Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

pespule

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people make a huge deal about LTE vs HSPA+ if you get good coverage in both areas. Your pages aren't going to "load" any faster if you're running 30 Mbps versus 15-20 Mbps on HSPA+. Only thing that would have a drastic difference in speed would be high definition video which would kill your data off so it's kind of pointless.

kgeier82

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I tested att n4 out with ST. No service or edge with no net at work. Deal breaker for 40$ savings. Also had rattle in speaker so not satisfied. Going back and s3 purchased used.

Maybe next year

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I tested att n4 out with ST. No service or edge with no net at work. Deal breaker for 40$ savings. Also had rattle in speaker so not satisfied. Going back and s3 purchased used.

Maybe next year

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How much is the restocking fee from Google?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it's more:

T-Mobile: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement, or let you use your own phone and knock $15 off the monthly bill. If you cancel early, it's a $200 ETF and the balance of the phone's cost should you have bought a subsidized phone from us.

Everyone else: We'll sell you a discounted phone in return for a 2-year agreement. Bring your own phone and you still pay the full price. Cancel early and you owe us a $350 ETF, reduced by $10/month as the contract ages.

Basically TMob has a small (relatively) ETF but collects the balance of the phone while the other carriers have a one-size fits all much larger ETF, it pretty much balances out.
And the other carriers collect the monthly premium for the subsidized phone whether you bought it from them or not, TMob reduces your bill if you don't go that way.

Hm...not really. Adding the $15/month phone purchase fee brings the T-Mobile plan dangerously close to the VZW monthly plan, but without the coverage or network that you get with Verizon.

They're not "discounting" the monthly service plan if you bring your own phone, they are charging you plenty still for what you get - a third tier mobile network. If you DON'T bring your own phone, you're charged for a much better experience than you're actually getting.

The only way to do T-Mobile is the pre-paid plans or the Straight Talk. And it sounds like they still gimp those by not including any roaming.

And AT&T has crap for data speeds on their 3G (Straight Talk) network.

Bottom line - even as wonderful as the N4 hardware is, there's still no perfect solution (as least for me). That's whats making this decision so hard.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Idk bout the vzw version of the Gnex but I like Sprints version I can hold lte at -115 dbm lol I'm in Chicago btw just my two cents

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Jon Val

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaving Sprint to try out the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile. Allegedly, I should get around 10mbps down in my area, which of course is worlds better than the 100kbps or so I get from Sprint 3G. If I don't, however, I'll be a bit torn, because I really don't want a contract but I also have my wife and son who need good service. Verizon is expensive, but bad coverage has a cost of its own. Probably, I'll give the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile a good workout on a prepaid plan (and with Discover I have 90 days to return the Nexus 4), and if it works I'll get one for them and we'll all go prepaid.

Then, in a few years, hopefully the networks will shake out a bit and we'll see what's possible. I really do think, though, that signing a 2-year contract with ANYONE today is a losing proposition, given that there are currently so many moving parts.

I left Sprint for Straight Talk AT&T, best decision ever. Straight Talk AT&T may not be as fast as the T-Mobile one but my average speed is 5mb down/1mb up, worlds better than sprint. AT&T coverage is way better in my area than that of T-Mobile, and I rather have a reliable connection than a spotty fast connection.

Jon Val

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hm...not really. Adding the $15/month phone purchase fee brings the T-Mobile plan dangerously close to the VZW monthly plan, but without the coverage or network that you get with Verizon.

They're not "discounting" the monthly service plan if you bring your own phone, they are charging you plenty still for what you get - a third tier mobile network. If you DON'T bring your own phone, you're charged for a much better experience than you're actually getting.

The only way to do T-Mobile is the pre-paid plans or the Straight Talk. And it sounds like they still gimp those by not including any roaming.

And AT&T has crap for data speeds on their 3G (Straight Talk) network.

Bottom line - even as wonderful as the N4 hardware is, there's still no perfect solution (as least for me). That's whats making this decision so hard.

There isn't data roaming on Straight Talk, but there is voice roaming. Of course speed isn't the same, so if your attached to it then...no you shouldn't leave Verizon.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry this is a little off topic, but I am looking at cases for the Nexus 4 and was wondering how you like that one.

Could you post a few other pictures of it and with it on the phone if you have it?

Thanks!!! The pictures on their website aren't the best.

Sure, here you go...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmhnnepmnl2oiq4/xXpAXXfuRg

I would say it is a good case. I like that it doesn't have any branding. I wish the back was totally clear (like the right side of the "s") instead of "two tone". Build quality feels great and I think it will protect the back and sides of the phone perfectly for my needs while continuing my "trial". And I got two of them for $13.xx (including shipping) from Amazon, so the price would be hard to beat.

Two other observations, for what they're worth. The Power and Volume buttons are not cut out in the case. They are still easy to press (easy enough for me anyway) but it's worth noting that it's different than the Cruzerlite case I have for my GNex (cut out). Also, you lose the ridiculously awesome feel of the rounded edges of the glass tapering down to the phone sides. I knew I liked that, but didn't know how much until it was gone. :(

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon isn't overpriced. That doesn't mean I can't save money with T-Mobile. It just means that T-Mo is a budget provider and Verizon is a premium service provider. You get what you pay for. And right now, I like the hardware choice for the budget provider, and with a new baby due in April, the budget provider may be the best option for me. But it sucks thinking about losing the quality of network/service/speed/truly unlimited data that I have with VZW.

You won't lose truly unlimited data if you switch to T-Mobile. They offer that for $20 a month. The speeds will also be same, since the Nexus 4 is not an LTE device in the United States.

If the device is ever released for VZW, you will have to buy it through them. VZW is a CDMA carrier, so they don't support unlocked phones like GSM carriers, such as T-Mobile and AT&T, do.

Won't argue with you, but according to the store manager at the Burnsville Mall, you are incorrect. This is a new sales model for T-Mobile (he claimed within the last few weeks).

The previous poster was indeed correct.
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dannyboy414

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure living in pre-2010 was a very difficult time for you. :p

Ok man, this isn't really a tough decision! The short Answer, NO! Do not leave VZW for Tmobile, that's not a very had decision at all!

Living without LTE will be very hard, I tried it for a few days and just couldn't do it. That was me using an N4 with at&t's HSPA network , it's not like it was deathly slow, but my other 2 devices are a GS3, and iPhone 5...Both of which are super speedy using LTE.

However, if your completely sold on the N4, and aren't interested in the DNA, which honestly is a killer device, even with Sense on board. Then I'd really investigate trying out at&t, I can vouch by saying I'm a former VZW customer and have never looked back after leaving for at&t....But that's here in NYC, it really depends on how coverage is in your area.

Ahhhh , decisions, decisions....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A little late to this party, I'm sure I would regret it if I did.

Absolutely love my S3 with LTE and unlimited data. Yes, I had to pay a substantial amount more for it, but it's a great device.

Frankly, I think the "Nexus Experience" is over-rated. If you are an app developer, there's not doubt it's a must have -- but for most folks, I think you actually sacrifice hardware and software features to go Nexus.*

*In no way do I mean that be offensive to anyone who chooses and prefer Nexus devices...just my own opinion. (And yes, I have owned a few).

Last edited:

pltctytc

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
try tmo prepaid with your phone and tmo $30 online plan. 5gb 4g, unltd text, 100 min talk. you can always add more min. try that while still on verizon and see what works for you. works great for me with a galaxy s3 on tmo prepaid. tmo is much better than what it use to be

buying your phone outright and going prepaid is ALWAYS cheaper than contract. ask the thousands converting everyday

verizon is overpriced all the way around no matter what plan or phone. page plus is good for 3g but since affiliated with verizon and obsolete phones(lest you bring your own ) is still on the high side. even verizons prepaid is nothing more than 3g

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
..... I've NEVER had a Verizon rep try to sneak in charges that I didn't specifically ask to have added to my account. I guess that's why they continue to dominate the customer service awards every year.

Not trying to be argumentative, but if Verizon dominates the customer service awards every year, there needs to be an "Oversight Committee" investigation started immediately becuz SOMEONE is definitely on the take...

If u've never had one of their Reps try to strongarm, intimidate, look down upon or be less than interested in ur business, consider urself lucky. they have the absolute worst collective attitude of ANY "consumer product" i have E-V-E-RRRRRRRR encountered. (and i been "consuming" for 50+ years : ) As for T-Mo, i get the "ghetto" observation, but i think a better choice of words would have been "no frills"....

And the sales experience you had is definitely not the norm, they are very nice, helpful & informed, by & large, but i have terrible T-Mo service in my area and am enjoying the Note II on Straight Talk with At&t's towers for 50 bucks a month and never going back, but T-Mo was definitely the most pleasant customer service i have ever received, time after time...and at the time i had them their phones were sub par, but since SGSIII and Note II and now Nexus 4 have arrived on their network, i think if u r in a good coverage area, they are a great cell phone company to have these days....

BTC

cynicist

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a decent coverage area (HSPA+ 42) and I don't regret slashing my bill in half or no longer having to deal with 3g/4g hand offs (though that may be device related). I've had a good experience with Verizon overall but T-mobile doesn't seem to be any different so far.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to be argumentative, but if Verizon dominates the customer service awards every year, there needs to be an "Oversight Committee" investigation started immediately becuz SOMEONE is definitely on the take...

If u've never had one of their Reps try to strongarm, intimidate, look down upon or be less than interested in ur business, consider urself lucky. they have the absolute worst collective attitude of ANY "consumer product" i have E-V-E-RRRRRRRR encountered. (and i been "consuming" for 50+ years : ) As for T-Mo, i get the "ghetto" observation, but i think a better choice of words would have been "no frills"....

And the sales experience you had is definitely not the norm, they are very nice, helpful & informed, by & large, but i have terrible T-Mo service in my area and am enjoying the Note II on Straight Talk with At&t's towers for 50 bucks a month and never going back, but T-Mo was definitely the most pleasant customer service i have ever received, time after time...and at the time i had them their phones were sub par, but since SGSIII and Note II and now Nexus 4 have arrived on their network, i think if u r in a good coverage area, they are a great cell phone company to have these days....

BTC

I'm sorry, are you saying you think J.D. Power and Associates is "on the take" from Verizon for 3 consecutive years?

Verizon Wireless Ranks Highest in Wireless Customer Care Performance among Full-Service Carriers

lolololol

Yeah, good luck with that "Oversight Committee". I get that Verizon is probably too expensive for you (as I add babies to my family and my monthly costs go up, they're getting that way for me too) but don't be silly. They dominate these awards every year for good reason. They have have the best coverage, most reliable network, and best customer service of any carrier out there. That's why they can charge more than everyone and STILL have the highest number of post-paid subscribers. It's not rocket science.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's really hard to regret leaving any service for the N4 in my opinion.. Saving $55 a month using Straight Talk and having unlimited everything? Brilliant. I'll take the slower speeds and just count my money while waiting for something to load.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
That's a great outlook. And I agree. I can live with the slower speeds, but I'm having trouble getting any signal at all in places where I'm very used to having full LTE/CDMA signal with Verizon. Dead zones all over the place with T-Mobile. Will probably try the AT&T ST plan to see if that is any better. If the coverage is solid, and I can still get over 3 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, I'll be a happy camper. Although I do feel dirty teaming up with Walmart. Talk about "ghetto".