Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaenon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NFC tags for the Nexus 4?

I've heard that the N4 doesn't support the Mifare tags, and I'm wondering where I could get other good tags to use for this when I get it. What other tags work with this phone, and where can I buy them from?
    Last edited by mugabuga; 12-05-2012 at 07:10 AM.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: NFC tags for the Nexus 4?

I had some Samsung TecTiles for my GNex. I just erased them with the TecTile app on the GNex. Then used NFC Task Launcher on the N4 and it it all works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by csloomis View Post
    I had some Samsung TecTiles for my GNex. I just erased them with the TecTile app on the GNex. Then used NFC Task Launcher on the N4 and it it all works fine.
    it's the cheapest on amazon, but out of stock until dec 7th
    Amazon.com: Samsung TecTiles (5-Pack), Programmable Near Field Communication Tags for Samsung NFC Galaxy S3, S2, S, Note 2, Note and NFC Enabled Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mugabuga View Post
    I've heard that the N4 doesn't support the Milfare tags, and I'm wondering where I could get other good tags to use for this when I get it. What other tags work with this phone, and where can I buy them from?
    This is false.

The Nexus 4 does not support the Mifare Classic series. It still supports the Mifare Ultralight along with NFC forum tags type 1-4 and a few others.
    alicechong7789 likes this.

The Nexus 4 can detect the UID code (like a UPC code) from a Mifare Classic tag and trigger a task based on that using ReTag app or NFC Task Launcher - however, it can not write or read any other info to the tag. If you're only using one of these nfc apps, then that's cool. But if you use several apps or want to actually write something to a tag, you'll want to use a tag like the NTAG203 NFC Tag which is compatible with the Nexus 4 and 10.

Whether you plan to use Mifare Classics to trigger task or want more control by using an NTAG203 tag, definitely check out AndyTags.com - they got cool tags - decent price if you buy in packs. they got lots of info to on nfc apps and tags and stuff.

(Samsung Tectiles are Mifare Classic tags.)

I would suggest to stick with any of the Types 1-4 tags+ NDEF. Or get the Type 2- NTAG which is already NDEF formatted.

More info for Android here: