so do N4s which have the earpiece buzz also have the rattle?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I could have swore I checked for this on day one. Didn't even notice the earpiece crackling sound till just now. what do you guys mean by distortion? Do voices sound, "wrong" or what? people's voices still sound fine so far I just have a slight background noise from the earpiece

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I also hear a constant 'buzzing' sound coming from the camera while listening real close. not saying that im supposed to put my ear next to the camera lol, just an interesting observation.

Last edited:

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i've decided that im going to request for a replacement. my rattle is not an issue for me, its the ear piece noise thats irritating me. i hate how i could end up with one even worse. *sigh*

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to test the ear piece without having service? I haven't activated mine on tmobile's prepaid $30 plan yet because I'm waiting until the end of december for my verizon contract to expire so I can port my number. Is there some way I can listen to something on the earpiece and see if I have the buzzing sound so I can request a replacement before my replacement period expires?

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to test the ear piece without having service? I haven't activated mine on tmobile's prepaid $30 plan yet because I'm waiting until the end of december for my verizon contract to expire so I can port my number. Is there some way I can listen to something on the earpiece and see if I have the buzzing sound so I can request a replacement before my replacement period expires?

If you look hard enough or in this case listen hard enough you will have every problem mentioned in this forum. So you probably will have the rattle...you're expecting it before you've even used it.

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you look hard enough or in this case listen hard enough you will have every problem mentioned in this forum. So you privacy will have the rattle...you're expecting it before you even used it.

I already have the rattle but that is normal. The iphone 4 and iPhone 4s I had did it to. So I'm not concerned with that. What I am concerned about is the buzzing earpiece. If it is significant enough, I want to test for it and get a replacement. I'm not saying I think it has it, I just want to make sure that it doesn't.

I need a way to make a call without service.

techlover757

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
i just made a thread and im responding to this one now. i just shook my 4s and realized it has the same issue. and the buzzing....is more of a paranoid feeling. i think all these mishaps being brought up made me nervous because im generally happy. the buzzing is a little annoying and it must be a shielding issue because when i plug my phone into the car charger and try to use my aux cable i hear loud static....i know i can just buy a bluetooth kit. but if other people dont having buzzing....i dont want buzzing haha

techlover757

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
damn... i just realized my 4S makes the same rattling sound and its worst. and it has a buzzing sound!!! i might've made a mistake asking for a replacement model.

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For those you wanting to test your Nexus 4 for the buzz sound but do not have service yet; get a voip app of some kind from the play store (I used sidecar, great app by the way) and make a call to this number using it: 909-390-0003
It is an echo back number. It rings once or twice then you talk and it echos back your voice. Beware though that any brushing or blowing on the mic winds up sounding like a buzz so if you think you have a buzz noise make sure you aren't blowing or brushing the mic. I did and I thought it was a buzz but I realized I had blown in the mic a bit.

Based on what it sounded like, I don't think I have the buzz sound.

Is the buzz sound very common with the nexus 4? It seems like it isn't extremely common and a lot more people don't have it than do like it was a small defective batch.

techlover757

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
mine isnt that bad. did you amplify the volume. i can only hear once i keep my phone pressed hard against my ear. and even then in conversation i dont hear it. but its kinda like i cant unhear it now

rkohou

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You can not hear it away from your ear. I can hear it during conversations on the phone any day. It annoys the s.... out of me.

rkohou

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How high is your volume? Can you hear it without it being near your ear?
This was recoded just buy holding my iPhone mic next to the earpiece. I can put the phone into airplane mode with mute on it is still doing the same thing. sometimes it sounds like Hard drive seeking sectors WTF

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For those you wanting to test your Nexus 4 for the buzz sound but do not have service yet; get a voip app of some kind from the play store (I used sidecar, great app by the way) and make a call to this number using it: 909-390-0003
It is an echo back number. It rings once or twice then you talk and it echos back your voice. Beware though that any brushing or blowing on the mic winds up sounding like a buzz so if you think you have a buzz noise make sure you aren't blowing or brushing the mic. I did and I thought it was a buzz but I realized I had blown in the mic a bit.

Based on what it sounded like, I don't think I have the buzz sound.

Is the buzz sound very common with the nexus 4? It seems like it isn't extremely common and a lot more people don't have it than do like it was a small defective batch.

i can hear mine if the call volume is loud.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of the buzzing this is what I hear in my earpiece at all times. It is gone only after I shut it off.
Nexus 4 static - YouTube

holy sh** thats loud!

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
mine isnt that bad. did you amplify the volume. i can only hear once i keep my phone pressed hard against my ear. and even then in conversation i dont hear it. but its kinda like i cant unhear it now

now that we are "aware" its psychologically going to bother us. mine has it and its not a deal breaker, but i still asked for a replacement nonetheless. i figured, "why not try to get one that doesnt have it at all"

fam617

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Buzzing is the wrong adjective...it simply sounds like a busted tweeter speaker. You can test it over wifi on Talkatone without having to install the SIM. Have the other person talk loud and increase volume on the device 75%. I ordered a replacement and the issue was non-existent on it. Some devices have it, others don't. Bottom line. Of course LG and Google won't come out and state something...

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Buzzing is the wrong adjective...it simply sounds like a busted tweeter speaker. You can test it over wifi on Talkatone without having to install the SIM. Have the other person talk loud and increase volume on the device 75%. I ordered a replacement and the issue was non-existent on it. Some devices have it, others don't. Bottom line. Of course LG and Google won't come out and state something...

I'm really hoping I get lucky like you with my replacement...

leroy_sunset

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Both of my N4s have the rattle and the buzz. Buzz is very faint when the screen is on. Don't hear it during calls. No biggie, not sending it back.