesn't really help with that. I'm ditching it for an el-cheapo rubber case from Ebay.

* The N4 is almost weirdly thin. I feel like I'm holding an oversized credit card.

* Both phones feel very fast to me. I don't feel like the N4 is more 'buttery' than the GNex. I'm sure there are differences, but they're not super-obvious to me. Certainly both are a lot faster than the Nexus S.

* Voice search works infinitely better on the N4 than on the Nexus S, where it was a clunky novelty at best. It seems to work fine on the GNex, too.

In summary, I'd say that, if you have a Nexus S or earlier, both the N4 and the GNex are going to feel like huge upgrades. The N4 is a little more future-proof, sure, but it's not as different from the GNex as I'd expected.

If you're reading reviews of the N4 and feeling a little glum about the digs people take at it, I wouldn't worry. I heard all sorts of bad things about the battery life, the CPU throttling, the camera, and so on. But I still love the phone. Stock Android is, as always, a killer feature. I'm so glad I didn't cave and buy a non-Nexus device.

I'm happy to answer questions, if I can.
    Having owned a ns4g and just a s2 I can say this galaxy nexus is just plain RAW lol I love the screen and the on screen buttons and I have been getting great battery life for being on 4g all day and with my Google cloud services 32gb is more than enough than I need. Personally I can't c how u 8gb guys and gals doin it lol

Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Having owned a ns4g and just a s2 I can say this galaxy nexus is just plain RAW lol I love the screen and the on screen buttons and I have been getting great battery life for being on 4g all day and with my Google cloud services 32gb is more than enough than I need. Personally I can't c how u 8gb guys and gals doin it lol

If you're using the could for the majority of your storage, then 8GB and 32GB are sort of synonymous
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Not really because I don't use the cloud for movies and half my music that I own is on my gnex but I JUST started using the cloud a month ago but I still think 8gb is to low