Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Shadow6934
  • 3 Post By SeanNYC76
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 rattle & autofocus issues

i know this has been discussed on the site and people seem to be split about the rattle which i have on noticed when i set my phone down on a hard surface and of course if i shake it. it still shakes when auto focus is locked also. but the other thing for me is that twice now the camera will stop focusing, it requires a reboot to work again, one time i also had the camera force close close and reset. i am okay with the rattle as i don't want to change in my brand new device and wait for a replacement. on the other hand if the auto focus issues is tied to it and down the road auto focus stops working that would suck, kinda hoping the auto focus is a software issue. any thoughts, would you guys turn in the phone for a replacement?

Default Re: Nexus 4 rattle & autofocus issues

Found your thread when I searched for the same (rattle) issue. Noticed the same thing about setting it down or shaking it in my hand. Hoping to hear some feedback from others as well...

Okay, after some more googling it seems that it is normal, and it comes from the camera auto-focus...
    Nexus311 and rudeshko like this.

Nothing to be worried about guys, just about Smartphone has that rattle sound coming from the cameras auto focus mechanism. Both my devices do it, my N4 did it, and at the end of the day it's nothing to sweat.... Enjoy the device!
    Nexus311, palitsyn and rudeshko like this.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I've had an issue with the camera focus, on Saturday was my sons 3rd birthday, when I tried to take some quick shots it wouldn't focus at all, either circles over the faces or the focus ring would stay on screen and not move or do anything
    I had to press home, then "recent apps" and kill the camera for it to work again
    then once at night the phone just restarted itself when I was trying to focus.

How do you lock auto focus?

Yes thats correct,my iphone 5 does the same,my old htc desire hd and my nexus 4
    To prove to yourself the camera autofocus is making the noise open the camera and face it next to your ear while tapping on screen to autofocus( you will hear how the autofocus is making that click noise)
    Thanked by:

if i take my 4s up to my ear and tap near the camera lens, i will hear a light vibration inside the camera area from the tapping... and never really noticed it on my 4s or 3gs or 2g unless you tap on it like that. but i noticed on my nexus 4 that if you just take the phone and the movement to bring the phone up to your ear as if to talk into the phone, i can hear a faint rattle of some part. i can't make the iphones make any audible noise by doing that or shaking the phone.

so i have say that it may be normal, but on the n4 the tolerances are very 'loose' compared to my iphone. i dont know if i really like that cause i do a lot of jogging and trail riding and not sure how i like the idea that it's gonna do some major rattling and what constant shaking like that will do over time. guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cata Gradea View Post
    Yes thats correct,my iphone 5 does the same,my old htc desire hd and my nexus 4
    To prove to yourself the camera autofocus is making the noise open the camera and face it next to your ear while tapping on screen to autofocus( you will hear how the autofocus is making that click noise)
    Thanked by:

not sure where I am coming in on this but I too have a rattle

Not sure if it is the same one. If so, then np

If not, could someone test their phone

Mine came/comes when the upper right corner of the phone. I put that down first once and it did it. Now it repeats whenever that side is touched

I am hoping it also is am inner mechanism OR because of the power button. Although I wouldn't understand why the volume rocker would not do it

Could anyone tap their right corner a few times and put my mind to rest

Camera wise.....don't use much but I love photosphere. However it doesn't seem to focus very fast or take the pic very fast once you hit the button. Not like the Galaxy Nexus. FWIW the S3 didn't either

Can someone tell me how to get it to snap fast once you take the pic. And how to enable it to fix my blurry pics from my hands shakInc? Thank You

You're right! Mine had a bad rattling noise... I clicked the autofocus and can hear it again.. Bad design of the camera, you shouldn't ever hear a noise like that. I have had the S3 and iPhone 5 and 4 and never heard that noise.