Does anyone REGRET leaving Verizon for the N4?

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've read all the posts and threads from everyone who is thrilled with their move. But what about those of you who aren't?

I'm contemplating doing just that. I've been with Big Red for what seems like forever, and my wife and I both have grandfathered unlimited data and GNexii. I've been pleased with the Nexus-lite experience, even if I've never been all that thrilled with Samsung's hardware. Nothing really needs to be said about the quality of the VZW LTE network. But the N4 is tempting me to pastures I've not considered before.

I actually picked up a 16GB version at a local T-Mobile store after convincing the manager to agree to a no-restocking-fee 14 day trial period. Tomorrow will be one week with the phone.

So far, in the Twin Cities, I haven't been thrilled with the HSPA+ service. It's pretty spotty, and sometimes I get NO data at all (not even EDGE), especially when driving on the local highways. The Wifi speeds are also much slower when testing side by side on the same network with my GNexus.

The hardware is sublime. I'm in love with what LG has created. Now I know what iPhone4 users were talking about when they claimed they had a luxurious device. Booting the phone up for the first time and seeing the software update that was released that day (4.2.1) downloading along with my apps restoring was a thing of beauty. 4.2.1 is truly great. Much more pleasant to use than 4.1.1 (yes, I'm currently stock on my GNexus) and that's saying a lot because 4.1.1 is also great.

Here are my concerns:

1. Breaking this thing. My wife cracked the screen on her GNexus, and there is no way she'll be able to use a N4 without destroying it. I baby the crap out of my devices, but even I think I'll break this thing.

2. I'm not going to be happy with T-Mobile in the long run.

3. I've heard whispers that Verizon customers are NOT going to be jealous of Nexus owners after Q1. This makes me very nervous about giving up my unlimited data in the next couple of months. Even if it's not a true Nexus experience, I do believe Motorola is capable of making a device that can beat this thing. And with Punit in charge now, they seem to be living up to their claims to keep Moto phones current.

This has been driving me crazy for a week now. I'm seriously stumped on what to do. One thing I do know is that this thing is going back to T-Mobile this week. Did you know that they don't subsidize phones anymore, even when buying on-contract? They actually have the balls to add a monthly payment ($15) on top of whatever plan you go with until their "full retail" of the phone is paid off. Google really should have taken a hard line stance on providing stock to anyone who is selling the device for more than they are. They certainly didn't have any shortage of demand for it from the Play Store.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for letting me vent. It was nice to get this all out in writing so I can review it over and over again. :)

Thanks,

Matt

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Whats the point of a phone if you dont have service..... I would look into Straight Talk as thats an AT&T MVNO and see if the signal is good

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
You could do the two phone solution for a while if you are willing to go that route. Return the one you have to T-Mobile, then buy one from the play store. You can tether from your GNex for free on Verizon with an app that is in the play store (I can't remember which one but I can find out) so you will have a data connected device. You could also do the prepaid $30 Tmobile plan and have a second phone for not much more per month. If the whispers you are hearing come true you can sell the N4 and go back to one device.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Your decision seems to be already made.

You're not entirely wrong. My decision to return this one to T-Mobile has been made, but I do have two coming from Google that should be here before Jan 1. My wife is all on board, even with our VZW ETFs, I figure we'll save ~$1K by the end of the year using the cheaper T-Mobile plans. She'll use whatever phone I put in front of her (except iPhone, tried that last year, she hated it) so it's up to me to make the hardware decision.

This decision is far from being made. I'm really struggling with it. I already have two TPU covers for our future phones if I don't end up cancelling the order....

6zvy2f.jpg

You could do the two phone solution for a while if you are willing to go that route. Return the one you have to T-Mobile, then buy one from the play store. You can tether from your GNex for free on Verizon with an app that is in the play store (I can't remember which one but I can find out) so you will have a data connected device. You could also do the prepaid $30 Tmobile plan and have a second phone for not much more per month. If the whispers you are hearing come true you can sell the N4 and go back to one device.

I've considered this heavily, but one of the requirements in my proposed plan is that we kill the VZW contracts to save on our monthly budget. Still not ruling this out though, at least for the short term.

Thanks for the replies!

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Not at all.
In 6 months, my ETF will be more than paid for.

That's definitely one of the huge draws. But on the other hand, the whole T-Mobile set up just feels a little....ghetto to me. Why oh why doesn't Google just jump into the game and be my carrier as well? (I know the answer to this, but I can still dream)

SeanNYC76

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok man, this isn't really a tough decision! The short Answer, NO! Do not leave VZW for Tmobile, that's not a very had decision at all!

Living without LTE will be very hard, I tried it for a few days and just couldn't do it. That was me using an N4 with at&t's HSPA network , it's not like it was deathly slow, but my other 2 devices are a GS3, and iPhone 5...Both of which are super speedy using LTE.

However, if your completely sold on the N4, and aren't interested in the DNA, which honestly is a killer device, even with Sense on board. Then I'd really investigate trying out at&t, I can vouch by saying I'm a former VZW customer and have never looked back after leaving for at&t....But that's here in NYC, it really depends on how coverage is in your area.

Ahhhh , decisions, decisions....

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on coverage where you live and work. Aside from a few weird dead zones, T-Mobile has great coverage around me so I don't miss Verizon at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile still offers subsidies on their classic plans. Value plans are the only ones with payments. Value plans are great for those of us who buy unlocked phones but need more than the basic prepaid plans can offer.

You're better off buying the Nexus 4 direct from Google instead of T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile coverage isn't good enough, AT&T is worth a shot either directly or through an MVNO. Although they don't have a great reputation, I have found their wireless network to work very well in a lot of places. Many times as good as Verizon, sometimes better, and sometimes a little worse. Can't say the same about their DSL service but that is a rant for another forum.

I had Verizon for years and was always disappointed with the software on their devices. They were buggy and bloated with junk. While these issues could be addressed, one shouldn't have to void warranties to have a reliable phone. Once I started having network issues I decided it was time to explore other options. They have some real nice phones now, so I nope they have improved their software because Verizon still is a a good choice for a lot of people, especially those in very rural areas. I don't regret switching based on my current needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't regret leaving at all got a cheap plan that meets my needs and no more " carrier approved updates". T-Mobile may never be as good as Verizon but for the cost it does the job.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You guys are complaining about things being overpriced, but you are VZW subscribers? T-Mobile gives you to most bang for your buck as far as wireless service is concerned.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys are complaining about things being overpriced, but you are VZW subscribers? T-Mobile gives you to most bang for your buck as far as wireless service is concerned.

Verizon isn't overpriced. That doesn't mean I can't save money with T-Mobile. It just means that T-Mo is a budget provider and Verizon is a premium service provider. You get what you pay for. And right now, I like the hardware choice for the budget provider, and with a new baby due in April, the budget provider may be the best option for me. But it sucks thinking about losing the quality of network/service/speed/truly unlimited data that I have with VZW.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't regret leaving at all got a cheap plan that meets my needs and no more " carrier approved updates". T-Mobile may never be as good as Verizon but for the cost it does the job.

I know it's unlikely, but if Verizon were to get a "true" Nexus within the next 6 months that is better in every way than the N4, get's direct immediate software updates from Google, and is sold on the cheap on the Play Store, would you regret it then?

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile still offers subsidies on their classic plans. Value plans are the only ones with payments. Value plans are great for those of us who buy unlocked phones but need more than the basic prepaid plans can offer.

Won't argue with you, but according to the store manager at the Burnsville Mall, you are incorrect. This is a new sales model for T-Mobile (he claimed within the last few weeks).

You're better off buying the Nexus 4 direct from Google instead of T-Mobile.

lol - you don't say? ;)

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok man, this isn't really a tough decision! The short Answer, NO! Do not leave VZW for Tmobile, that's not a very had decision at all!

Living without LTE will be very hard, I tried it for a few days and just couldn't do it. That was me using an N4 with at&t's HSPA network , it's not like it was deathly slow, but my other 2 devices are a GS3, and iPhone 5...Both of which are super speedy using LTE.

However, if your completely sold on the N4, and aren't interested in the DNA, which honestly is a killer device, even with Sense on board. Then I'd really investigate trying out at&t, I can vouch by saying I'm a former VZW customer and have never looked back after leaving for at&t....But that's here in NYC, it really depends on how coverage is in your area.

Ahhhh , decisions, decisions....

I'm interested in the DNA, but the retail cost through VZW to keep unlimited data is just too high. And since all of my lines are due to end their contracts during 2013, I don't really want to sign into any new ones. Looking forward to the freedom to change carriers without ETF fees. Maybe I'll check craigslist for any deals on a DNA. I'm happy with my GNex for another year or so if it comes down to it, but my wife has cracked her screen pretty good and needs a replacement sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7