1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Default Suggestions for short-term prepaid carrier for N4?

I am planning on using my N4 on a prepaid carrier for a month before I actually move it over to Tmobile and port my #...

Are there any TMO based prepaods that meet the following criteria:

1. Waiving activation currently
    2. Have a retail presence (like being able to walk into a 7-11 or Walmart etc) for immediate gratification?
    3. Have a cheap low usage voice/data plan around $30 a month?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Suggestions for short-term prepaid carrier for N4?

Straight Talk

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    I am planning on using my N4 on a prepaid carrier for a month before I actually move it over to Tmobile and port my #...

2. Have a retail presence (like being able to walk into a 7-11 or Walmart etc) for immediate gratification?
    I think you just described T-Mobile's online-only (or WalMart) $30 plan.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    I think you just described T-Mobile's online-only (or WalMart) $30 plan.
    I will check out the Walmart one... they are close...

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Walmart tells me that they don't stock the Straight Talk cards with Sim cards in the stores...

Is that true? Or was I getting bad info?

Also all of the Straight Talk sim cards I found on Walmart.com were marked for AT&T... I didn't see any marked for T-Mobile...

Thanks

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I ordered a Straight Talk AT&T sim from

Works so far!

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Just order the SIM kit for the $30 a month monthly 4G plan. You should be able to port your number to the same account over the dummy number they give you once you're ready (unless others have had issues with this).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.1

Go to straight talk.com and order your T Mobile SIM card they have free shipping until December 17th... Walmart doesn't sell straight talk sim cards at the store where I live... By the way the speed on the Nexus 4 with the Straight Talk sim card for T Mobile is blazing fast....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Make sure you understand the pre-paid deal. It seems like Straight Talk makes the most sense for me.

First go to the ST site and look at the coverage maps for ATT and Tmob. They can be pretty different in some areas and the two costs are different. Once you find the correct carrier then you need to order the micro sim for that carrier. The cost will be about $10 and it will be shipped overnight for free. One thing to keep in mind is that ST requires a signature from someone over 18 to deliver and I couldn't find a way to bypass that even with a note on my door to Fedex saying it was ok to leave without sig.

Order it without a plan and set it up online when you receive it. If you set up a plan and and have them assign a number from your chosen area code it will become active almost instantly. You can then begin using your 30 days of service.

There are mixed reports about getting the carrier to port your number later to that previously purchased and activated sim card. I would plan on the possibility of purchasing another $10 sim and them selling the previous one.

My experience so far with the service I chose has been great. I will be purchasing another sim if they wont port another number into this one. I'm on ATT for $45 which after taxes and fees is about $50. This account was on Tmob with an average bill of about $95. Couldn't be more pleased and I'm thinking about another N4 for replacing my VZW Gnex.

Thanks!
    ST and T-Mo both meet #1 and #3, and they both have free, fast shipping so #2 isn't that big a deal. You may be able to score a T-Mo prepaid SIM elsewhere as well. Wal-Mart doesn't sell SIM cards for either T-Mo or ST. If you just want the SIM, order online. T-Mo SIMs are 99c, ship free, and come with $3.34 of credit attached to them.

Prepaid plans don't have activation fees in general. If you want to use T-Mobile's network just to test, get their SIM cos it's cheaper. In the long run, you have to decide between unlimited minutes and ??? data (reports vary, usually 2-3GB) on ST (T-Mobile or AT&T network) for $45 or 100 minutes and 5GB data (throttled thereafter) for $30 directly through T-Mobile.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Another issue with ST..

Their website says that TMO sim cards are mini size and I thought that the N4 used micro size ...

Hmmm

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

What are the data caps with ST? I know it's unlimited but when do they begin to throttle? Are the speeds HSPA+?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

I thought you could get micro sim cards from a tmobile store and activate them yourself online with the $30 prepaid. I think in stores the sim card costs $10 rather than $1.

The tmobile stores I went to told me that they couldn't sell just sim cards. They said the sim cards couldn't leave the store without a plan attached. Not sure if they were lying but I went to several different stores.

That's really disappointing. I was planning on going to a tmobile store to get a sim as soon as my nexus 4 arrived in order to avoid waiting for tmobile to ship it. I guess I'll order one now online.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Another issue with ST..

Their website says that TMO sim cards are mini size and I thought that the N4 used micro size ...

Hmmm
    It does. If you want to use a ST T-Mo SIM, you have to order the standard SIM and cut it down to micro sized. You can find SIM cutters online as well as templates if you're handy with scissors. Some people have also reported that T-Mo stores (and/or other cell phone stores) will sometimes cut a SIM down for you for free.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    What are the data caps with ST? I know it's unlimited but when do they begin to throttle? Are the speeds HSPA+?
    ST doesn't define their data cap. They will throttle you (or cut you off) if you begin impacting the network. When and if that happens depends on what you're doing, where you are, and how many other people are online at the time. Generally however, it seems you can safely use around 2gb per month, and some report far higher limits. Their speeds are HSPA+, but how high depends on if you're using an AT&T SIM (21mbps) or T-Mo (42mbps) and if the respective parent network has upgraded to those speeds in your area.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Ok, thanks for the helpful replies.

This seems like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know...

Can I order the $.99 SIM from TMO and then buy the ST card @ Walmart and be good to go?

Or do I have to get a SIM from ST to use the ST pre-paid network?

Thanks...

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Ok, thanks for the helpful replies.

This seems like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know...

Can I order the $.99 SIM from TMO and then buy the ST card @ Walmart and be good to go?

Or do I have to get a SIM from ST to use the ST pre-paid network?
    The SIM from T-Mo will only work with T-Mo's plans and only on their network. It's not useable with ST plans. If you want to use ST, you'll need to get a SIM from them. Even though they use the T-Mo network (as well as AT&T), you need their SIMs for their plans. Hope that clarifies some things.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    The SIM from T-Mo will only work with T-Mo's plans and only on their network. It's not useable with ST plans. If you want to use ST, you'll need to get a SIM from them. Even though they use the T-Mo network (as well as AT&T), you need their SIMs for their plans. Hope that clarifies some things.
    It does...