Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    I'm leaving Sprint to try out the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile. Allegedly, I should get around 10mbps down in my area, which of course is worlds better than the 100kbps or so I get from Sprint 3G. If I don't, however, I'll be a bit torn, because I really don't want a contract but I also have my wife and son who need good service. Verizon is expensive, but bad coverage has a cost of its own. Probably, I'll give the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile a good workout on a prepaid plan (and with Discover I have 90 days to return the Nexus 4), and if it works I'll get one for them and we'll all go prepaid.

    Then, in a few years, hopefully the networks will shake out a bit and we'll see what's possible. I really do think, though, that signing a 2-year contract with ANYONE today is a losing proposition, given that there are currently so many moving parts.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    I am on AT&T and get strong HSPA+ speed in most locatons I live and travel to. I have never had good coverage with T-Mo anywhere I have been with a few exceptions. I travel to the Twin Cities and drive to Rochester several times a year for work and have had great coverage and speed with my AT&T plan though.
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  3. #28  
    qnet's Avatar

    Posts
    1,747 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    I know it's unlikely, but if Verizon were to get a "true" Nexus within the next 6 months that is better in every way than the N4, get's direct immediate software updates from Google, and is sold on the cheap on the Play Store, would you regret it then?
    That would be a dream come true.
    Highland Droid likes this.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    You're not entirely wrong. My decision to return this one to T-Mobile has been made, but I do have two coming from Google that should be here before Jan 1. My wife is all on board, even with our VZW ETFs, I figure we'll save ~$1K by the end of the year using the cheaper T-Mobile plans. She'll use whatever phone I put in front of her (except iPhone, tried that last year, she hated it) so it's up to me to make the hardware decision.

    This decision is far from being made. I'm really struggling with it. I already have two TPU covers for our future phones if I don't end up cancelling the order....

    http://i50.tinypic.com/6zvy2f.jpg



    I've considered this heavily, but one of the requirements in my proposed plan is that we kill the VZW contracts to save on our monthly budget. Still not ruling this out though, at least for the short term.

    Thanks for the replies!
    Sorry this is a little off topic, but I am looking at cases for the Nexus 4 and was wondering how you like that one.

    Could you post a few other pictures of it and with it on the phone if you have it?

    Thanks!!! The pictures on their website aren't the best.
  5. #30  
    Mobius360's Avatar

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Remember keeping that unlimited plan on Verizon will cost you full price on any new phones.

    My N4 is coming, I'm on Sprint and I decided to try both AT&T and T Mobile to see if I can save some money if the service is good. If not Sprint will have LTE soon in my area and I will stick with them. Sprints 3G is killing me right now though.

    60% of the time it works every time!
    *Sprint HIGH Speed 3G/LTE Nexus*
    nickacs likes this.
  6. #31  
    eman5oh's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    I ditched vz back in september, had a Galaxy Nexus and sold is and got the unlocked gsm version. I had been a vz custome for around 10 years. I had unlimted data on my account but switched it to a share everything plan with 1 gb of data and was getting by just fine with that. The vz Galaxy NExus was a frustating phone for me. Mine had problems with 3g/LTE handoff and would loose the data connection. VZ replaced the phone and it was better but still sub par as far I was concerned. This promoted me to look into the gsm Nexus and a new carrier. I ended up switching to Straight Talk on ATT. I am about 90% happy with the carrier switch, voice coverage where I work travel and home is about the same, att works in some spots vz did not and vice versa but overall roughly the same voice coverage. Data coverage is a bit of a different story, I had LTE at work and home so it was faster than the HSPA I get now. The HSPA runs 2-7 Mbit at home and work though a few area I travel drop to edge witch is very slow it works for nav but not much else. In the end though two phones on straight talk are running just under $100 a month and with vz it was just under $170 after all the taxes and fees. For the $70 a mouth savings it is a more than fair trade. I have to also say the N4 has way better reception and network performance than the gsm galaxy nexus fwiw.
  7. #32  
    nickacs's Avatar

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    Remember keeping that unlimited plan on Verizon will cost you full price on any new phones.
    This is exactly why I went with the N4. If in 2 months I am eligible for a new phone on VZW, I'm going to have to pay $500+ for the next best phone, SG3. And I've hardly used over 2GB/month for years even with the grandfathered unlimited data plan. For $149 for 2 smartphones a month currently, makes perfect sense to ditch'em and get the same for $100 postpaid plan with corp discount or go to ST/Tmo prepaid/Solavei that would come anywhere from $60-$90/month.

    Yea, "giving up" the unlimited data plan feels sooo hard to do because of that special word "unlimited", but if your not using it to it's fullest, it means squat. Does saving anywhere from $45 to $80 for me justify giving it up... Hells yea!

    That's why all the people that don't want to leave VZW for this reason just don't get that in the long run, your paying 2-3x more out of pocket for your next phone and paying 2-3x a MONTH overage. That's some serious cash savings in your next 2yr contract your blowing away!!!
    simba747 likes this.
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    "The whole T-Mobile setup feels...ghetto."

    Really now
  9. #34  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Tmo actually has a decent network in my eyes. With competitive pricing what's the issue I fail to see how its ghetto

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    nickacs likes this.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    You should do your research before making silly statements.T-Mobile has two classes of contract plans, one where you buy a full price phone (or bring your own) and one where you buy a subsidized phone. There's a $15/month difference between the two plans, but it's just as valid to say that they DISCOUNT their price $15 if you don't get a subsidized phone.

    And in fact, every other carrier will charge the same higher price whether they subsidized your phone or not. THAT'S the shady practice you should be upset about, not T-Mobile's transparent pricing model.
    simba747 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius360 View Post
    Remember keeping that unlimited plan on Verizon will cost you full price on any new phones.
    The idea is that, IF Google ever offers a phone on the Play Store (like the N4) that is VZW/LTE compatible. That's what I'm afraid might happen someday.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by KwietStorm View Post
    "The whole T-Mobile setup feels...ghetto."

    Really now
    Yeah, really. When I was signing up for my "trial" plan, I told the rep I wanted the plan with unlimited minutes/messaging/data(2GB high speed). He quoted me some ridiculous monthly payment ($85+) full of extra "a la cart" charges that I had to specifically deny each one to get the amount down to the $50ish level. I've NEVER had a Verizon rep try to sneak in charges that I didn't specifically ask to have added to my account. I guess that's why they continue to dominate the customer service awards every year.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    You should do your research before making silly statements.T-Mobile has two classes of contract plans, one where you buy a full price phone (or bring your own) and one where you buy a subsidized phone. There's a $15/month difference between the two plans, but it's just as valid to say that they DISCOUNT their price $15 if you don't get a subsidized phone.

    And in fact, every other carrier will charge the same higher price whether they subsidized your phone or not. THAT'S the shady practice you should be upset about, not T-Mobile's transparent pricing model.
    Do my research? Sorry bud, I'm just telling you what the rep in the T-Mo store told me. It's entirely possible that he was either ignorant, or just lying to me (either of which just reinforces my feeling that T-Mo is a little ghetto). Here's the difference in the carriers:

    T-Mobile: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee and pay off the rest of the phone in monthly installments. If you cancel early, we'll charge you a $200 ETF for the usage contract, and also collect the remainder of the phone balance.

    Everyone else: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee, but no more for the phone. If you cancel early, we'll charge you an ETF of variable amount based on how long you have left on your contract, but no more for the phone.

    You don't see the difference?
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    The phone payment this is only on the value plan if you get the classic plan they do subsidize the hardware, even though the value plan is still a subsidy, they are just upfront with you about costs

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    T-Mobile: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee and pay off the rest of the phone in monthly installments. If you cancel early, we'll charge you a $200 ETF for the usage contract, and also collect the remainder of the phone balance.

    Everyone else: We'll sell you a phone at a discount, and in return you sign a two-year agreement to pay a monthly usage fee, but no more for the phone. If you cancel early, we'll charge you an ETF of variable amount based on how long you have left on your contract, but no more for the phone.

    You don't see the difference?
    I'd say it's more:

    T-Mobile: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement, or let you use your own phone and knock $15 off the monthly bill. If you cancel early, it's a $200 ETF and the balance of the phone's cost should you have bought a subsidized phone from us.

    Everyone else: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement. Bring your own phone and you still pay the full price. Cancel early and you owe us a $350 ETF, reduced by $10/month as the contract ages.

    Basically TMob has a small (relatively) ETF but collects the balance of the phone while the other carriers have a one-size fits all much larger ETF, it pretty much balances out.
    And the other carriers collect the monthly premium for the subsidized phone whether you bought it from them or not, TMob reduces your bill if you don't go that way.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Not sure why people make a huge deal about LTE vs HSPA+ if you get good coverage in both areas. Your pages aren't going to "load" any faster if you're running 30 Mbps versus 15-20 Mbps on HSPA+. Only thing that would have a drastic difference in speed would be high definition video which would kill your data off so it's kind of pointless.
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    I tested att n4 out with ST. No service or edge with no net at work. Deal breaker for 40$ savings. Also had rattle in speaker so not satisfied. Going back and s3 purchased used.

    Maybe next year

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. #43  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,076 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
    I tested att n4 out with ST. No service or edge with no net at work. Deal breaker for 40$ savings. Also had rattle in speaker so not satisfied. Going back and s3 purchased used.

    Maybe next year

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    How much is the restocking fee from Google?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    I'd say it's more:

    T-Mobile: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement, or let you use your own phone and knock $15 off the monthly bill. If you cancel early, it's a $200 ETF and the balance of the phone's cost should you have bought a subsidized phone from us.

    Everyone else: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement. Bring your own phone and you still pay the full price. Cancel early and you owe us a $350 ETF, reduced by $10/month as the contract ages.

    Basically TMob has a small (relatively) ETF but collects the balance of the phone while the other carriers have a one-size fits all much larger ETF, it pretty much balances out.
    And the other carriers collect the monthly premium for the subsidized phone whether you bought it from them or not, TMob reduces your bill if you don't go that way.

    Hm...not really. Adding the $15/month phone purchase fee brings the T-Mobile plan dangerously close to the VZW monthly plan, but without the coverage or network that you get with Verizon.

    They're not "discounting" the monthly service plan if you bring your own phone, they are charging you plenty still for what you get - a third tier mobile network. If you DON'T bring your own phone, you're charged for a much better experience than you're actually getting.

    The only way to do T-Mobile is the pre-paid plans or the Straight Talk. And it sounds like they still gimp those by not including any roaming.

    And AT&T has crap for data speeds on their 3G (Straight Talk) network.

    Bottom line - even as wonderful as the N4 hardware is, there's still no perfect solution (as least for me). That's whats making this decision so hard.
  20. #45  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Idk bout the vzw version of the Gnex but I like Sprints version I can hold lte at -115 dbm lol I'm in Chicago btw just my two cents

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm leaving Sprint to try out the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile. Allegedly, I should get around 10mbps down in my area, which of course is worlds better than the 100kbps or so I get from Sprint 3G. If I don't, however, I'll be a bit torn, because I really don't want a contract but I also have my wife and son who need good service. Verizon is expensive, but bad coverage has a cost of its own. Probably, I'll give the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile a good workout on a prepaid plan (and with Discover I have 90 days to return the Nexus 4), and if it works I'll get one for them and we'll all go prepaid.

    Then, in a few years, hopefully the networks will shake out a bit and we'll see what's possible. I really do think, though, that signing a 2-year contract with ANYONE today is a losing proposition, given that there are currently so many moving parts.
    I left Sprint for Straight Talk AT&T, best decision ever. Straight Talk AT&T may not be as fast as the T-Mobile one but my average speed is 5mb down/1mb up, worlds better than sprint. AT&T coverage is way better in my area than that of T-Mobile, and I rather have a reliable connection than a spotty fast connection.
    The Hustleman likes this.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    Hm...not really. Adding the $15/month phone purchase fee brings the T-Mobile plan dangerously close to the VZW monthly plan, but without the coverage or network that you get with Verizon.

    They're not "discounting" the monthly service plan if you bring your own phone, they are charging you plenty still for what you get - a third tier mobile network. If you DON'T bring your own phone, you're charged for a much better experience than you're actually getting.

    The only way to do T-Mobile is the pre-paid plans or the Straight Talk. And it sounds like they still gimp those by not including any roaming.

    And AT&T has crap for data speeds on their 3G (Straight Talk) network.

    Bottom line - even as wonderful as the N4 hardware is, there's still no perfect solution (as least for me). That's whats making this decision so hard.
    There isn't data roaming on Straight Talk, but there is voice roaming. Of course speed isn't the same, so if your attached to it then...no you shouldn't leave Verizon.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by nickodell View Post
    Sorry this is a little off topic, but I am looking at cases for the Nexus 4 and was wondering how you like that one.

    Could you post a few other pictures of it and with it on the phone if you have it?

    Thanks!!! The pictures on their website aren't the best.
    Sure, here you go...

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmhnnepmnl2oiq4/xXpAXXfuRg

    I would say it is a good case. I like that it doesn't have any branding. I wish the back was totally clear (like the right side of the "s") instead of "two tone". Build quality feels great and I think it will protect the back and sides of the phone perfectly for my needs while continuing my "trial". And I got two of them for $13.xx (including shipping) from Amazon, so the price would be hard to beat.

    Two other observations, for what they're worth. The Power and Volume buttons are not cut out in the case. They are still easy to press (easy enough for me anyway) but it's worth noting that it's different than the Cruzerlite case I have for my GNex (cut out). Also, you lose the ridiculously awesome feel of the rounded edges of the glass tapering down to the phone sides. I knew I liked that, but didn't know how much until it was gone.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    Verizon isn't overpriced. That doesn't mean I can't save money with T-Mobile. It just means that T-Mo is a budget provider and Verizon is a premium service provider. You get what you pay for. And right now, I like the hardware choice for the budget provider, and with a new baby due in April, the budget provider may be the best option for me. But it sucks thinking about losing the quality of network/service/speed/truly unlimited data that I have with VZW.
    You won't lose truly unlimited data if you switch to T-Mobile. They offer that for $20 a month. The speeds will also be same, since the Nexus 4 is not an LTE device in the United States.

    If the device is ever released for VZW, you will have to buy it through them. VZW is a CDMA carrier, so they don't support unlocked phones like GSM carriers, such as T-Mobile and AT&T, do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Droid View Post
    Won't argue with you, but according to the store manager at the Burnsville Mall, you are incorrect. This is a new sales model for T-Mobile (he claimed within the last few weeks).
    The previous poster was indeed correct.
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/i...ual-plans.aspx

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  25. #50  

    Default Re: Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

    Accidental double post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone else think Verizon doesn't WANT to release the Nexus?
    By MowDownJoe in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
  2. Anyone leaving Sprint for the S2 ?
    By Zorachus in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 07:24 PM
  3. Seriously considering leaving Verizon for the 3D
    By steevereeno in forum HTC EVO 3D
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
  4. Does anyone have a need for the DL09 update package?
    By Adrynalyne in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
  5. HTC Passion Coming to Verizon for the Holidays?
    By ERDude in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Posting Permissions