Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default so do N4s which have the earpiece buzz also have the rattle?

mine has both (Google kindly has sent a replacement N4 for the rattle) so wondering if these defects run together, or (and this seems like a long shot) these two issues might be related?

Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

Default Re: so do N4s which have the earpiece buzz also have the rattle?

what rattle? I never heard of this.

I forgot where I read it but there was a thread where a number of people confirmed their phones made the rattle noise and brushed it off as normal...

So Google is really replacing phones that have a rattle?

Well, good to know if that's the case... cause I don't think any rattle should be considered normal and hope mine does not when I receive it.

Mine has the rattle, but no buzz. By the way...The rattle is miniscule. Supposedly a camera element or something.

No biggy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

How long did it take for you to receive your replacement?

Global Posts
    4,276 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
    Mine has the rattle, but no buzz. By the way...The rattle is miniscule. Supposedly a camera element or something.

No biggy.

My iPhone 5 has a slight rattle that mostly everyone has. It has to do with the camera and there's no way I would return it risking receiving a truly defective device. I do notice a slight rattle now that it's been brought to my attention but there's no chance in h3ll I'm gonna return it for this non issue. If you look for problems you'll find problems, sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

The rattle is the auto-focus. It's normal and is not an issue. Here is how it can be proved that the rattle is in fact the auto-focus. Turn the camera on and start tapping the top of the phone. You will hear the rattle. Now focus on something really close and keep tapping. The rattle will go away.

If you call google and your rep acknowledges this as an issue, then he/she doesn't have a clue. You are basically returning a perfectly fine device. Then google send you another, whilst some of the so many annoyed people still waiting for their phones to be shipped, will have to wait longer

p.s. I bought mine in store, so the above isn't for my benefit
    Last edited by palitsyn; 12-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    HTC One 32GB (silver), Nexus 4 16GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, Nexus 7 16GB
    Thanked by:

So smartphones have true mechanical autofocus cameras? I don't know much about the cameras in smartphones but didnt think they actually had any moving parts and especially in the camera lens... i just thought that autofocus was software generated.

Quote Originally Posted by palitsyn View Post
    The rattle is the auto-focus. It's normal and is not an issue. Here is how it can be proved that the rattle is in fact the auto-focus. Turn the camera on and start tapping the top of the phone. You will hear the rattle. Now focus on something really close and keep tapping. The rattle will go away.

If you call google and your rep acknowledges this as an issue, then he/she doesn't have a clue. You are basically returning a perfectly fine device. Then google send you another, whilst some of the so many annoyed people still waiting for their phones to be shipped, will have to wait longer

p.s. I bought mine in store, so the above isn't for my benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post

No biggy.

Mine has the rattle. At first, I thought it was the haptic feedback, but I wasn't sure, so I did a quick Google search. I discovered that this is a recognized defect that people have gotten warranty exchanges for.

It is a biggy for something I paid a crap load of money for!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    So smartphones have true mechanical autofocus cameras? I don't know much about the cameras in smartphones but didnt think they actually had any moving parts and especially in the camera lens... i just thought that autofocus was software generated.
    Of course

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    Mine has the rattle. At first, I thought it was the haptic feedback, but I wasn't sure, so I did a quick Google search. I discovered that this is a recognized defect that people have gotten warranty exchanges for.

I don't know if I have the earpiece buzz. What does it sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post

And here we go again. IT IS NOT A DEFECT!!! Just because it is recognised by some in the community doesn't make it a defect. Read above. It's the auto focus. If someone at google or lg says it's a defect, they have no idea what they are talking about. You guys are wasting perfectly good products!!!

By the way, iPhone 4, 4s and 5 have the same rattle. ALL OF THEM have it. So will the Nexus 4s.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by gomab357 View Post
    How long did it take for you to receive your replacement?
    2 days

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

As i mentioned in an earlier thread, a) Google says this is a known issue covered under warranty and b) Google had set aside a separate stock of N4s for warranty issues.

Given the backlog, whether or not Google should do that is debatable I suppose, but I was happy to get my replacement in two days so this is probably smart customer service on their part.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

And here we go again. IT IS NOT A DEFECT!!! Just because it is recognised by some in the community doesn't make it a defect. Read above. It's the auto focus. If someone at google or lg says it's a defect, they have no idea what they are talking about. You guys are wasting perfectly good products!!!

By the way, iPhone 4, 4s and 5 have the same rattle. ALL OF THEM have it. So will the Nexus 4s.
    Then why don't all N4s have the rattle?

All other things being equal, why wouldn't someone prefer to have one that doesn't rattle?

Quote Originally Posted by smileman View Post
    As i mentioned in an earlier thread, a) Google says this is a known issue covered under warranty and b) Google had set aside a separate stock of N4s for warranty issues.

Given the backlog, whether or not Google should do that is debatable I suppose, but I was happy to get my replacement in two days so this is probably smart customer service on their part.
    Where does it say, that it is an acknowledged issue?

Then why don't all N4s have the rattle?

All other things being equal, why wouldn't someone prefer to have one that doesn't rattle?
    Lets see if your new one has the rattle

The same thing was happening with iPhones (4, 4s and now 5). Some people would say they don't have it, and some would say they do. People were exchanging their 4's until they actually realised that they all had it. The difference is, that some people wouldn't pay attention to it, and others would tap and shake their phones like morons all day long and no wonder they found it irritating.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Where does it say, that it is an acknowledged issue?
    Google customer service rep said so.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Lets see if your new one has the rattle

The same thing was happening with iPhones (4, 4s and now 5). Some people would say they don't have it, and some would say they do. People were exchanging their 4's until they actually realised that they all had it. The difference is, that some people wouldn't pay attention to it, and others would tap and shake their phones like morons all day long and no wonder they found it irritating.
    There are reports all over this forum of N4s with no rattle. In fact my unscientific impression is that the rattle is a minority issue.

Google customer service rep said so.
    Yep, and apple reps accepted returns due to the same "issue", but it's due to their luck of knowledge. In the end, all iPhones had it and still do.

There are reports all over this forum of N4s with no rattle. In fact my unscientific impression is that the rattle is a minority issue.
    Yes, there are, but it doesn't make it an issue. You might say it's there by design....

Two N4's here (my own and my wife's) and neither have buzz or rattle. At least, nothing so obvious as to be readily apparent; my wife can be a stickler about such things, so if it were there she would have told me about it by now.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Yes, there are, but it doesn't make it an issue. You might say it's there by design....
    So you're saying that the rattle is actually a semi-exclusive feature, which Google designers and engineers made sure was only in a minority of handsets for.... for.... I'm struggling trying to follow your ridiculous logic chain here, so you're going to have to help me out with why on Earth you think Google would have reason to have done this?

Look, I'm a big Google fan too but there is no reason not to call Google out on the fact that some of the handsets have a rattle and that, all things being equal, it's reasonable for a customer to want the version sans rattle. I'm such a customer, and while the rattle isn't that big a deal, if I want to resell the N4 later it could help if mine doesn't have a rattle.

In conclusion (and then I'm done posting on this topic), people don't like it when their expensive little precious devices rattle, even if its a tiny rattle and especially when said rattle is a minority problem that doesn't afflict most devices.

Last edited by smileman; 12-04-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Mine has had a rattle since I got it. It has gotten worse to the point where I have turned off haptic feedback (rattles with every keystroke) and can hear it when I am speaking with someone on the phone. To me, it seems to be coming from the headphone port. During a phone call with a particularly loud talker, I covered the port with a finger and it toned down the rattle. If i lightly tap on that part of the back it rattles. I feel like something is loose in there, it is getting worse, and that is a bad sign. If I had paid $600 for this I would be outraged. As it is, I am just worried it will eventually develop into even more a functional problem than just not being able to use haptic feedback. I will try to get a new one.

sorry, i have a 4s... also have a 2g, 3gs, 4 and 5... and non of them make a noise and tried hard.

Maybe they do and I dont hear it?

I hope that means i am not as anal about it as those reporting and that i wont notice it either on my Nexus 4. fingers crossed.

My rattle does not go away when I did this exactly as you describe.

FWIW, mine has the rattle and buzz....and I was wondering the exact same thing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast